Foothills Trail

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2006
      I'm planning to section-hike the Foothills Trail this spring. I got
      the guidebook yesterday and was looking at the first section, from
      Table Rock to Sassafras Mountain. Assuming I can't line up any hiking
      partners or shuttles, I'd plan to hike it both ways. I don't see any
      designated camping sites along the way. Anyone who has already done
      it--are there plenty of places to hang a hammock along the route? If
      I get an early enough start, I might even make it as far as the
      Chimneytop Gap Access, or even the Larel Valley Access before I turn
      around, but that's unlikely. I'm thinking about it for this coming
      weekend.

      Marta
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
        <marta_clark@...> wrote:

        > Anyone who has already done
        > it--are there plenty of places to hang a hammock along the route?

        Everywhere...it's wooded like the AT so you'll have no problem.

        It might help to go thru the guidebook and add cumulative mileage.
        Since the guidebook breaks mileage up by section, it gets tedious
        adding up each section while you're on the trail.

        Water should be very plentiful, too. Here's my journal if you're
        interested...I noted a few inconsistencies in the guidebooks at the
        bottom of each page.

        http://www.tothewoods.net/FTDay1.html

        Also check the FTC webpage...I found more than one willing shuttle
        for a very reasonable price.

        http://www.foothillstrail.org/permanent/shuttledisclaimer.htm

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2006
          marta... a backpacking friend (who did some time at Clemson), really wants to do the FT or at least part of it this year. so i also read jeff`s nicly layed out description of his hike. i have a commitment sat, but i`ll be interrested to hear about your adventure when you get back. ...tim

          marta_clark <marta_clark@...> wrote: I'm planning to section-hike the Foothills Trail this spring. I got
          the guidebook yesterday and was looking at the first section, from
          Table Rock to Sassafras Mountain. Assuming I can't line up any hiking
          partners or shuttles, I'd plan to hike it both ways. I don't see any
          designated camping sites along the way. Anyone who has already done
          it--are there plenty of places to hang a hammock along the route? If
          I get an early enough start, I might even make it as far as the
          Chimneytop Gap Access, or even the Larel Valley Access before I turn
          around, but that's unlikely. I'm thinking about it for this coming
          weekend.

          Marta

          tim garner

        • marta_clark
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 24, 2006
            I think I'm finally going to get out and hike a section of the
            Foothills Trail this weekend--after putting it off for a couple of
            snowy weekends. I'm planning to hammock Saturday night, which is
            forecast to be somewhat nippy. I'll probably take the insulated
            hammock, but back it up with the Pea Pod. I don't think I'll take a
            CCF pad...but I will take a space blanket, just in case it's breezy.

            Marta