JRB Tarp suspension?

  • danefliedner
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2006
      I finally ordered my JRB Nest, weathershield and 8x8 fly today-- very
      excited! I have been reading up on best way to hang the rainfly (up
      until now have used the stock HH fly)...

      Was curious how many are using the self-adjusting/rubber tubing on the
      sides of the fly, how needed they are, etc... also, what about along
      the main ridgeline? If I am going to tie directly to the trees (as
      suggested in the archives and on Just Jeff's site),do people tie one
      rope between the trees and hang the tarp over it, or tie two smaller
      lengths from the sides/ diagonal corners of the tarp to each side's
      tree?(and there is no rope underneath it)?

      Also, what kind of cordage are people using? Primarily spectra? If so,
      does it hold the knots? What weight? Flat vs. round? (I have read on
      Gossamer gear's site that the non flat stuff could harm the trees) How
      much length do you carry? Do you just approximate the length of the
      hammock plus ropes (I have a HH asym backpacker)? I'd like to get the
      missing pieces so I can take out my new system asap after I recieve my
      JRB stuff, so experienced input appreciated!
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2006
        I use 9' lengths of cord on each corner. Tensioners aren't
        required, but they sure do help keep the tarp tight as it stretches
        overnight.

        For the main ridgeline, putting one long cord underneath a tarp like
        the JRB will have two effects. First, it will prevent it from
        approximating a catenary, which will make it flap in the wind.
        Second, it will put pressure on the underside of the tarp...the wind
        could cause wear and tear by slapping the the tarp against the cord,
        and the cord could speed leakage through the tarp at that point.
        Therefore, I just attach a 9' length to each corner.

        Spectra isn't necessary for tarps, but it's light and strong. Keep
        in mind that you want the cord to fail before the tarp fails in
        strong winds. Repairing a broken cord is as simple as one
        knot...repairing a ripped tarp in the backcountry could spell
        trouble. So I just use a light cord (about 2mm) w/o spectra core.
        JRB's tarp tensioners are also 2mm cord...they work better than my
        homemade ones because of the heavier duty tubing.

        Enjoy your new gear!

        Jeff