Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Crazy Creek??

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
      Yes, the LEX lightweight hammock test was canceled last season. That
      was one of mine.

      I pack the best and lightest that I can for the AT. Otherwise, I find
      myself wondering why I had to carry extra weight up each and every one
      of those hills.

      The LEX group of hammocks are well made by all reports. But they are
      two pounds heavier than my heaviest hammock. Those two pounds are an
      obvious target for making a pack light enough that I can forget it is there.

      I would also never carry a 4 pound tent on the AT when I could carry a
      10 oz tarp (if I decided to sleep on the ground.)

      Risk

      Coy wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > I have one and I like it...but it would not me my first choice on a
      > long hike. It is well made and really comfortable. If you are going
      > to be on the trail 2 months then you might consider some of the
      > lighter options out there such as a Speer, Hennessy and several others
      > or even making your own. You can read several opinions on the
      > original (and still in production) LEX here.
      >
      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%
      > 20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20-%202002/
      >
      > or here if that broke
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/8elgc
      >
      > here is a link to my reviews
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/8we89
      >
      > You will note that there is a folder for the LEX Lightweight but
      > nothing in it but names. I guees the test fell through. Jeff (a
      > regular here) was going to test it. It is showing on the website
      > though.
      >
      > http://www.crazycreek.com/interior.cfm?page=detail&item=34
      >
      > Good luck on your hammock search and the upcoming hike.
      >
      > Coy Boy
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"
      > <archidaveture@...> wrote:
      >
      >>Any opinions on the Crazy Creek LEX hammock, I know its kind of heavy
      >>(4 pounds). I am planning to do a section of the AT about 2 months
      >>from WV to Main. I bought this and now the more I read, I have some
      >>concerns of weight. Does anyone have experience with this hammock?
      >>will it hold up? is it worth spending an additional $200 to save 2
      >>pounds, when a good solo tent(non-hammock) can weigh in the 4 pound
      >>range?
      >>

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006

        > Hi
        >
        > You will note that there is a folder for the LEX Lightweight but
        > nothing in it but names. I guees the test fell through. Jeff (a
        > regular here) was going to test it. It is showing on the website
        > though.
        >
        > http://www.crazycreek.com/interior.cfm?page=detail&item=34

        The test was supposedly postponed until March (i.e. next month). I
        will try to post something here when/if anything changes.

        Fuzzy
        also selected to test it
      • Fuzzy
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

          > > I guees the test fell through. Jeff (a
          > > regular here) was going to test it. It is showing on the website
          > > though.
          >
          > It was rescheduled for March. First there was a sourcing problem
          with
          > the poles or something, then they didn't want to test during
          > winter...which is understandable for most people but I was looking
          > forward to the winter tests!
          >
          > Hopefully it's still on for next month, though.

          DOH! I pulled a Dawn.

          Sheesh!

          Fuzzy