Hammock ropes

  • Debra Weisenstein
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2003
      Question to those who have made hammocks with rope attachments (and
      treehuggers). What type of rope, what diameter, and what length?
      Hennessey claims 1450 lb. test Spectra reinforced ropes with tightly
      braided polyester covering. Spectra reinfored ropes are available at
      West Marine, but what diameter is recommended? I know also that
      dacron ropes do not stretch (we used to use them for winching canoes
      out of rivers). I think I would attach ropes to a Speer hammock using
      a half-grapevine knot set up as a slipknot behind the hammock knot.
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2003
        Debra

        The small rope on the newer Hennessys is very strong for such small
        diameter rope. This is good for weight savings. All Hennessys now
        come with Tree Hugger straps which you then attach the hammock ropes
        too. The figure 8 knot (Shane has an execelent vidio of how to tie
        it on his placewithnoname site) works great becaus it is easy to
        untie. Whih such small rope any other knot can be a bear to untie.
        If you get rope from West Marine you will still need a short strap
        with loops in both ends for attachining it to the hammock, or do it
        like the photo Ray Garlinton shows which might not cut the fabric.
        It sounds like you are planning to build a hammock. I would
        probably just go with webbing only for each end. You would only
        need to sew the one loop around the overhead knot. It is simpler,
        fewer pieces to keep up with etc. Then use the pulse line from West
        Marine for fly tieouts and bug net ridgeline, unless you figure out
        Ricks ridgelineless system, which sounds cool. Sorry I did not
        really answer your question. If you do go with the spectra I'd get
        some fairly large rope more for ease of untying different knots than
        strength. 1/4 inch or larger is a guess. I need to look up the grape-
        vine knot you mention to better answer you.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2003
          Message
          Deb, yur experiment with dacron or spectra rope should work--use any with strengths of +900 lbs....Ed