Re: Condensation

  • upricon
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2003
      Why do pads condensate inside a hammock but not on the ground. Is it
      because of the reflectix

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bronco372003" <hlusk@p...>
      wrote:
      > Hello to everyone, I really enjoy this forum. Great info. I sleep
      > in a HH and I made a new sleeping pad last week and tried it out
      the
      > other night. I used a 3/8" closed cell pad 27" x 72" , I made
      wings
      > from my shoulders to my waist Overall width was 34"(I am broad in
      > the shoulders) and I attached a piece or 5/16" Reflectix from my
      > shoulders to my butt. The temp was about 29 degs F. and snowing. I
      > was quite warm all night but in the morning I had some
      condensation.

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2003
        Todd

        Good question. I'm not the scientist on board so I may get
        corrected. But perhaps what is happening is similar to a glass of
        ice tea in the summer. The tea is cold inside the glass and the
        condensation forms outside the glass Dah. Ok not earthbraking news.
        Consider the air on a cold night under the hammock (and pad) the
        cold tea inside the glass. Now our body on the other side is the
        warm air outside the glass. Condensation is drawn to the warm side.

        On the ground Our bodies slowly warm the ground under the pad so
        less condensation builds up on top. Less differance in temps on
        both sides of the pad I'm guessing is the short answer.

        Coy Boy

        -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "upricon" <thomchick@s...>
        wrote:
        > Why do pads condensate inside a hammock but not on the ground. Is
        it
        > because of the reflectix
        >

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bronco372003" <hlusk@p...>
        > wrote:
        > > Hello to everyone, I really enjoy this forum. Great info. I
        sleep
        > > in a HH and I made a new sleeping pad last week and tried it out
        > the
        > > other night. I used a 3/8" closed cell pad 27" x 72" , I made
        > wings
        > > from my shoulders to my waist Overall width was 34"(I am broad
        in
        > > the shoulders) and I attached a piece or 5/16" Reflectix from my
        > > shoulders to my butt. The temp was about 29 degs F. and
        snowing. I
        > > was quite warm all night but in the morning I had some
        > condensation.

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2003
          I forgot to add. Putting a fleece layer between the body and
          reflectic or other pad for that matter seems to reduce the
          condensation or allows it to evaporate better or a combination of
          both. This can be a flece blanket or fleece clothes. Much like
          cloth seats are cooler than plastic like seats in a car. I know,
          more weight, but in the winter that is a given anyway. Much of last
          winters reaserch team The Ohio gang and Mr Garlington mostly found
          some fairly light solutions but there is more work to be done. Your
          Serria experiances will add knowledge to the mix. We await your
          findings.

          Coy Boy

          > Todd
          >
          > Good question. I'm not the scientist on board so I may get
          > corrected. But perhaps what is happening is similar to a glass of
          > ice tea in the summer. The tea is cold inside the glass and the
          > condensation forms outside the glass Dah. Ok not earthbraking
          news.
          > Consider the air on a cold night under the hammock (and pad) the
          > cold tea inside the glass. Now our body on the other side is the
          > warm air outside the glass. Condensation is drawn to the warm
          side.

          > On the ground Our bodies slowly warm the ground under the pad so
          > less condensation builds up on top. Less differance in temps on
          > both sides of the pad I'm guessing is the short answer.
          >
          > Coy Boy
          >
          > -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "upricon" <thomchick@s...>
          > wrote:
          > > Why do pads condensate inside a hammock but not on the ground.
          Is
          > it
          > > because of the reflectix
          > >

          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bronco372003"
          <hlusk@p...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > Hello to everyone, I really enjoy this forum. Great info. I
          > sleep
          > > > in a HH and I made a new sleeping pad last week and tried it
          out
          > > the
          > > > other night. I used a 3/8" closed cell pad 27" x 72" , I made
          > > wings
          > > > from my shoulders to my waist Overall width was 34"(I am broad
          > in
          > > > the shoulders) and I attached a piece or 5/16" Reflectix from
          my
          > > > shoulders to my butt. The temp was about 29 degs F. and
          > snowing. I
          > > > was quite warm all night but in the morning I had some
          > > condensation.

        • jlevans7
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 9, 2004
            Good afternoon,
            I currently use a couple of overlaping blue, closed cell foam pads as
            insulation for my HH. I use this during the spring and fall. I
            notice there is usually some condensation on the pads resulting in
            dampness on the bottom of my sleeping bag in the mornings. Any
            thoughts on prevention of this condensation?

            Jackie
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 9, 2004
              Jackie,

              My opinion is that your closed cell foam pads act as a vapor
              barrier. Since you are most likely staying in pretty much one
              position all night, it doesn't give your insensible perspiration a
              chance to evaporate like it does when you toss & turn when sleeping
              on the ground. My advice is to try controlling your perspiration.
              One way is to incorporate some wicking fabric against the pads
              (sleeve or wrap). Another way is to try sleeping in different
              positions during the night (back & side). Another way is to wear
              vapor barrier clothing (rain gear). Another approach is to use a
              closed cell foam pad with open cells for the top pad (Zrest,
              Ridgerest, egg crate) and hope the condensation that collects in the
              open cells doesn't wet your bag.

              I suspect that there are many other possible solutions, this web site
              http://chattanooga.net/~cdp/hammock/hammock.htm describes a homemade
              hammock that has sewn-in breathable synthetic insulation in addition
              to a closed cell foam pad (that was in a sleeve). He was still
              getting condensation so he cut many tiny holes in the closed cell
              foam to make it breathable. I don't know if the tiny hole approach
              would work with stacked pads, but it is an idea worth knowing about.

              Youngblood

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jlevans7"
              <jackiethehiker@b...> wrote:
              > Good afternoon,
              > I currently use a couple of overlaping blue, closed cell foam pads
              as
              > insulation for my HH. I use this during the spring and fall. I
              > notice there is usually some condensation on the pads resulting in
              > dampness on the bottom of my sleeping bag in the mornings. Any
              > thoughts on prevention of this condensation?
              >
              > Jackie
            • Risk
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 9, 2004
                <jackiethehiker@b...> wrote:
                > Good afternoon,
                > I currently use a couple of overlaping blue, closed cell foam pads as
                > insulation for my HH. I use this during the spring and fall. I
                > notice there is usually some condensation on the pads resulting in
                > dampness on the bottom of my sleeping bag in the mornings. Any
                > thoughts on prevention of this condensation?
                >
                > Jackie

                Hi Jackie,

                The closed cell pad is a vapor barrier, so what ever is between me and
                it will get a little moist. What I do is wear clothing that easily
                wicks the moisture and does not feel very wet. I use a coolmax tee
                and nylon shorts. If necessary, I wear a thin fleece pullover and
                pants (or polypropyline long johns).

                I open the bag except for the last couple feet, to use it like a
                quilt, or (better) use a quilt I built. This puts me against the pad
                so the bag's insulation is all doing the job I want it to do. It
                keeps me warm instead of getting wet from my perspiration.

                Perhaps some of these ideas will allow you to experiment on your own
                and find a solution that works well for you.