RE: [Hammock Camping] winter hammock

  • Michael Carter
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 1, 2006
      Marta,

      Sounds like you had an eventful trip to Standing Indian. Carter Gap can be a tough test, especially up on the ridge where you were.
      I'm glad you're learning how to do this, I'm watching these "warm hammock" posts with great interest. I have acquired materials to
      make one for myself, and I'm hoping to learn from the efforts of all the folks on the list that are ahead of me.

      Thanks for keeping us up to date with your efforts.

      Michael

      #1 Son (Benedict) and I set up camp outside the new Carter Gap
      Shelter well after dark. (That boy is a hiking fool--he just didn't
      want to stop!) I did a pretty poor job of setting up, which didn't
      help matters much. While we were eating supper the wind picked up
      and was soon blowing force 3-4, sounding like loud highway traffic.
      Air temp was about 40. I got into the hammock, with the very thick
      winter camping quilt over me. Within an hour, I was feeling the
      cold from through the bottom of the hammock. I reached around and,
      sure enough, between the tightening of the gray fabric and the
      stretching of the purple hammock bed, the insulation was compressed
      to well under an inch in thickness, probably about half an inch. In
      addition, the wind was making a huge racket with the sloppily-set-up
      rain fly. I beat a retreat and joined Ben in the tarptent.

      Around midnight the rain started in earnest. I jumped up and
      retrieved the hammock and used it as an additional quilt in the
      tent. Ben had a down bag which got pretty wet from rain splashing
      in around the bottom of the tarptent, and even more from the
      condensation that got onto us as the tarptent bowed and flexed in
      the wind.

      I missed an excellent opportunity to test systems for preventing
      rain infiltration into a hammock...and got an excellent illustration
      of how tenting does not assure one a dry night, either. (Yeah,
      yeah, we could have gone in the shelter, but what's the fun of that?)

      The next step: I'm planning to untie the whipping cords once again
      and sew little extensions on the gray fabric so it can get caught up
      in the cord without compressing the insulation. Hopefully I can
      test it on the porch this weekend.

      Gsi outdoors Happy camper Outdoors

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 28, 2006
        marta_clark <marta_clark@...> wrote:
        aMinor mishap: When I stopped reading and turned off my headlamp, I
        started wriggling around to get comfortable on my side. I heard a
        brief slithering sound and--wham--I was on the ground and rolling
        briskly downhill. After about two revolutions, I fought my way out
        of the Pea Pod, stopped the rolling, and got up to inspect the
        hammock. It was fine. The problem was operator error--one of the
        anchor trees was quite thick and I hadn't secured the strap well
        enough. Fortunately I was only about 6 inches above the ground,
        which was well padded with dry leaves. Unfortunately, I was on a
        steep slope. It would have made a good video...

        Marta

        *** sounds like something i`d do marta. except if i was w/ some of my regular camping partners, they`d make me lay there until they took a picture or two :~} ...tim

        tim garner