Re: "Tree-Hugger" Straps...

  • Gregg Spoering
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2003
      Rick,
      I just returned from Gettysburg last week, and the rules there are very specific as far as tying anything to trees. No hammocks, tent lines, guy lines, etc. I imagine that any historic area will be very restrictive.
      Gregg

      > In fact, so much tree damage has been done by these hammocks in the
      > past, that some government parks, preserves and campgrounds already
      > prohibit the hanging of any hammock from trees.

      I completely buy your argument.  It makes sense.

      It does raise a couple questions:

      - what parks already prohibit?  I want to stay away from or not be
      obvious there.  Certainly showing a ranger at that park that I am
      doing no-impact camping by using a hammock would be a bad idea!

      - What evidence exists at present to show that hammocks using ropes
      have harmed trees (not the lawn hammocks which are left up for
      months, but even frequent hanging of camping hammocks

      - What evidence already exists to show that straps (either strap
      hanging of the hammock or tree huggers) eliminate the damage

      - What kind of study can we do to show and publish and use to
      persuade officials to allow hammock hanging of appropriate hammocks?

      Rick

    • blqysmg
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5, 2003
        I just got back from a camping trip to St Augustine, Fl. We were in
        the most beautiful tropical jungle, surrounded by pine, live oak, and
        tons of ground cover.

        While my wife was setting up the inside of the camper, I was busy
        selecting trees for the hammock. I had my tree-hugger straps out,
        and had the hammock slung over my shoulders when the ranger came by.

        The first thing he said to me was not, "welcome to Florida," but "You
        are not allowed to attach anything to any of the trees." They have
        effectively banned setting up hammocks.

        I was disappointed, since I'd just found the perfect pair of trees,
        but I wasn't stopped completely. I'd brought bamboo supports with
        me, so I used them instead of the trees. If everyone went to non-
        destructive tree-huggers, they might lift the ban.

        I used to do a lot of caving, and made most of my own climbing gear.
        We used to buy two inch poly webbing that was rated at around 6000
        lbs breaking strength. (Basically seat belt material) We also would
        get three inch webbing every once in a while. We would use it for leg
        loops, which are much more comfortable than two inch loops, and also
        for tree-huggers.

        A properly sewn three inch wide, three foot long strap, with loops at
        each end would be secure, and incredibly strong. You can also find
        three inch wide cargo and two strap webbing that's rated 20,000 lbs,
        with basically no streach at our level of use.

        David Chamness
      • blqysmg
        Message 3 of 10 , May 5, 2003
          Oops, that should have been tow strap, not two strap. Even with
          preview I didn't catch it.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "blqysmg"