RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Keeping the hammock dry...

  • Michael Carter
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
      Jamie,

      I'll try to post a picture when I get home this weekend. Right now I'm in Oregon.
      I'm headed home to NC tomorrow.

      Michael

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2006
        I wonder how this would work on a Hennessey if you made your rubber disk and punched a round hole smaller than the support rope and slide it into place. Seems to me this would work pretty well. If the fit was tight enough you might not even need the silicone.

        jh

        carterm@... wrote:
        Hi Marta,

        I'm using them on Ed's 1" webbing, on a homemade Speer type hammock.
        I had good luck with the bandana trick you showed me with the Hennessy ropes.
        (Worked fine for TS Cindy). Standing Indian is a good place to test the "water blockers" for sure.
        I'm planning another trip there in a few weeks. I have a friend that wants to go, and I'm working on getting his interest up on hammocking.

        Michael

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2006
          I actually played with this, but I found that tying a strip of bandana
          around each of the round ropes on the hennessy works
          extremely well. The rubber disk and silicone isn't necessary. I went
          through Tropical Storm Cindy last year this way w/o any water making it
          past the bandana strips. The problem with the Hennessy (I have an
          Ultralight Explorer Asym) was that there was so much water falling that as
          drips formed on the edge of the small tarp, the heavy rain would beat the
          tarp and make the drops splatter the hammock body and bug netting.
          I woke up regularly during the night and mopped up the water before my bag
          got wet, so I managed to stay dry. After that I bought a larger fly (hex
          fly) for that hammock. I now use an 8' X 10' 8" homemade silnylon tarp on
          a homemade Speer type hammock. I like having the larger tarp, and the
          hammock stays dry. My tarp weighs 12 oz, and the Hex fly is 19 oz, so
          guess which I carry. My tarp also has larger area than the hex fly.

          Michael