Re: [Hammock Camping] Keeping dry

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:
      > I'm not sure I follow you on how that could roll the straps. I use
      > peapod but never considered that could cause the rolling.

      JRB's underquilts are connected by tightening a shockcord hitch around
      the hammock support, which necessarily folds the webbing in half, at
      least. Depending on how much I tighten it, that hitch can squeeze the
      webbing even further.

      Patrick's KAQ uses a prussik, which has the same effect. A PeaPod is
      supported by the end of the hammock and doesn't really squeeze the
      webbing with its weight.

      However, I don't use underquilts every time, so I'm not sure if the
      webbing folds are a matter of memory from when I DO use underquilts,
      or if it's caused just by the kind of loading a hammock subjects it to.

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
        I understand your use of the machine. But right now, MY sewing machine
        is set up with a cutting needle, as the last project I had was in sewing
        some naugahide.

        As I read the thread, I too wondered about the reaction of the solvent
        in the silicone sealer reacting with the strap.

        I have done a lot of sewing of straps and never had a failure. It seems
        it would have to be something else.

        Rick

      • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 7, 2006
          > I have done a lot of sewing of straps and never had a failure. It
          > seems
          > it would have to be something else.
          >
          > Rick

          I would have to agree with you, I just wish I could figure out what
          happened. I have sewn new straps in the same manner and used them
          four nights in a row and have had no problems. The solvent does not
          seem to have weakened them. Maybe there was a defect in the strap
          itself since one failed while the other shows no sign of stress.
          Thanks everyone for your input. Hopefully this fall will be my last.

          Brian
          T-BACK
        • David Wills
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 8, 2006
            I don't quite understand the need to keep the hammock dry. I have
            been in a few rain storms in the past couple months with no drip lines
            at all, much less functional systems, and my hammock predictably gets
            wet for about 2 feet on each end. It has never even been a nuisance
            though. I didn't even know it was wet until I put it up, and this was
            after an 8 hour pounding. I use synthetic insulation, but it doesn't
            get wet. Has anyone actually had noticable problems with water coming
            in from the hanging lines, or is it just something that seems like it
            needs to be taken care of? I could see how waterproof fabrics could
            be a problem wit hstanding water, but uncoated nylons and silks don't
            seem like they would be a noticable problem.
            -David with no trailname
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 8, 2006
              David, I believe the type hanging strap and angle it is hung are big
              contributers to the problem. If you look at the Hennessy it is easy
              to see it will have less of a problem with water migrating down the
              lines than a hammock hung with a polypropalyne web strap and at a
              greater sag angle. That said, I use my Speer like hammock a lot
              more than my Hennessy, epecially in the winter. I like to look at
              the stars without a bug net in the way and sit in my hammock without
              a rope making me lean forward. So far I have not had any real
              problems getting wet in the Speer but have noticed the ends getting
              wet like you mention. More rain and I may have gotten wetter.

              What type hammock are you using?

              Coy Boy

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 11, 2006
                From: David Wills <little_daddy979@...>

                > I don't quite understand the need to keep the hammock dry. I have
                > been in a few rain storms in the past couple months with no drip
                lines
                > at all, much less functional systems, and my hammock predictably gets
                > wet for about 2 feet on each end. It has never even been a nuisance
                > though.

                While I've never had a water problem with my HH, I realized my
                homemade Speer-type hammock was funneling rainwater in when I woke up
                in the middle of the night with my butt soaking wet. The hammock was
                not holding water but it was letting track down to the lowest point
                before it leaked through the fabric. Unfortunately I was using my
                peapod as insulation and you can guess what happened, although it only
                seemed to get wet in a small area. I believe what you are describing
                is wetness from rain blown in under your tarp but my problem comes
                from the rolled straps acting as a gutter.

                Brian
                T-BACK