How do trail names work?

  • sebastiantoney
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2006
      In the bicycle touring world we don't have nicknames for ppl. So what
      is the purpose of a trail name in the hiking universe?
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
        wrote:

        > In the bicycle touring world we don't have nicknames for ppl. So what
        > is the purpose of a trail name in the hiking universe?

        How many John's and Dave's hike each year? But if you're "Dances with
        Kinniknick" people will be able to differentiate you from the other
        folks with your name. Plus some people just like it to add color to
        their lives.

        So there really isn't a "purpose" besides what any nickname has. Just
        something people do.
      • Rat
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2006
          That is how they work, but it isn't the fun part. Getting one is the
          fun part. Usually you do something totally stupid and get stuck with
          it the rest of your life.

          Mine is a hold over from when I was younger and spent all my time at
          the river, therefore I am River Rat, Rat for short. However, I have a
          friend whose nick name is Treeface, and no, it isn't because he looks
          like a tree. :) Some people have all the fun...

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...>