winter hammock

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 5, 2006
      I spent the night in the winter camping hammock on the porch last
      night. The air temp. right now is 31 degrees, no wind. Before
      hanging, we redid the whipped ends so that the underlayer was not
      caught up in them, allowing the insulation to loft up again. Very
      comfortable night. Perfectly warm and snug. Only woke up when a
      helicopter flew over low enough to rattle the windows of the house (4
      a.m.) and a couple of cats started going at it around 5:30. The joys
      of city living.

      On mature reflection (during the cat fight)I think I will leave the
      ends of the underlayer detached from the whipping. To snug them up so
      warm air will not escape so easily, I will make a channel and run
      elastic through it.

      Marta
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 28, 2006
        marta_clark <marta_clark@...> wrote:
        aMinor mishap: When I stopped reading and turned off my headlamp, I
        started wriggling around to get comfortable on my side. I heard a
        brief slithering sound and--wham--I was on the ground and rolling
        briskly downhill. After about two revolutions, I fought my way out
        of the Pea Pod, stopped the rolling, and got up to inspect the
        hammock. It was fine. The problem was operator error--one of the
        anchor trees was quite thick and I hadn't secured the strap well
        enough. Fortunately I was only about 6 inches above the ground,
        which was well padded with dry leaves. Unfortunately, I was on a
        steep slope. It would have made a good video...

        Marta

        *** sounds like something i`d do marta. except if i was w/ some of my regular camping partners, they`d make me lay there until they took a picture or two :~} ...tim

        tim garner