Re: JRB Tarp suspension?

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2006
      I use 9' lengths of cord on each corner. Tensioners aren't
      required, but they sure do help keep the tarp tight as it stretches
      overnight.

      For the main ridgeline, putting one long cord underneath a tarp like
      the JRB will have two effects. First, it will prevent it from
      approximating a catenary, which will make it flap in the wind.
      Second, it will put pressure on the underside of the tarp...the wind
      could cause wear and tear by slapping the the tarp against the cord,
      and the cord could speed leakage through the tarp at that point.
      Therefore, I just attach a 9' length to each corner.

      Spectra isn't necessary for tarps, but it's light and strong. Keep
      in mind that you want the cord to fail before the tarp fails in
      strong winds. Repairing a broken cord is as simple as one
      knot...repairing a ripped tarp in the backcountry could spell
      trouble. So I just use a light cord (about 2mm) w/o spectra core.
      JRB's tarp tensioners are also 2mm cord...they work better than my
      homemade ones because of the heavier duty tubing.

      Enjoy your new gear!

      Jeff