Re: Condensation

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2003
      Todd

      Good question. I'm not the scientist on board so I may get
      corrected. But perhaps what is happening is similar to a glass of
      ice tea in the summer. The tea is cold inside the glass and the
      condensation forms outside the glass Dah. Ok not earthbraking news.
      Consider the air on a cold night under the hammock (and pad) the
      cold tea inside the glass. Now our body on the other side is the
      warm air outside the glass. Condensation is drawn to the warm side.

      On the ground Our bodies slowly warm the ground under the pad so
      less condensation builds up on top. Less differance in temps on
      both sides of the pad I'm guessing is the short answer.

      Coy Boy

      -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "upricon" <thomchick@s...>
      wrote:
      > Why do pads condensate inside a hammock but not on the ground. Is
      it
      > because of the reflectix
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bronco372003" <hlusk@p...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hello to everyone, I really enjoy this forum. Great info. I
      sleep
      > > in a HH and I made a new sleeping pad last week and tried it out
      > the
      > > other night. I used a 3/8" closed cell pad 27" x 72" , I made
      > wings
      > > from my shoulders to my waist Overall width was 34"(I am broad
      in
      > > the shoulders) and I attached a piece or 5/16" Reflectix from my
      > > shoulders to my butt. The temp was about 29 degs F. and
      snowing. I
      > > was quite warm all night but in the morning I had some
      > condensation.

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2003
        I forgot to add. Putting a fleece layer between the body and
        reflectic or other pad for that matter seems to reduce the
        condensation or allows it to evaporate better or a combination of
        both. This can be a flece blanket or fleece clothes. Much like
        cloth seats are cooler than plastic like seats in a car. I know,
        more weight, but in the winter that is a given anyway. Much of last
        winters reaserch team The Ohio gang and Mr Garlington mostly found
        some fairly light solutions but there is more work to be done. Your
        Serria experiances will add knowledge to the mix. We await your
        findings.

        Coy Boy

        > Todd
        >
        > Good question. I'm not the scientist on board so I may get
        > corrected. But perhaps what is happening is similar to a glass of
        > ice tea in the summer. The tea is cold inside the glass and the
        > condensation forms outside the glass Dah. Ok not earthbraking
        news.
        > Consider the air on a cold night under the hammock (and pad) the
        > cold tea inside the glass. Now our body on the other side is the
        > warm air outside the glass. Condensation is drawn to the warm
        side.

        > On the ground Our bodies slowly warm the ground under the pad so
        > less condensation builds up on top. Less differance in temps on
        > both sides of the pad I'm guessing is the short answer.
        >
        > Coy Boy
        >
        > -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "upricon" <thomchick@s...>
        > wrote:
        > > Why do pads condensate inside a hammock but not on the ground.
        Is
        > it
        > > because of the reflectix
        > >

        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bronco372003"
        <hlusk@p...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Hello to everyone, I really enjoy this forum. Great info. I
        > sleep
        > > > in a HH and I made a new sleeping pad last week and tried it
        out
        > > the
        > > > other night. I used a 3/8" closed cell pad 27" x 72" , I made
        > > wings
        > > > from my shoulders to my waist Overall width was 34"(I am broad
        > in
        > > > the shoulders) and I attached a piece or 5/16" Reflectix from
        my
        > > > shoulders to my butt. The temp was about 29 degs F. and
        > snowing. I
        > > > was quite warm all night but in the morning I had some
        > > condensation.

      • jlevans7
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9, 2004
          Good afternoon,
          I currently use a couple of overlaping blue, closed cell foam pads as
          insulation for my HH. I use this during the spring and fall. I
          notice there is usually some condensation on the pads resulting in
          dampness on the bottom of my sleeping bag in the mornings. Any
          thoughts on prevention of this condensation?

          Jackie
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 9, 2004
            Jackie,

            My opinion is that your closed cell foam pads act as a vapor
            barrier. Since you are most likely staying in pretty much one
            position all night, it doesn't give your insensible perspiration a
            chance to evaporate like it does when you toss & turn when sleeping
            on the ground. My advice is to try controlling your perspiration.
            One way is to incorporate some wicking fabric against the pads
            (sleeve or wrap). Another way is to try sleeping in different
            positions during the night (back & side). Another way is to wear
            vapor barrier clothing (rain gear). Another approach is to use a
            closed cell foam pad with open cells for the top pad (Zrest,
            Ridgerest, egg crate) and hope the condensation that collects in the
            open cells doesn't wet your bag.

            I suspect that there are many other possible solutions, this web site
            http://chattanooga.net/~cdp/hammock/hammock.htm describes a homemade
            hammock that has sewn-in breathable synthetic insulation in addition
            to a closed cell foam pad (that was in a sleeve). He was still
            getting condensation so he cut many tiny holes in the closed cell
            foam to make it breathable. I don't know if the tiny hole approach
            would work with stacked pads, but it is an idea worth knowing about.

            Youngblood

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jlevans7"
            <jackiethehiker@b...> wrote:
            > Good afternoon,
            > I currently use a couple of overlaping blue, closed cell foam pads
            as
            > insulation for my HH. I use this during the spring and fall. I
            > notice there is usually some condensation on the pads resulting in
            > dampness on the bottom of my sleeping bag in the mornings. Any
            > thoughts on prevention of this condensation?
            >
            > Jackie
          • Risk
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 9, 2004
              <jackiethehiker@b...> wrote:
              > Good afternoon,
              > I currently use a couple of overlaping blue, closed cell foam pads as
              > insulation for my HH. I use this during the spring and fall. I
              > notice there is usually some condensation on the pads resulting in
              > dampness on the bottom of my sleeping bag in the mornings. Any
              > thoughts on prevention of this condensation?
              >
              > Jackie

              Hi Jackie,

              The closed cell pad is a vapor barrier, so what ever is between me and
              it will get a little moist. What I do is wear clothing that easily
              wicks the moisture and does not feel very wet. I use a coolmax tee
              and nylon shorts. If necessary, I wear a thin fleece pullover and
              pants (or polypropyline long johns).

              I open the bag except for the last couple feet, to use it like a
              quilt, or (better) use a quilt I built. This puts me against the pad
              so the bag's insulation is all doing the job I want it to do. It
              keeps me warm instead of getting wet from my perspiration.

              Perhaps some of these ideas will allow you to experiment on your own
              and find a solution that works well for you.