Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Rope Diameter for Spectra Cord

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006
      Good point. The higher a rope's elongation at breaking tension is,
      the more room for error you have. But, too much elongation is a
      hassle.

      Bill in Houston

      > We've talked about this from time to time on this web site. Rick
      makes
      > a good point that the manufacturer's specs might be conservative.
      It
      > makes sense with high quality manufacturers and as long as they
      don't
      > get in a 'strength war' that will likely remain the case... for
      high
      > quality manufacturers.
      >
      > There is another factor that I think also comes into play.
      > Unfortunately I don't have expert knowledge on how it all works so
      > can't explain it very well, but I'll try anyway. The tension on
      the
      > hammock suspension lines are understood and are a function of the
      > weight in the hammock and the angle of the hammock suspension lines
      > relative to the horizon.
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006
        > but this is not near the problem for the folks that start
        > off hanging their hammocks with more rope angle-- you are not
        > stressing the ropes as bad so they don't stretch as much and because
        > of the geometry of the larger angles the rope angle is not as
        > sensitive to changes in the rope lengths.

        Yes, I think you demonstrated that in Hot Springs with my HH. Thanks
        again for that lesson!

        > Now, about those mountain top lots I have for sell in south Florida...

        I'll take one. Where should I mail the check?

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • jonas4321
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006

          > To tell you the truth, I did not like the little spectra lines on my
          > hammock any more than I like them on the Hennessey Hammocks. The
          > braided exterior of mine tends to get little puffy pulls, and the
          line abraids the nylon of the hammock itself. The line does not
          flatten out
          > on a tree, so tree huggers become absolutely necessary to protect the
          > tree. It is all a lot of trouble.

          I have not had the spectra cord I bought (made by New England Rope)
          have any of the puffy pulls, but I don't have them anywhere near
          velcro or other such stuff, maybe that makes a difference?

          I did not like the way they worked against the fabric of my hammock,
          either. The small diameter gave me concerns that I would "slice" the
          fabric in the double sheet bend configuration. That's why I went to
          the hammock hugger strap on the hammock ends (pictures soon).

          I agree that the use of these ropes makes tree huggers necessary, but
          I am at the stage where I appreciate tree huggers, I have not reached
          a level of frequency of use or of weight concerns that others may
          have. In fact, I am using a carabiner on the strap to tie to- it makes
          the Hennessy knot very quick and easy to tie (but weight-conscious
          folks would not like the 'biner weights).

          Finally, I do LOVE the lack of stretch that these ropes provide. When
          I hang my hammock, there's no longer a need to adjust- it stays where
          I tied it and keeps its "sag" the same all night. That is the biggest
          benefit in my opinion.

          Jonas

          ps- I don't relish the thought of dropping a few feet to the ground,
          thanks for putting that "visual" into my head, Rick <grin>!!!