Re: Hammock ropes

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2003
      Debra

      The small rope on the newer Hennessys is very strong for such small
      diameter rope. This is good for weight savings. All Hennessys now
      come with Tree Hugger straps which you then attach the hammock ropes
      too. The figure 8 knot (Shane has an execelent vidio of how to tie
      it on his placewithnoname site) works great becaus it is easy to
      untie. Whih such small rope any other knot can be a bear to untie.
      If you get rope from West Marine you will still need a short strap
      with loops in both ends for attachining it to the hammock, or do it
      like the photo Ray Garlinton shows which might not cut the fabric.
      It sounds like you are planning to build a hammock. I would
      probably just go with webbing only for each end. You would only
      need to sew the one loop around the overhead knot. It is simpler,
      fewer pieces to keep up with etc. Then use the pulse line from West
      Marine for fly tieouts and bug net ridgeline, unless you figure out
      Ricks ridgelineless system, which sounds cool. Sorry I did not
      really answer your question. If you do go with the spectra I'd get
      some fairly large rope more for ease of untying different knots than
      strength. 1/4 inch or larger is a guess. I need to look up the grape-
      vine knot you mention to better answer you.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2003
        Message
        Deb, yur experiment with dacron or spectra rope should work--use any with strengths of +900 lbs....Ed