Crazy Creek??

  • archidaveture
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2006
      Any opinions on the Crazy Creek LEX hammock, I know its kind of heavy
      (4 pounds). I am planning to do a section of the AT about 2 months
      from WV to Main. I bought this and now the more I read, I have some
      concerns of weight. Does anyone have experience with this hammock?
      will it hold up? is it worth spending an additional $200 to save 2
      pounds, when a good solo tent(non-hammock) can weigh in the 4 pound
      range?
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2006
        Hi

        I have one and I like it...but it would not me my first choice on a
        long hike. It is well made and really comfortable. If you are going
        to be on the trail 2 months then you might consider some of the
        lighter options out there such as a Speer, Hennessy and several others
        or even making your own. You can read several opinions on the
        original (and still in production) LEX here.

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%
        20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20-%202002/

        or here if that broke

        http://tinyurl.com/8elgc

        here is a link to my reviews

        http://tinyurl.com/8we89

        You will note that there is a folder for the LEX Lightweight but
        nothing in it but names. I guees the test fell through. Jeff (a
        regular here) was going to test it. It is showing on the website
        though.

        http://www.crazycreek.com/interior.cfm?page=detail&item=34

        Good luck on your hammock search and the upcoming hike.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"
        <archidaveture@...> wrote:

        > Any opinions on the Crazy Creek LEX hammock, I know its kind of heavy
        > (4 pounds). I am planning to do a section of the AT about 2 months
        > from WV to Main. I bought this and now the more I read, I have some
        > concerns of weight. Does anyone have experience with this hammock?
        > will it hold up? is it worth spending an additional $200 to save 2
        > pounds, when a good solo tent(non-hammock) can weigh in the 4 pound
        > range?

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2006
          > I guees the test fell through. Jeff (a
          > regular here) was going to test it. It is showing on the website
          > though.

          It was rescheduled for March. First there was a sourcing problem with
          the poles or something, then they didn't want to test during
          winter...which is understandable for most people but I was looking
          forward to the winter tests!

          Hopefully it's still on for next month, though.
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2006
            That would be great Jeff. I was really interested in seeing how they
            would shave some weight from this hammock. In a way, the design will
            limit how much they can cut but it is a pretty neat hammock. If it
            were just a pound lighter than the one I tested I'd use for more than
            car camping or short hikes. It works better with my Big Agnes REM
            Hinman pad than any other hammock I own. Of course that pad is more
            of a car camping pad also so they are ideal for each other in several
            ways.

            Coy Boy

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
              Yes, the LEX lightweight hammock test was canceled last season. That
              was one of mine.

              I pack the best and lightest that I can for the AT. Otherwise, I find
              myself wondering why I had to carry extra weight up each and every one
              of those hills.

              The LEX group of hammocks are well made by all reports. But they are
              two pounds heavier than my heaviest hammock. Those two pounds are an
              obvious target for making a pack light enough that I can forget it is there.

              I would also never carry a 4 pound tent on the AT when I could carry a
              10 oz tarp (if I decided to sleep on the ground.)

              Risk

              Coy wrote:
              > Hi
              >
              > I have one and I like it...but it would not me my first choice on a
              > long hike. It is well made and really comfortable. If you are going
              > to be on the trail 2 months then you might consider some of the
              > lighter options out there such as a Speer, Hennessy and several others
              > or even making your own. You can read several opinions on the
              > original (and still in production) LEX here.
              >
              > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Crazy%
              > 20Creek%20Crib%20LEX%20-%202002/
              >
              > or here if that broke
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/8elgc
              >
              > here is a link to my reviews
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/8we89
              >
              > You will note that there is a folder for the LEX Lightweight but
              > nothing in it but names. I guees the test fell through. Jeff (a
              > regular here) was going to test it. It is showing on the website
              > though.
              >
              > http://www.crazycreek.com/interior.cfm?page=detail&item=34
              >
              > Good luck on your hammock search and the upcoming hike.
              >
              > Coy Boy
              >

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"
              > <archidaveture@...> wrote:
              >
              >>Any opinions on the Crazy Creek LEX hammock, I know its kind of heavy
              >>(4 pounds). I am planning to do a section of the AT about 2 months
              >>from WV to Main. I bought this and now the more I read, I have some
              >>concerns of weight. Does anyone have experience with this hammock?
              >>will it hold up? is it worth spending an additional $200 to save 2
              >>pounds, when a good solo tent(non-hammock) can weigh in the 4 pound
              >>range?
              >>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Fuzzy
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006

                > Hi
                >
                > You will note that there is a folder for the LEX Lightweight but
                > nothing in it but names. I guees the test fell through. Jeff (a
                > regular here) was going to test it. It is showing on the website
                > though.
                >
                > http://www.crazycreek.com/interior.cfm?page=detail&item=34

                The test was supposedly postponed until March (i.e. next month). I
                will try to post something here when/if anything changes.

                Fuzzy
                also selected to test it
              • Fuzzy
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                  > > I guees the test fell through. Jeff (a
                  > > regular here) was going to test it. It is showing on the website
                  > > though.
                  >
                  > It was rescheduled for March. First there was a sourcing problem
                  with
                  > the poles or something, then they didn't want to test during
                  > winter...which is understandable for most people but I was looking
                  > forward to the winter tests!
                  >
                  > Hopefully it's still on for next month, though.

                  DOH! I pulled a Dawn.

                  Sheesh!

                  Fuzzy