Re: Taco shell length vs. sil-poncho?!?!

  • Gregg Spoering
    Message 1 of 15 , May 5, 2003
      Both Campmor and ID make Silnylon extention ponchos that are 104" long
      for wearing over a pack. If the poncho has a folded over seam down the
      sides, perhaps a line could be snaked through. Better yet, Make your own
      poncho and customize it however you want (Sgt Rock has a design on his
      site), or possibly you could add velcro to a long poncho and the outside
      of your hammock (kind of what Flyfisher is doing with his latest
      insulator) then you don't need the line along the edges. For that
      matter, I'm not sure those lines are absolutely neccessary. I think
      short lines from the corners would work. Rick? Ray?
      Gregg

      Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 02:20:01 -0000
      From: "tburnettcis" <tburnettcis@...>

      I own a HH UL and am thinking about making a Garlington Taco. While
      searching for shell material, I thought about the various Sil-ponchos
      available. Such as...

      http://www.integraldesigns.com/bspo.htm
      http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?
      prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=9996340

      However, these are a bit sorter (7'-8') than the 9' recomended. And,
      with the ponchos it would be a bit difficult to run a line down the
      long edges. So, the long sides of the taco would probably only be
      supported by an eyelet, or three.

      Would this work? Or do I really need a 9' shell in order to get a
      good seal? How important is having full length support along the
      long edges?
    • Tony Burnett
      Message 2 of 15 , May 5, 2003
        I was just looking at the Equinox
        (http://www.equinoxltd.com/Cart/description.php?II=2004) "Extension"
        version (58"x104") during my lunch break at Galyan's. It does indeed
        have a fold along the edges, that I think (with a bit of luck and
        patience) I could run a cord through.

        What about the length? At 8'8" that is only 4" short of the 9'
        mentioned on the "official Garlington Taco" site.

        --- Gregg Spoering <gspoerin@...> wrote:
        > Both Campmor and ID make Silnylon extention ponchos that are 104"
        > long
        > for wearing over a pack. If the poncho has a folded over seam down
        > the
        > sides, perhaps a line could be snaked through. Better yet, Make
        > your own
        > poncho and customize it however you want (Sgt Rock has a design on
        > his
        > site), or possibly you could add velcro to a long poncho and the
        > outside
        > of your hammock (kind of what Flyfisher is doing with his latest
        > insulator) then you don't need the line along the edges. For that
        > matter, I'm not sure those lines are absolutely neccessary. I think
        > short lines from the corners would work. Rick? Ray?
        > Gregg
        >

        > Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 02:20:01 -0000
        > From: "tburnettcis" <tburnettcis@...>
        >
        > I own a HH UL and am thinking about making a Garlington Taco.
        > While
        > searching for shell material, I thought about the various
        > Sil-ponchos
        > available. Such as...
        >
        > http://www.integraldesigns.com/bspo.htm
        > http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?
        > prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=9996340
        >
        > However, these are a bit sorter (7'-8') than the 9' recomended.
        > And,
        > with the ponchos it would be a bit difficult to run a line down the
        > long edges. So, the long sides of the taco would probably only be
        > supported by an eyelet, or three.
        >
        > Would this work? Or do I really need a 9' shell in order to get a
        > good seal? How important is having full length support along the
        > long edges?

        =====
        Tony
        Columbus, OH

        http://search.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 15 , May 9, 2003
          How to use a poncho as an insulator: Notes from Dayton...

          My experience is that you need a way to gather the ends... This
          generally is a drawcord in a hem... I have worked out a way to tuck
          the plastic stopper in the hem without losing it.

          Then you need to find a way to hold the edges of the poncho against
          the hammock so wind does not get in. I presently feel that some
          method of connecting the snaps of a poncho to the edge of the hammock
          is best. If you have velcro along the edge of the hammock, then a
          piece of velcro attached to a snap (matching the snap on the poncho)
          should work. If you do not have velcro (like with the HH) then it is
          a bit more problematic... you will probably need to either attach a
          snap or a piece of velcro to the edge of the hammock. Sewing the
          velcro would do less damage than putting a snap in the fabric and
          would probably last longer.

          Alternatively, using the original drawstring along the edge like Ray
          shows in his photos would work pretty well, until the winds kick up
          to above 10-15 mph.

