Re: Keeping the hammock dry...

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2006
      Michael,

      Please post a pic of this when you get a chance. I'm always
      interested in this thread but I can't picture your idea. I'm a
      visual learner, please be patient with me. :)

      jamie

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
      <carterm@...> wrote:

      > Just to keep the thread going regarding the ongoing saga of water
      running
      > down the straps and soaking the hammock.
      > Here's my latest "water blocker" idea for my hammock straps. It's
      working
      > very well so far.
      > I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in
      diameter
      > each. I cut a slot in each one, and
      > slid one over each hanging strap. I ran a thin bead of silicone
      on each
      > side of the disc along both sides of the strap.
      > This may not be absolutely necessary, but I wanted to rule out any
      > possibility of wicking. So far they are blocking
      > any water I can make run down the straps, and they weigh
      practically
      > nothing (less than 1/2 oz total). Long term test when I get back
      from
      > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
      idea,
      > but work will be getting in the way of that).
      >
      > Michael

    • Rosaleen Sullivan
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 5, 2006
        John, Michael, other Hennessy users-

        Are you actually having water seep in from the hammock ends, or are you looking at preventative measures?

        The only Hennessy with which I had water issues from the ends was the prototype Safari. It had sewn in seat belt webbing for support ropes. I added a drip line to one end and merely seam sealed the other (not with silicone sealer). Both solutions worked.

        Rosaleen

        From: john hill <nil_dog@...<mailto:nil_dog@...>>
        Subject: Re: Re: Keeping the hammock dry...

        I wonder how this would work on a Hennessey if you made your rubber disk and punched a round hole smaller than the support rope and slide it into place. Seems to me this would work pretty well. If the fit was tight enough you might not even need the silicone.

        jh

        carterm@...<mailto:carterm@...> wrote:
        Hi Marta,

        I'm using them on Ed's 1" webbing, on a homemade Speer type hammock.
        I had good luck with the bandana trick you showed me with the Hennessy ropes.
        (Worked fine for TS Cindy). Standing Indian is a good place to test the "water blockers" for sure.
        I'm planning another trip there in a few weeks. I have a friend that wants to go, and I'm working on getting his interest up on hammocking.

        Michael

      • Michael B. Carter
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5, 2006
          Hi Rosaleen,

          I use both a Hennessy Ultralight Explorer Asym and various home made Speer
          type hammocks. With the Hennessy, which uses round ropes, I've had great
          results just tying strips of bandana around the ropes to divert the
          water. Marta showed me this trick during tropical storm Cindy last year,
          and no water got past them at all. I don't like the tree hugger
          straps/rope combination on the Hennessy, so I'm using flat webbing straps
          on my Speer type hammock. I have a hard time tying the bandana strips to
          the flat webbing such that I can "guarantee" no water gets past the
          blocking strips. The webbing tries to roll up, and if it does so even very
          slightly, a gap forms between the strap and the block, and my backyard
          tests with a garden hose show that water will get through.

          So my efforts are for the webbing, which I happen to like better than the
          Hennessy setup. One idea that I'm playing with is to put something round
          (like a short length of dowel or plastic rod) in the strap and tie the
          water blocking strip around both the strap and the dowel. If the dowel is
          sized just right, the webbing will completely wrap until it touches itself
          w/o overlap. Then the bandana trick should work. I haven't tried this yet
          - just playing with different ideas in my head. So far the rubber discs
          are working, although I proved yesterday that the silicone sealer is required.

          Michael

        • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
            > John, Michael, other Hennessy users-
            >
            > Are you actually having water seep in from the hammock ends, or
            > are you looking at preventative measures?

            Rosaleen,

            I have never had a leak into my HH. I've never used drip lines but I
            don't use the stock tarp support hooks for my tarp attachment. Maybe
            these are acting as drip lines and diverting the water.

            Brian
            T-BACK
          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 8, 2006
              Brian-

              Another hammocker was asking about drip lines and mentioned he had a Hennessy and another hammock. Apparently, it was the non-Hennessy with which he had problems. Even with the stock fly, none of my Hennessys have leaked, with the exception of the prototype Safari. I was asking in order to see if we had a problem to solve. I'd say no.

              Thanks for your input!

              Rosaleen

              From: opnheartscrub@...<mailto:opnheartscrub@...>
              Subject: Re: Re: Re: Keeping the hammock dry...

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                Here's the solution that I've finally settled on for keeping water from
                running down my webbing and wetting the hammock.

                I use strips of cloth (bandana actually which I've had success with on the
                round ropes on my Hennessy) tied around the webbing.
                I use hair barrettes (thin metal ones from Walmart) on top of the cloth
                strips. This keeps the cloth in contact with the webbing, and the keeps
                the webbing flat. It passes the water hose test as well as anything else
                that I've tried.

                It's lightweight, cheap, easy, no stitches, no sealer and it works.

                Just in time - it's raining outside...

                Michael
              • marta_clark
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                  Cool idea, Michael. I'll have to give this a try next time I go out
                  with the hammock...since I seem to be a rain witch.

                  Marta

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                    From: Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...>
                    I was asking in order to see if we had a
                    > problem to solve. I'd say no.
                    > Thanks for your input!

                    Rosaleen,

                    I'd have to agree with you. I think the ropes shed the water much
                    more easily.

                    Brian
                    T-BACK