Re: [Hammock Camping] Keeping dry

  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: seuss910 <wrv77@...>
      Date: Saturday, February 4, 2006 12:39 pm
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Keeping dry
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

      > Could the straps have been weakened chemically rather than
      > physically? I'm thinking specifically about the thin bead of
      > silicone
      > that you applied around the disk.

      Maybe. I did spray waterproofer on the support strap and the
      waterstop strap. I did not use a bead of silicone near the
      stitching. It seems that it tore apart right at the stitch as if it
      were perforated like paper. I wish I knew why one side failed and the
      other seems ok. The straps were used to the point that they would try
      to roll up instead of hanging flat, which is why I was having the
      water problems to begin with.
      Anyone else have their straps roll up with use?

      Brian
      T-BACK
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:
        > Anyone else have their straps roll up with use?

        Yes. I use underquilts so that might make a difference, though.
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:
          > It seems that it tore apart right at the stitch as if it
          > were perforated like paper.

          Most likely the needle was cutting/damaging the webbing treads as it
          sewed the stitch. Then with each use the damaged area weakens until
          you're suddenly demoted to groundling status.

          Doug Frost
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
            Brian,

            You did not use a cutting (leather) needle when sewing that tag on did you?

            Rick

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
              > Brian,
              >
              > You did not use a cutting (leather) needle when sewing that tag on
              > did you?
              >
              > Rick

              Rick,

              I used my sewing machine. I'm too lazy to hand stitch anything short
              of leather if there is electricity nearby.

              Brian
              T-BACK
            • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006

                > Most likely the needle was cutting/damaging the webbing treads as
                > it
                > sewed the stitch. Then with each use the damaged area weakens
                > until
                > you're suddenly demoted to groundling status.
                >
                > Doug Frost

                Doug,

                I thought at first the needle on the machine might have had a burr on
                the tip. I looked at it through a magnifying glass but found nothing
                out of the ordinary. The two waterstops were sewn just seconds apart
                and the other one does not appear to have any damaged fibers.

                BRIAN
                T-BACK
              • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:
                  > > Anyone else have their straps roll up with use?
                  >
                  > Yes. I use underquilts so that might make a difference, though.

                  Jeff,

                  I'm not sure I follow you on how that could roll the straps. I use a
                  peapod but never considered that could cause the rolling.

                  Brian
                  T-BACK
                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:
                    > I'm not sure I follow you on how that could roll the straps. I use
                    > peapod but never considered that could cause the rolling.

                    JRB's underquilts are connected by tightening a shockcord hitch around
                    the hammock support, which necessarily folds the webbing in half, at
                    least. Depending on how much I tighten it, that hitch can squeeze the
                    webbing even further.

                    Patrick's KAQ uses a prussik, which has the same effect. A PeaPod is
                    supported by the end of the hammock and doesn't really squeeze the
                    webbing with its weight.

                    However, I don't use underquilts every time, so I'm not sure if the
                    webbing folds are a matter of memory from when I DO use underquilts,
                    or if it's caused just by the kind of loading a hammock subjects it to.

                    Jeff
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
                      I understand your use of the machine. But right now, MY sewing machine
                      is set up with a cutting needle, as the last project I had was in sewing
                      some naugahide.

                      As I read the thread, I too wondered about the reaction of the solvent
                      in the silicone sealer reacting with the strap.

                      I have done a lot of sewing of straps and never had a failure. It seems
                      it would have to be something else.

                      Rick

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 7, 2006
                        > I have done a lot of sewing of straps and never had a failure. It
                        > seems
                        > it would have to be something else.
                        >
                        > Rick

                        I would have to agree with you, I just wish I could figure out what
                        happened. I have sewn new straps in the same manner and used them
                        four nights in a row and have had no problems. The solvent does not
                        seem to have weakened them. Maybe there was a defect in the strap
                        itself since one failed while the other shows no sign of stress.
                        Thanks everyone for your input. Hopefully this fall will be my last.

                        Brian
                        T-BACK
                      • David Wills
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 8, 2006
                          I don't quite understand the need to keep the hammock dry. I have
                          been in a few rain storms in the past couple months with no drip lines
                          at all, much less functional systems, and my hammock predictably gets
                          wet for about 2 feet on each end. It has never even been a nuisance
                          though. I didn't even know it was wet until I put it up, and this was
                          after an 8 hour pounding. I use synthetic insulation, but it doesn't
                          get wet. Has anyone actually had noticable problems with water coming
                          in from the hanging lines, or is it just something that seems like it
                          needs to be taken care of? I could see how waterproof fabrics could
                          be a problem wit hstanding water, but uncoated nylons and silks don't
                          seem like they would be a noticable problem.
                          -David with no trailname
                        • Coy
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 8, 2006
                            David, I believe the type hanging strap and angle it is hung are big
                            contributers to the problem. If you look at the Hennessy it is easy
                            to see it will have less of a problem with water migrating down the
                            lines than a hammock hung with a polypropalyne web strap and at a
                            greater sag angle. That said, I use my Speer like hammock a lot
                            more than my Hennessy, epecially in the winter. I like to look at
                            the stars without a bug net in the way and sit in my hammock without
                            a rope making me lean forward. So far I have not had any real
                            problems getting wet in the Speer but have noticed the ends getting
                            wet like you mention. More rain and I may have gotten wetter.

                            What type hammock are you using?

                            Coy Boy

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 11, 2006
                              From: David Wills <little_daddy979@...>

                              > I don't quite understand the need to keep the hammock dry. I have
                              > been in a few rain storms in the past couple months with no drip
                              lines
                              > at all, much less functional systems, and my hammock predictably gets
                              > wet for about 2 feet on each end. It has never even been a nuisance
                              > though.

                              While I've never had a water problem with my HH, I realized my
                              homemade Speer-type hammock was funneling rainwater in when I woke up
                              in the middle of the night with my butt soaking wet. The hammock was
                              not holding water but it was letting track down to the lowest point
                              before it leaked through the fabric. Unfortunately I was using my
                              peapod as insulation and you can guess what happened, although it only
                              seemed to get wet in a small area. I believe what you are describing
                              is wetness from rain blown in under your tarp but my problem comes
                              from the rolled straps acting as a gutter.

                              Brian
                              T-BACK