          Rick

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Gregg Spoering <gspoerin@s...>
          wrote:
          > Both Campmor and ID make Silnylon extention ponchos that are 104"
          long
          > for wearing over a pack. If the poncho has a folded over seam down
          the
          > sides, perhaps a line could be snaked through. Better yet, Make
          your own
          > poncho and customize it however you want (Sgt Rock has a design on
          his
          > site), or possibly you could add velcro to a long poncho and the
          outside
          > of your hammock (kind of what Flyfisher is doing with his latest
          > insulator) then you don't need the line along the edges. For that
          > matter, I'm not sure those lines are absolutely neccessary. I think
          > short lines from the corners would work. Rick? Ray?
          > Gregg
          >

          > Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 02:20:01 -0000
          > From: "tburnettcis" <tburnettcis@y...>
          >
          > I own a HH UL and am thinking about making a Garlington Taco. While
          > searching for shell material, I thought about the various Sil-
          ponchos
          > available. Such as...
          >
          > http://www.integraldesigns.com/bspo.htm
          > http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?
          > prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=9996340
          >
          > However, these are a bit sorter (7'-8') than the 9' recomended.
          And,
          > with the ponchos it would be a bit difficult to run a line down the
          > long edges. So, the long sides of the taco would probably only be
          > supported by an eyelet, or three.
          >
          > Would this work? Or do I really need a 9' shell in order to get a
          > good seal? How important is having full length support along the
          > long edges?
        • Tony Burnett
          Message 4 of 15 , May 9, 2003
            --- Rick <geoflyfisher@...> wrote:
            > How to use a poncho as an insulator: Notes from Dayton...
            >
            > My experience is that you need a way to gather the ends... This
            > generally is a drawcord in a hem... I have worked out a way to tuck

            > the plastic stopper in the hem without losing it.

            So, I need some means to seal off the shell as best as I can,
            correct? At both ends as well as along the sides. I wouldn't have
            to run velcro along the entire edge would I (I have HH UL)? Just a
            few well placed patches ought to suffice?

            Can you provide more details regarding your stopper trick?

            =====
            Tony
            Columbus, OH

            http://search.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 15 , May 9, 2003
              Morning Tony,

              I just did a rough drawing of the way the hem and stopper can be
              arranged to hide the stopper (so it does not bang around at the hem
              of the poncho and the cord does not hang up on brush.)

              Look under photos/Flyfisher's album/hemdetails

              Rick

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tony Burnett
              <tburnettcis@y...> wrote:
              > --- Rick <geoflyfisher@y...> wrote:
              > > How to use a poncho as an insulator: Notes from Dayton...
              > >
              > > My experience is that you need a way to gather the ends... This
              > > generally is a drawcord in a hem... I have worked out a way to
              tuck

              > > the plastic stopper in the hem without losing it.
              >
              > So, I need some means to seal off the shell as best as I can,
              > correct? At both ends as well as along the sides. I wouldn't have
              > to run velcro along the entire edge would I (I have HH UL)? Just a
              > few well placed patches ought to suffice?
              >
              > Can you provide more details regarding your stopper trick?
              >

              > =====
              > Tony
              > Columbus, OH

              > http://search.yahoo.com
            • Tony Burnett
              Message 6 of 15 , May 9, 2003
                --- Rick <geoflyfisher@...> wrote:
                > Morning Tony,
                >
                > I just did a rough drawing of the way the hem and stopper can be
                > arranged to hide the stopper (so it does not bang around at the hem
                >
                > of the poncho and the cord does not hang up on brush.)
                >
                > Look under photos/Flyfisher's album/hemdetails
                Thanks. That picture is worth a 1000 words.<g>

                Switching topics. I see that you have been to Zaleski (I live in
                Columbus). Nice weekend place. Have you been to Shawnee yet? I've
                heard that it is significatly tougher than Zaleski.

                =====
                Tony
                Columbus, OH

                http://search.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 15 , May 9, 2003
                  Last trip to Shawnee SF was ....

                  working...

                  50-17=33

                  hmmm...

                  33 years ago.

                  I guess I am due to return.

                  Last time I was there I was putting timber rattle snakes into burlap
                  bags. Be careful turning over logs down that way unless you are
                  looking for the pretty little things.

                  <tburnettcis@y...> wrote:

                  > --- Rick <geoflyfisher@y...> wrote:
                  > > Morning Tony,
                  > >
                  > > I just did a rough drawing of the way the hem and stopper can be
                  > > arranged to hide the stopper (so it does not bang around at the
                  hem

                  > > of the poncho and the cord does not hang up on brush.)
                  > >
                  > > Look under photos/Flyfisher's album/hemdetails
                  > Thanks. That picture is worth a 1000 words.<g>
                  >
                  > Switching topics. I see that you have been to Zaleski (I live in
                  > Columbus). Nice weekend place. Have you been to Shawnee yet? I've
                  > heard that it is significatly tougher than Zaleski.
                  >

                  > =====
                  > Tony
                  > Columbus, OH

                  > http://search.yahoo.com
                • Sean Keplinger
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 9, 2003
                    On Fri, 9 May 2003, Tony Burnett wrote:

                    > Switching topics. I see that you have been to Zaleski (I live in
                    > Columbus). Nice weekend place. Have you been to Shawnee yet? I've
                    > heard that it is significatly tougher than Zaleski.

