Re: Hammock Camping "Tree-Hugger" Straps...

  • Sean Keplinger
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2003
      On Fri, 2 May 2003, Rick wrote:

      > - What evidence exists at present to show that hammocks using ropes
      > have harmed trees (not the lawn hammocks which are left up for
      > months, but even frequent hanging of camping hammocks
      >
      > - What evidence already exists to show that straps (either strap
      > hanging of the hammock or tree huggers) eliminate the damage

      Rick, your comments made me sit back and think for a moment. I just
      recently (within the last two months) got into hammock camping and I've
      seen the "tree-hugger straps cause less damage" statement on many sites
      and mailing lists. I first read about them on Sgt. Rock's website and at
      the Hennessy Hammocks website.

      I'm sure the straps cause less bark damage, but how much damage is really
      being done? When I go out hiking, I never really spend more than one
      evening at a campsite and even then, the hammock is only up for about 16
      hours and weighted for a maximum of 8 hours.

      The problem would be on popular trails like the AT where you have a lot of
      people camping in the same place again and again.

      Sean
      --
      \___/ Sean Keplinger
      |o,o| skeplin at one dot net
      \/ ) http://spookyworld.dnsalias.com
      ----mm-----------------------------------
    • Gregg Spoering
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2003
        Rick,
        I just returned from Gettysburg last week, and the rules there are very specific as far as tying anything to trees. No hammocks, tent lines, guy lines, etc. I imagine that any historic area will be very restrictive.
        Gregg

        > In fact, so much tree damage has been done by these hammocks in the
        > past, that some government parks, preserves and campgrounds already
        > prohibit the hanging of any hammock from trees.

        I completely buy your argument.  It makes sense.

        It does raise a couple questions:

        - what parks already prohibit?  I want to stay away from or not be
        obvious there.  Certainly showing a ranger at that park that I am
        doing no-impact camping by using a hammock would be a bad idea!

        - What evidence exists at present to show that hammocks using ropes
        have harmed trees (not the lawn hammocks which are left up for
        months, but even frequent hanging of camping hammocks

        - What evidence already exists to show that straps (either strap
        hanging of the hammock or tree huggers) eliminate the damage

        - What kind of study can we do to show and publish and use to
        persuade officials to allow hammock hanging of appropriate hammocks?

        Rick

      • blqysmg
        Message 3 of 10 , May 5, 2003
          I just got back from a camping trip to St Augustine, Fl. We were in
          the most beautiful tropical jungle, surrounded by pine, live oak, and
          tons of ground cover.

          While my wife was setting up the inside of the camper, I was busy
          selecting trees for the hammock. I had my tree-hugger straps out,
          and had the hammock slung over my shoulders when the ranger came by.

          The first thing he said to me was not, "welcome to Florida," but "You
          are not allowed to attach anything to any of the trees." They have
          effectively banned setting up hammocks.

          I was disappointed, since I'd just found the perfect pair of trees,
          but I wasn't stopped completely. I'd brought bamboo supports with
          me, so I used them instead of the trees. If everyone went to non-
          destructive tree-huggers, they might lift the ban.

          I used to do a lot of caving, and made most of my own climbing gear.
          We used to buy two inch poly webbing that was rated at around 6000
          lbs breaking strength. (Basically seat belt material) We also would
          get three inch webbing every once in a while. We would use it for leg
          loops, which are much more comfortable than two inch loops, and also
          for tree-huggers.

          A properly sewn three inch wide, three foot long strap, with loops at
          each end would be secure, and incredibly strong. You can also find
          three inch wide cargo and two strap webbing that's rated 20,000 lbs,
          with basically no streach at our level of use.

          David Chamness
        • blqysmg
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2003
            Oops, that should have been tow strap, not two strap. Even with
            preview I didn't catch it.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "blqysmg"