[Hammock Camping] Re: Keeping the hammock dry...

  • carterm@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2006
      Hi Marta,

      I'm using them on Ed's 1" webbing, on a homemade Speer type hammock.
      I had good luck with the bandana trick you showed me with the Hennessy ropes.
      (Worked fine for TS Cindy). Standing Indian is a good place to test the "water blockers" for sure.
      I'm planning another trip there in a few weeks. I have a friend that wants to go, and I'm working on getting his interest up on hammocking.

      Michael

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
        Jamie,

        I'll try to post a picture when I get home this weekend. Right now I'm in Oregon.
        I'm headed home to NC tomorrow.

        Michael

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2006
            I actually played with this, but I found that tying a strip of bandana
            around each of the round ropes on the hennessy works
            extremely well. The rubber disk and silicone isn't necessary. I went
            through Tropical Storm Cindy last year this way w/o any water making it
            past the bandana strips. The problem with the Hennessy (I have an
            Ultralight Explorer Asym) was that there was so much water falling that as
            drips formed on the edge of the small tarp, the heavy rain would beat the
            tarp and make the drops splatter the hammock body and bug netting.
            I woke up regularly during the night and mopped up the water before my bag
            got wet, so I managed to stay dry. After that I bought a larger fly (hex
            fly) for that hammock. I now use an 8' X 10' 8" homemade silnylon tarp on
            a homemade Speer type hammock. I like having the larger tarp, and the
            hammock stays dry. My tarp weighs 12 oz, and the Hex fly is 19 oz, so
            guess which I carry. My tarp also has larger area than the hex fly.

            Michael