Re: Crazy Creek??

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2006
      Hi

      I have one and I like it...but it would not me my first choice on a
      long hike. It is well made and really comfortable. If you are going
      to be on the trail 2 months then you might consider some of the
      lighter options out there such as a Speer, Hennessy and several others
      or even making your own. You can read several opinions on the
      original (and still in production) LEX here.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%
      20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20-%202002/

      or here if that broke

      http://tinyurl.com/8elgc

      here is a link to my reviews

      http://tinyurl.com/8we89

      You will note that there is a folder for the LEX Lightweight but
      nothing in it but names. I guees the test fell through. Jeff (a
      regular here) was going to test it. It is showing on the website
      though.

      http://www.crazycreek.com/interior.cfm?page=detail&item=34

      Good luck on your hammock search and the upcoming hike.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"
      <archidaveture@...> wrote:

      > Any opinions on the Crazy Creek LEX hammock, I know its kind of heavy
      > (4 pounds). I am planning to do a section of the AT about 2 months
      > from WV to Main. I bought this and now the more I read, I have some
      > concerns of weight. Does anyone have experience with this hammock?
      > will it hold up? is it worth spending an additional $200 to save 2
      > pounds, when a good solo tent(non-hammock) can weigh in the 4 pound
      > range?

    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2006
        > I guees the test fell through. Jeff (a
        > regular here) was going to test it. It is showing on the website
        > though.

        It was rescheduled for March. First there was a sourcing problem with
        the poles or something, then they didn't want to test during
        winter...which is understandable for most people but I was looking
        forward to the winter tests!

        Hopefully it's still on for next month, though.
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2006
          That would be great Jeff. I was really interested in seeing how they
          would shave some weight from this hammock. In a way, the design will
          limit how much they can cut but it is a pretty neat hammock. If it
          were just a pound lighter than the one I tested I'd use for more than
          car camping or short hikes. It works better with my Big Agnes REM
          Hinman pad than any other hammock I own. Of course that pad is more
          of a car camping pad also so they are ideal for each other in several
          ways.

          Coy Boy

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
            Yes, the LEX lightweight hammock test was canceled last season. That
            was one of mine.

            I pack the best and lightest that I can for the AT. Otherwise, I find
            myself wondering why I had to carry extra weight up each and every one
            of those hills.

            The LEX group of hammocks are well made by all reports. But they are
            two pounds heavier than my heaviest hammock. Those two pounds are an
            obvious target for making a pack light enough that I can forget it is there.

            I would also never carry a 4 pound tent on the AT when I could carry a
            10 oz tarp (if I decided to sleep on the ground.)

            Risk

            Coy wrote:
            > Hi
            >
            > I have one and I like it...but it would not me my first choice on a
            > long hike. It is well made and really comfortable. If you are going
            > to be on the trail 2 months then you might consider some of the
            > lighter options out there such as a Speer, Hennessy and several others
            > or even making your own. You can read several opinions on the
            > original (and still in production) LEX here.
            >
            > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%
            > 20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20-%202002/
            >
            > or here if that broke
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/8elgc
            >
            > here is a link to my reviews
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/8we89
            >
            > You will note that there is a folder for the LEX Lightweight but
            > nothing in it but names. I guees the test fell through. Jeff (a
            > regular here) was going to test it. It is showing on the website
            > though.
            >
            > http://www.crazycreek.com/interior.cfm?page=detail&item=34
            >
            > Good luck on your hammock search and the upcoming hike.
            >
            > Coy Boy
            >

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"
            > <archidaveture@...> wrote:
            >
            >>Any opinions on the Crazy Creek LEX hammock, I know its kind of heavy
            >>(4 pounds). I am planning to do a section of the AT about 2 months
            >>from WV to Main. I bought this and now the more I read, I have some
            >>concerns of weight. Does anyone have experience with this hammock?
            >>will it hold up? is it worth spending an additional $200 to save 2
            >>pounds, when a good solo tent(non-hammock) can weigh in the 4 pound
            >>range?
            >>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Fuzzy
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006

              > Hi
              >
              > You will note that there is a folder for the LEX Lightweight but
              > nothing in it but names. I guees the test fell through. Jeff (a
              > regular here) was going to test it. It is showing on the website
              > though.
              >
              > http://www.crazycreek.com/interior.cfm?page=detail&item=34

              The test was supposedly postponed until March (i.e. next month). I
              will try to post something here when/if anything changes.

              Fuzzy
              also selected to test it
            • Fuzzy
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                > > I guees the test fell through. Jeff (a
                > > regular here) was going to test it. It is showing on the website
                > > though.
                >
                > It was rescheduled for March. First there was a sourcing problem
                with
                > the poles or something, then they didn't want to test during
                > winter...which is understandable for most people but I was looking
                > forward to the winter tests!
                >
                > Hopefully it's still on for next month, though.

                DOH! I pulled a Dawn.

                Sheesh!

                Fuzzy