Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Rope Diameter for Spectra Cord

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006
      > but this is not near the problem for the folks that start
      > off hanging their hammocks with more rope angle-- you are not
      > stressing the ropes as bad so they don't stretch as much and because
      > of the geometry of the larger angles the rope angle is not as
      > sensitive to changes in the rope lengths.

      Yes, I think you demonstrated that in Hot Springs with my HH. Thanks
      again for that lesson!

      > Now, about those mountain top lots I have for sell in south Florida...

      I'll take one. Where should I mail the check?

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • jonas4321
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006

        > To tell you the truth, I did not like the little spectra lines on my
        > hammock any more than I like them on the Hennessey Hammocks. The
        > braided exterior of mine tends to get little puffy pulls, and the
        line abraids the nylon of the hammock itself. The line does not
        flatten out
        > on a tree, so tree huggers become absolutely necessary to protect the
        > tree. It is all a lot of trouble.

        I have not had the spectra cord I bought (made by New England Rope)
        have any of the puffy pulls, but I don't have them anywhere near
        velcro or other such stuff, maybe that makes a difference?

        I did not like the way they worked against the fabric of my hammock,
        either. The small diameter gave me concerns that I would "slice" the
        fabric in the double sheet bend configuration. That's why I went to
        the hammock hugger strap on the hammock ends (pictures soon).

        I agree that the use of these ropes makes tree huggers necessary, but
        I am at the stage where I appreciate tree huggers, I have not reached
        a level of frequency of use or of weight concerns that others may
        have. In fact, I am using a carabiner on the strap to tie to- it makes
        the Hennessy knot very quick and easy to tie (but weight-conscious
        folks would not like the 'biner weights).

        Finally, I do LOVE the lack of stretch that these ropes provide. When
        I hang my hammock, there's no longer a need to adjust- it stays where
        I tied it and keeps its "sag" the same all night. That is the biggest
        benefit in my opinion.

        Jonas

        ps- I don't relish the thought of dropping a few feet to the ground,
        thanks for putting that "visual" into my head, Rick <grin>!!!