Re:Orlando overnighter??

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
      Wayne-

      If you don't get the information you want from here, try the Florida Trails Association, or, with your permission, I can post your request to the WomenHiker list. We have quite a few Florida gals who participate and at least one might be able to help.

      Good Luck!

      Rosaleen

      From: "Wayne Kraft" <wayneskraft@...<mailto:wayneskraft@...>>
      Subject: Orlando overnighter??

      I will be in Orlando last week of March with the family checking out a school my son wants to
      attend and the usual tourist crap. I'm hoping to break away from all that for a quick overnight
      backpacking trip. I will be dependent upon the wife or one of the kids to drop me off on day
      1 and pick me up on day 2, so I need someplace fairly close to Orlando. I am not looking for
      a swamp survival experience or endurance test, just 5-8 miles each day. So far I've been
      looking at Wikiwa Springs SP. I generally travel light, carry my gear in a large daypack, use a
      hammock for shelter and don't cook. I am from Oregon and my hiking experience in the
      Cascade mountains and California deserts is all high, dry and cool. I expect the exact
      opposite in Florida. I have no experience with southern hiking and, in fact, my experience
      with the southeast is limited to a few business trips to University of S. Carolina in Columbia
      (Go Gamecocks!) where I never got out of town. I could use trip suggestions and any other
      tips you all can give this Florida newbie about exploring around Orlando. Thanks!

    • Wayne Kraft
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
        Sure, I'd love to hear what the Florida gals think. So far, I've come up with two options
        within 1/2 hour of Orlando and Wikiwa Springs SP appears to be the best of the two. I
        think it will be crowded though. Everything else seems to be 90+ minutes away and even
        though I'm paying for everything and I haven't even suggested that anyone actually go
        with me into the bug infested swamp, I know I'll have a hard time getting anyone to drive
        that far for drop off and pick up, especially after last year's fun and frolic in Joshua Tree
        NP. I did read about one area that boasts a population of 17,000 alligators. I found this
        demographic a trifle intimidating.

        Wayne

      • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006
          > > From: "Wayne Kraft" <wayneskraft@...<mailto:wayneskraft@...>>
          > > Subject: Orlando overnighter??
          > >
          > > I will be in Orlando last week of March
          > all that for a quick
          > overnight
          > > backpacking trip. I will be dependent upon the wife or one of
          > the kids to drop me off on
          > day
          > > 1 and pick me up on day 2, so I need someplace fairly close to
          > Orlando.

          Wayne,

          I know my company won't be good as the girls' but I just found out
          that I have a four day weekend off at the end of March. I live in
          Tampa and would be glad to join you for an overnighter. I'm off March
          31 thru April 3rd. I can also provide our transportation so your
          choices won't be quite so limited. Wikiva is a nice park or at least
          it used to be about 5 years ago when I hiked part of it with my
          daughter. Hopefully these dates will work out for you. By the way,
          I'm a hammock camper too. Let me know.

          Brian
          T-BACK
        • Fuzzy
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 9, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Kraft" <wayneskraft@...>
            wrote:

            > I did read about one area that boasts a population of 17,000
            alligators. I found this
            > demographic a trifle intimidating.

            Mmmmmm... tastes like chicken.

            Fuzzy