                    Sorry to jump in -- I went on a trip to Shawnee last year. We went
                    counter-clockwise on the loop, but only to the first camp (Camp 7). There
                    were quite a few ups and downs. Not a lot to see, but very secluded.
                    Campsite was nice, had an outhouse down the way, plus a well with
                    city water trucked in. I have pictures from the trip on my website:

                    http://spookyworld.dnsalias.com/bhjp/d/33

                    Sean
                    --
                    \___/ Sean Keplinger
                    |o,o| skeplin at one dot net
                    \/ ) http://spookyworld.dnsalias.com
                    ----mm-----------------------------------
                  • Sean Keplinger
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 9, 2003
                      On Fri, 9 May 2003, Rick wrote:

                      > Last time I was there I was putting timber rattle snakes into burlap
                      > bags. Be careful turning over logs down that way unless you are
                      > looking for the pretty little things.

                      You missed one! ;^)

                      We stopped in the lodge to check out what was there and saw the timber
                      rattler on display there. We didn't expect to see one in the wild, but
                      came across one about a mile from the campsite. I have pictures (see my

                      Sean
                      --
                      \___/ Sean Keplinger
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 10, 2003
                        --- Rick <geoflyfisher@...> wrote:
                        > Last trip to Shawnee SF was ....
                        >
                        > working...
                        >
                        > 50-17=33
                        >
                        > hmmm...
                        >
                        > 33 years ago.
                        >
                        > I guess I am due to return.

                        If you plan a trip soon, make sure you call first. The roads
                        (recently open) and the trails (still closed) have been closed since
                        the ice storm this spring.

                        http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/Forests/stateforests/shawnee.htm

                        Check out the pictures.

                        =====
                        Tony
                        Columbus, OH

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 10, 2003
                          Nice report/pics.

                          > Sorry to jump in -- I went on a trip to Shawnee last year. We went
                          > counter-clockwise on the loop, but only to the first camp (Camp 7).
                          > There
                          > were quite a few ups and downs. Not a lot to see, but very
                          > secluded.
                          > Campsite was nice, had an outhouse down the way, plus a well with
                          > city water trucked in. I have pictures from the trip on my website:
                          >
                          > http://spookyworld.dnsalias.com/bhjp/d/33

                          =====
                          Tony
                          Columbus, OH

                          http://search.yahoo.com
                        • Ray Garlington
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 10, 2003
                            > > of your hammock (kind of what Flyfisher is doing with his latest
                            > > insulator) then you don't need the line along the edges. For that
                            > > matter, I'm not sure those lines are absolutely neccessary. I
                            think short lines from the corners would work. Rick? Ray?
                            > > Gregg

                            8.5' is just about right for either the speer hammock or the HH. 9'
                            is not necessary (and now I think is a little long). Also not
                            necessary are the draw strings along the long edges. I will be
                            working on an update to the design to show something a little
                            simpler. (basically a 5'x8.5' silnylon tarp with a drawstring at the
                            footend.)
                          • Tony Burnett
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 12, 2003
                              Thanks.

                              So, how do you connect it at the head end?
                              --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:
                              > > > of your hammock (kind of what Flyfisher is doing with his
                              > latest
                              > > > insulator) then you don't need the line along the edges. For
                              > that
                              > > > matter, I'm not sure those lines are absolutely neccessary. I
                              > think short lines from the corners would work. Rick? Ray?
                              > > > Gregg
                              >

                              > 8.5' is just about right for either the speer hammock or the HH.
                              > 9'
                              > is not necessary (and now I think is a little long). Also not
                              > necessary are the draw strings along the long edges. I will be
                              > working on an update to the design to show something a little
                              > simpler. (basically a 5'x8.5' silnylon tarp with a drawstring at
                              > the
                              > footend.)

                              =====
                              Tony
                              Columbus, OH

                              http://search.yahoo.com
                            • Ray Garlington
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 12, 2003
                                > So, how do you connect it at the head end?

                                both the head end & the foot end of the tarp are connected to the
                                hammock support lines. When tying, match the tension of the long edge
                                of the tarp to the tension of the hammock's long edge. Then at the
                                head end, gather the tarp to the support rope and tie it in place. At
                                the foot end, connect a pull string to the tarp's draw string, and
                                pass it through a loop tied to the hammock's support line.

                                Then add insulation, pull the draw cord to bring insulation up to the
                                hammock bottom, and tie the draw cord to the hammocks ridge line.