Re: Hammock Material ??

  • jonas4321
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 9, 2006
      I just made a double-bottom (ZHammock design) hammock using 1.1oz
      ripstop that has a DWR finish, and the double-bottom design is great
      for my *ahem* 225 lbs (gotta do something about that <grin>), so the
      fabric weight issue can be overcome with a different design.

      I agree with the others that using silnylon for a hammock would make
      it uncomfortable, as the fabric needs to breathe. It's also pretty pricy!

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"
      <archidaveture@...> wrote:

      > I am considering making my own hammock tent with bug screen and I was
      > wondering if the 1.1 oz Silicone Impregnated Ripstop Nylon would be
      > durable enough to suppport my 6'3" 200lbs frame.

    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 9, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...>

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 9, 2006

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 9, 2006
            Sorry for the blank post.

            I think a double layer 1.1 oz is really good...

            wrote:

            > I just made a double-bottom (ZHammock design) hammock using 1.1oz
            > ripstop that has a DWR finish, and the double-bottom design is great
            > for my *ahem* 225 lbs (gotta do something about that <grin>), so the
            > fabric weight issue can be overcome with a different design.
            >
            > I agree with the others that using silnylon for a hammock would make
            > it uncomfortable, as the fabric needs to breathe. It's also pretty
            pricy!
          • gregg
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 12, 2006
              I made a single thickness silnylon speer style hammock this past fall to
              see how much I could lighten things up. After about 5 or 6 nights, it is
              holding up fine. (I am 195#). My idea was to use it in cooler weather as
              the silnylon would stop air from blowing through (I think Ed says in his
              book that he would treat the hammock bottom for cooler weather, then
              wash it out for warm weather use). I don't really sweat in it, as I have
              only used it in cooler weather, plus I am laying on pads anyway, so I am
              not in direct contact with the fabric.
              Gregg

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 12, 2006
                gregg <gspoerin@...> wrote: I made a single thickness silnylon speer style hammock this past fall to
                see how much I could lighten things up. After about 5 or 6 nights, it is
                holding up fine. (I am 195#). My idea was to use it in cooler weather as
                the silnylon would stop air from blowing through (I think Ed says in his
                book that he would treat the hammock bottom for cooler weather, then
                wash it out for warm weather use). I don't really sweat in it, as I have
                only used it in cooler weather, plus I am laying on pads anyway, so I am
                not in direct contact with the fabric.
                Gregg

                let us know gregg, how the silnylon hammock does as we move into warmer weather. i`ve wondered if a waterproof fabric mite do OK in cold weather, as long as it didn`t begin to close-in on top, trapping to much moister. i`d be courious to know at what temps you begin to feel clamy. thanks...tim

                .
                .

                .

                tim garner

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 12, 2006
                  Tim,

                  I don't think it is too different than a tent floor. It does enclose
                  the sides some and that is great when it is windy and your insulation
                  is at its lower limits. When it is windy you generally get enough
                  air movement to help with any light perspiration you might have,
                  especially if you have some wicking fabric to help out and have good
                  breathability on the top side. But like most good insulation
                  schemes, there are conditions where it works great, conditions where
                  it does okay and conditions where it can be a problem and you just
                  have to handle it as best you can. The problem condition for that
                  situp will be when you have too much insulation, it is very humid and
                  there is no wind... this contrasts with a very breathable system
                  which works best in those conditions (but can be a problem when you
                  have marginal insulation when it is windy and wet). Most of the time
                  you will likely be in conditions where it does okay and it will not
                  make much difference whether you use the very windproof/waterproof
                  approach or the very breathable approach for the hammock. What you
                  don't want to do with either approach is to get your insulating layer
                  wet to the point that it no longer acts as an efficient insulator,
                  especially when you really need the insulation.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 12, 2006
                    thanks dave. i guess i would need to give more thought to not overheating & alowing for the ventilation needed. i have give thought to making a narrow hammock (like some i`ve already made) but w/ a waterproof bottom. the hammock is just wide enough that it`s low sides still cradle you & give a reasonable feeling of security. but then at the top seam, an additional 8" of breathable material down each side gives additional protection from wind, falling out, etc. that`s how the eagles nest double is made so wide, except the main bottom scetion is beathable as well. the thought w/ the narrow waterproof bottom is that if a person is going to be laying on a pad anyway, it`s not likely to add much of a problem holding body moister. at the same time it will give added protection against blowing rain & splashing. ...tim

                    Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Tim,

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 13, 2006

                      > Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:05:50 -0800 (PST)
                      > From: tim garner <slowhike@...>
                      >Subject: Re: Re: Hammock Material ??
                      >

                      >gregg <gspoerin@...> wrote: I made a single thickness silnylon speer style hammock this past fall to
                      >see how much I could lighten things up. After about 5 or 6 nights, it is
                      >holding up fine. (I am 195#). My idea was to use it in cooler weather as
                      >the silnylon would stop air from blowing through (I think Ed says in his
                      >book that he would treat the hammock bottom for cooler weather, then
                      >wash it out for warm weather use). I don't really sweat in it, as I have
                      >only used it in cooler weather, plus I am laying on pads anyway, so I am
                      >not in direct contact with the fabric.
                      >Gregg
                      >

                      > let us know gregg, how the silnylon hammock does as we move into warmer weather. i`ve wondered if a waterproof fabric mite do OK in cold weather, as long as it didn`t begin to close-in on top, trapping to much moister. i`d be courious to know at what temps you begin to feel clamy. thanks...tim

                      No problem, I'll report as things get warmer- The hammock is made so the
                      sides aren't too high, so I don't think I'll ever get condensation from
                      a closed in top-
                      Gregg