Re: winter hammock

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 1, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
      <marta_clark@y...> wrote:
      > How much use do you think
      > it takes to get a hammock stretched to it final size?

      Hrm...good question. Guess it depends on the type of fabric, too.
      I used untreated ripstop on mine, and I'd guess most of it was
      stretched out after 10-14 nights, maybe.

      I don't remember your design exactly, but when I made my first one I
      had enough extra length but not enough extra width, so it still
      compressed. I had to make sure I put in HUGE darts on all four
      sides of the bottom cover. If they're too big, you can always
      gather the cover towards the middle, put in a tailored seam, and
      trim the excess. You'll have an extra seam, but it's much easier
      than resewing the entire cover AND it'll give you some 3D fitting.
      Just a thought...take it or leave it!

      Sounds like your experimentation is giving some good lessons,
      though - I can't wait to see what your final product looks like!
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 28, 2006
        marta_clark <marta_clark@...> wrote:
        aMinor mishap: When I stopped reading and turned off my headlamp, I
        started wriggling around to get comfortable on my side. I heard a
        brief slithering sound and--wham--I was on the ground and rolling
        briskly downhill. After about two revolutions, I fought my way out
        of the Pea Pod, stopped the rolling, and got up to inspect the
        hammock. It was fine. The problem was operator error--one of the
        anchor trees was quite thick and I hadn't secured the strap well
        enough. Fortunately I was only about 6 inches above the ground,
        which was well padded with dry leaves. Unfortunately, I was on a
        steep slope. It would have made a good video...

        Marta

        *** sounds like something i`d do marta. except if i was w/ some of my regular camping partners, they`d make me lay there until they took a picture or two :~} ...tim

        tim garner