Hammock Material ??

  • archidaveture
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 8, 2006
      I am considering making my own hammock tent with bug screen and I was
      wondering if the 1.1 oz Silicone Impregnated Ripstop Nylon would be
      durable enough to suppport my 6'3" 200lbs frame. Also, is the
      Nono-screen durable enough to stand a few months on the trail? or
      should I use a heaver bug screen?
      Are there any resources available as to the weight supporting
      properties of these different materials? internet?
    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 8, 2006
        I would not use a material that light. Nor would I use silnylon,
        because it would trap moisture from your body.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 8, 2006
          I agree on both points Bill. Archadventure, I would recommend 1.9 oz
          nylon for a single layer hammock. Save the 1.3 oz silnylon for the
          tarp. It works great for that!

          Risk

          Bill in Houston wrote:
          > I would not use a material that light. Nor would I use silnylon,
          > because it would trap moisture from your body.
          >
          > Bill in Houston
          >

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"
          > <archidaveture@...> wrote:
          >
          >>I am considering making my own hammock tent with bug screen and I was
          >>wondering if the 1.1 oz Silicone Impregnated Ripstop Nylon would be
          >>durable enough to suppport my 6'3" 200lbs frame. Also, is the
          >>Nono-screen durable enough to stand a few months on the trail? or
          >>should I use a heaver bug screen?
          >>Are there any resources available as to the weight supporting
          >>properties of these different materials? internet?
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • jonas4321
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 9, 2006
            I just made a double-bottom (ZHammock design) hammock using 1.1oz
            ripstop that has a DWR finish, and the double-bottom design is great
            for my *ahem* 225 lbs (gotta do something about that <grin>), so the
            fabric weight issue can be overcome with a different design.

            I agree with the others that using silnylon for a hammock would make
            it uncomfortable, as the fabric needs to breathe. It's also pretty pricy!

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 9, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...>

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 9, 2006

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 9, 2006
                  Sorry for the blank post.

                  I think a double layer 1.1 oz is really good...

                  wrote:

                  > I just made a double-bottom (ZHammock design) hammock using 1.1oz
                  > ripstop that has a DWR finish, and the double-bottom design is great
                  > for my *ahem* 225 lbs (gotta do something about that <grin>), so the
                  > fabric weight issue can be overcome with a different design.
                  >
                  > I agree with the others that using silnylon for a hammock would make
                  > it uncomfortable, as the fabric needs to breathe. It's also pretty
                  pricy!
                • gregg
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 12, 2006
                    I made a single thickness silnylon speer style hammock this past fall to
                    see how much I could lighten things up. After about 5 or 6 nights, it is
                    holding up fine. (I am 195#). My idea was to use it in cooler weather as
                    the silnylon would stop air from blowing through (I think Ed says in his
                    book that he would treat the hammock bottom for cooler weather, then
                    wash it out for warm weather use). I don't really sweat in it, as I have
                    only used it in cooler weather, plus I am laying on pads anyway, so I am
                    not in direct contact with the fabric.
                    Gregg

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 12, 2006
                      gregg <gspoerin@...> wrote: I made a single thickness silnylon speer style hammock this past fall to
                      see how much I could lighten things up. After about 5 or 6 nights, it is
                      holding up fine. (I am 195#). My idea was to use it in cooler weather as
                      the silnylon would stop air from blowing through (I think Ed says in his
                      book that he would treat the hammock bottom for cooler weather, then
                      wash it out for warm weather use). I don't really sweat in it, as I have
                      only used it in cooler weather, plus I am laying on pads anyway, so I am
                      not in direct contact with the fabric.
                      Gregg

                      let us know gregg, how the silnylon hammock does as we move into warmer weather. i`ve wondered if a waterproof fabric mite do OK in cold weather, as long as it didn`t begin to close-in on top, trapping to much moister. i`d be courious to know at what temps you begin to feel clamy. thanks...tim

                      .
                      .

                      .

                      tim garner

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 12, 2006
                        Tim,

                        I don't think it is too different than a tent floor. It does enclose
                        the sides some and that is great when it is windy and your insulation
                        is at its lower limits. When it is windy you generally get enough
                        air movement to help with any light perspiration you might have,
                        especially if you have some wicking fabric to help out and have good
                        breathability on the top side. But like most good insulation
                        schemes, there are conditions where it works great, conditions where
                        it does okay and conditions where it can be a problem and you just
                        have to handle it as best you can. The problem condition for that
                        situp will be when you have too much insulation, it is very humid and
                        there is no wind... this contrasts with a very breathable system
                        which works best in those conditions (but can be a problem when you
                        have marginal insulation when it is windy and wet). Most of the time
                        you will likely be in conditions where it does okay and it will not
                        make much difference whether you use the very windproof/waterproof
                        approach or the very breathable approach for the hammock. What you
                        don't want to do with either approach is to get your insulating layer
                        wet to the point that it no longer acts as an efficient insulator,
                        especially when you really need the insulation.

                        Dave

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 12, 2006
                          thanks dave. i guess i would need to give more thought to not overheating & alowing for the ventilation needed. i have give thought to making a narrow hammock (like some i`ve already made) but w/ a waterproof bottom. the hammock is just wide enough that it`s low sides still cradle you & give a reasonable feeling of security. but then at the top seam, an additional 8" of breathable material down each side gives additional protection from wind, falling out, etc. that`s how the eagles nest double is made so wide, except the main bottom scetion is beathable as well. the thought w/ the narrow waterproof bottom is that if a person is going to be laying on a pad anyway, it`s not likely to add much of a problem holding body moister. at the same time it will give added protection against blowing rain & splashing. ...tim

                          Dave Womble <dpwomble@...> wrote: Tim,

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 13, 2006

                            > Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:05:50 -0800 (PST)
                            > From: tim garner <slowhike@...>
                            >Subject: Re: Re: Hammock Material ??
                            >

                            >gregg <gspoerin@...> wrote: I made a single thickness silnylon speer style hammock this past fall to
                            >see how much I could lighten things up. After about 5 or 6 nights, it is
                            >holding up fine. (I am 195#). My idea was to use it in cooler weather as
                            >the silnylon would stop air from blowing through (I think Ed says in his
                            >book that he would treat the hammock bottom for cooler weather, then
                            >wash it out for warm weather use). I don't really sweat in it, as I have
                            >only used it in cooler weather, plus I am laying on pads anyway, so I am
                            >not in direct contact with the fabric.
                            >Gregg
                            >

                            > let us know gregg, how the silnylon hammock does as we move into warmer weather. i`ve wondered if a waterproof fabric mite do OK in cold weather, as long as it didn`t begin to close-in on top, trapping to much moister. i`d be courious to know at what temps you begin to feel clamy. thanks...tim

                            No problem, I'll report as things get warmer- The hammock is made so the
                            sides aren't too high, so I don't think I'll ever get condensation from
                            a closed in top-
                            Gregg