Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Success, Failure and no such thing as 'A Perfect' set up.

Expand Messages
  • Rat
    Failures first: I have been working to build a Tarp that would also convert into a Weather Shield/Shelter or Bivy. The basic design was a take-off of
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Failures first: I have been working to build a Tarp that would also
      convert into a Weather Shield/Shelter or Bivy. The basic design was a
      take-off of Youngblood's Tarp Tent design. What I ended up with is a
      piece of fabric 12 feet by 11 feet sporting 24 tie-out points and 10
      feet of Omni Tape. Pitching it like a tarp is just as easy as a
      regular tarp. converting it to the bivy is not so easy. I designed it
      to totally wrap around the hammock like a weather shield, but not
      touch the hammock. Thus creating an area of dead air around the
      hammock. I used a lace-up system on the bottom to achieve this. To
      pitch the bivy takes about 20 minutes total. However it is a pain to
      get in and out of, you hafta untie and retie each time, either that
      or walk out on the fabric. So in and out is very difficult. Plus,
      extreme care must be taken to keep it all wind proof, no flapping.
      Which means I would need Sling Shot tensioners on 10 of the tie-outs,
      big weight penalty, not to mention the sheer number of tent stakes
      that are needed. I have abandoned all further design. It will be much
      easier and lighter to have a separate Weather Sheild.

      The Weather Shield is going to be integral with the FrankenPod. Since
      the only time it is really needed is in the extreme winter cold. The
      FrankedPod will be from body out, supplex, insulation (synthetic),
      and SilNylon, vented at the head using no-seeum mesh. The proto type
      is working very well so far.

      In Temperatures above 25 degrees I will be using a modified SPE
      system. While I orignally disliked the pad system due to the *not as
      comfortable as the hammock body* argument I have since revisited this
      area of insulation. Why? Well, my FrankenPod really scrunches me up,
      especially at the foot. My attempts to make it wider only caused air
      gaps in the insulation under me, to which draw cords and or elastic
      was used to close the gaps. Anyway, it really didn't work. So, a pad
      is more comfortable than being all scrunched up so I built a pad. I
      used a military CCF pad as the base. Instead of sewing a full blown
      SPE I just sewed the *wings* directly to the pad (I know, a pad with
      wings:)). 12 inchers for the shoulder and 10 inchers for the lower
      portion. I slept comfortable down to 25 degrees with just the pads
      and a top blanket on Saturday. I was very happy, and comfy.

      As many of you know I use a *Through the whip suspension* for my
      Hammock suspension ropes. While testing the new FrankenPod on Sunday
      one of my lightweight poly ropes broke right at the end of the whip.
      While it isn't a really big deal, if faced with this in the field, I
      would hafta untie and then re-tie the whiping to make the repair. If
      it would have happened at 3 am in the morning in 20 degree weather I
      would have been very upset. However, my fix was to use good quality
      poly webbing under the whiping with about 10 inches sticking out and
      then tie my support ropes on to this by way of a sheet bend. This
      also makes trying other types of rope easier than before and I still
      have the nice look and lay of the support ropes through the whiping.

      My new tarp is a 10 X 10 cat cut tarp of Youngblood design. I am able
      to create a shelter of sorts, like in Youngblood's pictures, using
      these dimensions. However, the head room is quite a bit less than
      when you use the dimensions that he used. But I figured it would be
      used as a tarp more than a shelter, so I opted for the headroom trade-

      I built a Pack Cover/Gear Hammock of Jeff's design, 60 X 42 inches
      out of SilNylon. It also holds about 5 gallons of water! That gear
      hammock is REALLY handy.

      The top quilt is synthetic and can also be used as a camp robe, it's
      a recycled sleeping bag.

      My sewing skills have really improved, expecially since I found the
      book on the sewing machine. Lots of good tips in that thing.

      I have started buying my thread in the embroidery spools, 1100 yards
      compared to 225 yards per spool, for only about double the price.

      My next trip is in two weeks. Can't wait! :)

      BTW, everything I used on my last trip was made by my hands, now THAT
      is COOL!
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.