Re: [Hammock Camping] Keeping dry

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:
      > Anyone else have their straps roll up with use?

      Yes. I use underquilts so that might make a difference, though.
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:
        > It seems that it tore apart right at the stitch as if it
        > were perforated like paper.

        Most likely the needle was cutting/damaging the webbing treads as it
        sewed the stitch. Then with each use the damaged area weakens until
        you're suddenly demoted to groundling status.

        Doug Frost
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
          Brian,

          You did not use a cutting (leather) needle when sewing that tag on did you?

          Rick

        • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
            > Brian,
            >
            > You did not use a cutting (leather) needle when sewing that tag on
            > did you?
            >
            > Rick

            Rick,

            I used my sewing machine. I'm too lazy to hand stitch anything short
            of leather if there is electricity nearby.

            Brian
            T-BACK
          • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006

              > Most likely the needle was cutting/damaging the webbing treads as
              > it
              > sewed the stitch. Then with each use the damaged area weakens
              > until
              > you're suddenly demoted to groundling status.
              >
              > Doug Frost

              Doug,

              I thought at first the needle on the machine might have had a burr on
              the tip. I looked at it through a magnifying glass but found nothing
              out of the ordinary. The two waterstops were sewn just seconds apart
              and the other one does not appear to have any damaged fibers.

              BRIAN
              T-BACK
            • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:
                > > Anyone else have their straps roll up with use?
                >
                > Yes. I use underquilts so that might make a difference, though.

                Jeff,

                I'm not sure I follow you on how that could roll the straps. I use a
                peapod but never considered that could cause the rolling.

                Brian
                T-BACK
              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:
                  > I'm not sure I follow you on how that could roll the straps. I use
                  > peapod but never considered that could cause the rolling.

                  JRB's underquilts are connected by tightening a shockcord hitch around
                  the hammock support, which necessarily folds the webbing in half, at
                  least. Depending on how much I tighten it, that hitch can squeeze the
                  webbing even further.

                  Patrick's KAQ uses a prussik, which has the same effect. A PeaPod is
                  supported by the end of the hammock and doesn't really squeeze the
                  webbing with its weight.

                  However, I don't use underquilts every time, so I'm not sure if the
                  webbing folds are a matter of memory from when I DO use underquilts,
                  or if it's caused just by the kind of loading a hammock subjects it to.

                  Jeff
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
                    I understand your use of the machine. But right now, MY sewing machine
                    is set up with a cutting needle, as the last project I had was in sewing
                    some naugahide.

                    As I read the thread, I too wondered about the reaction of the solvent
                    in the silicone sealer reacting with the strap.

                    I have done a lot of sewing of straps and never had a failure. It seems
                    it would have to be something else.

                    Rick

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 7, 2006
                      > I have done a lot of sewing of straps and never had a failure. It
                      > seems
                      > it would have to be something else.
                      >
                      > Rick

                      I would have to agree with you, I just wish I could figure out what
                      happened. I have sewn new straps in the same manner and used them
                      four nights in a row and have had no problems. The solvent does not
                      seem to have weakened them. Maybe there was a defect in the strap
                      itself since one failed while the other shows no sign of stress.
                      Thanks everyone for your input. Hopefully this fall will be my last.

                      Brian
                      T-BACK
                    • David Wills
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 8, 2006
                        I don't quite understand the need to keep the hammock dry. I have
                        been in a few rain storms in the past couple months with no drip lines
                        at all, much less functional systems, and my hammock predictably gets
                        wet for about 2 feet on each end. It has never even been a nuisance
                        though. I didn't even know it was wet until I put it up, and this was
                        after an 8 hour pounding. I use synthetic insulation, but it doesn't
                        get wet. Has anyone actually had noticable problems with water coming
                        in from the hanging lines, or is it just something that seems like it
                        needs to be taken care of? I could see how waterproof fabrics could
                        be a problem wit hstanding water, but uncoated nylons and silks don't
                        seem like they would be a noticable problem.
                        -David with no trailname
                      • Coy
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 8, 2006
                          David, I believe the type hanging strap and angle it is hung are big
                          contributers to the problem. If you look at the Hennessy it is easy
                          to see it will have less of a problem with water migrating down the
                          lines than a hammock hung with a polypropalyne web strap and at a
                          greater sag angle. That said, I use my Speer like hammock a lot
                          more than my Hennessy, epecially in the winter. I like to look at
                          the stars without a bug net in the way and sit in my hammock without
                          a rope making me lean forward. So far I have not had any real
                          problems getting wet in the Speer but have noticed the ends getting
                          wet like you mention. More rain and I may have gotten wetter.

                          What type hammock are you using?

                          Coy Boy

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 11, 2006
                            From: David Wills <little_daddy979@...>

                            > I don't quite understand the need to keep the hammock dry. I have
                            > been in a few rain storms in the past couple months with no drip
                            lines
                            > at all, much less functional systems, and my hammock predictably gets
                            > wet for about 2 feet on each end. It has never even been a nuisance
                            > though.

                            While I've never had a water problem with my HH, I realized my
                            homemade Speer-type hammock was funneling rainwater in when I woke up
                            in the middle of the night with my butt soaking wet. The hammock was
                            not holding water but it was letting track down to the lowest point
                            before it leaked through the fabric. Unfortunately I was using my
                            peapod as insulation and you can guess what happened, although it only
                            seemed to get wet in a small area. I believe what you are describing
                            is wetness from rain blown in under your tarp but my problem comes
                            from the rolled straps acting as a gutter.

                            Brian
                            T-BACK