Re: [Hammock Camping] Keeping dry

  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 11, 2006
      From: David Wills <little_daddy979@...>

      > I don't quite understand the need to keep the hammock dry. I have
      > been in a few rain storms in the past couple months with no drip
      lines
      > at all, much less functional systems, and my hammock predictably gets
      > wet for about 2 feet on each end. It has never even been a nuisance
      > though.

      While I've never had a water problem with my HH, I realized my
      homemade Speer-type hammock was funneling rainwater in when I woke up
      in the middle of the night with my butt soaking wet. The hammock was
      not holding water but it was letting track down to the lowest point
      before it leaked through the fabric. Unfortunately I was using my
      peapod as insulation and you can guess what happened, although it only
      seemed to get wet in a small area. I believe what you are describing
      is wetness from rain blown in under your tarp but my problem comes
      from the rolled straps acting as a gutter.

      Brian
      T-BACK