Hammock Rope Diameter for Spectra Cord

  • hdnat
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 30, 2006
      I'm looking at spectra cord for hanging a byer mosquito and am finding
      5.5mm and 9mm diameters. I weigh about 200 lbs, give or take a pound or
      2. Would the 5.5 mm spectra be strong enough for supporting the hammock
      (and me, too)? What specs should I be looking for? any suggestions for
      suppliers? I've used webbing on this hammock in the past, but like
      using rope better.

      David N.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30, 2006
        Last time I checked, the working strength on 3 mm spectra was plenty
        strong enough.

        see

        http://www.imrisk.com/thinline/thinline.htm

        Rick

        hdnat wrote:
        > I'm looking at spectra cord for hanging a byer mosquito and am finding
        > 5.5mm and 9mm diameters. I weigh about 200 lbs, give or take a pound or
        > 2. Would the 5.5 mm spectra be strong enough for supporting the hammock
        > (and me, too)? What specs should I be looking for? any suggestions for
        > suppliers? I've used webbing on this hammock in the past, but like
        > using rope better.
        >
        > David N.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • LHM
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 30, 2006
          Difference between rated working load and breaking strength is
          usually a factor of at least five or six -- and particularly so for
          non-stretch rope or cord. Given a breaking strength of 950 lbs, the
          working load could be as little as about 150 lbs, and the main
          support rope for a hammock is likely to see a load of several times
          the weight of the inhabitant (perhaps as much as that weight
          multiplied by the tangent of the angle between support rope and
          vertical-down?). I don't know much about hammocks, but I know a lot
          about cordage in other applications, and I wouldn't be inclined to
          bet my safety on a nearly-horizontal hammock rope unless it had a
          *working strength* of several times my weight. If it were nylon, of
          course, I'd know I had a problem when the stretch exceeded about ten
          percent ... but if it's dacron, you don't necessarily know until it fails.

          If I'm wrong, please tell me why ...

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006
            Breaking strength, as promoted by the maker is usually much less than
            the real breaking strength. I can tell you by experience that the
            little ropes I tried seemed very very strong in this application. They
            are undoubtedly much stronger than the polypropylene lines I have also
            used.

            Before considering use of lines like this for climbing or hanging from
            40 feet up in a tree, I'd have grave concerns. However, the risks of
            falling a foot or two (probably slowly) in a hammock application is not
            something that gives me bad dreams. I sometimes think it is easier to
            just test a cord or piece of webbing by attaching it to a hammock rather
            than getting my slide rule out.

            To tell you the truth, I did not like the little spectra lines on my
            hammock any more than I like them on the Hennessey Hammocks. The
            braided exterior of mine tends to get little puffy pulls, and the line
            abraids the nylon of the hammock itself. The line does not flatten out
            on a tree, so tree huggers become absolutely necessary to protect the
            tree. It is all a lot of trouble.

            I continue to use polypropylene or Polyester line or webbing for that
            reason.

            Risk

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006

              > Breaking strength, as promoted by the maker is usually much less than
              > the real breaking strength.

              We've talked about this from time to time on this web site. Rick makes
              a good point that the manufacturer's specs might be conservative. It
              makes sense with high quality manufacturers and as long as they don't
              get in a 'strength war' that will likely remain the case... for high
              quality manufacturers.

              There is another factor that I think also comes into play.
              Unfortunately I don't have expert knowledge on how it all works so I
              can't explain it very well, but I'll try anyway. The tension on the
              hammock suspension lines are understood and are a function of the
              weight in the hammock and the angle of the hammock suspension lines
              relative to the horizon. This chart shows how this angle affects the
              tension of the hammock suspension lines: http://tinyurl.com/7onfm .
              What this chart is saying is that at a 30 degree rope angle the tension
              on both hammock suspension lines is equal to the weight in the hammock,
              at 15 degrees it is twice the weight in the hammock, at 10 degrees it
              is three times the weight, at 6 degrees it is five times the weight,
              etc. It dramatically shows that where you get in trouble fast is at
              small rope angles. But this is where is gets interesting-- at these
              small angles there isn't much difference in the rope lengths. For
              instance if I calculate the rope lengths for a hammock with a 10 foot
              length and 15 feet between the supports, I get rope lengths of 2.54
              feet at 6 degrees, 2.62 feet at 10 degrees and 2.76 feet at 15
              degrees. Now pay attention because this is like a magic trick! The
              percentage difference in rope lengths when you use the 2.54 feet at 6
              degrees as a reference is: 3.1 percent at 10 degrees and 8.61 percent
              at 15 degrees... and the hammock body itself is also made of nylon
              (which is stretchy) which will also help. When the ropes stretch
              because of the tension applied to them, they reduce the rope angle and
              relieve the tension that is causing the stretch to a tension that they
              can support and the ropes don't break when by design they probably
              should have failed? Us hammock hangers got lucky on this one.

              This does make it hard to hang a hammock because of the stretch when it
              is occupied but this is not near the problem for the folks that start
              off hanging their hammocks with more rope angle-- you are not stressing
              the ropes as bad so they don't stretch as much and because of the
              geometry of the larger angles the rope angle is not as sensitive to
              changes in the rope lengths.

              Now, about those mountain top lots I have for sell in south Florida...

              Youngblood
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006
                Opps, noticed and error...

                I said it backwards, 'reduce' should be 'increase'... like this:

                "When the ropes stretch because of the tension applied to them, they
                INCREASE the rope angle and relieve the tension that is causing the

              • Bill in Houston
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006
                  Good point. The higher a rope's elongation at breaking tension is,
                  the more room for error you have. But, too much elongation is a
                  hassle.

                  Bill in Houston

                  > We've talked about this from time to time on this web site. Rick
                  makes
                  > a good point that the manufacturer's specs might be conservative.
                  It
                  > makes sense with high quality manufacturers and as long as they
                  don't
                  > get in a 'strength war' that will likely remain the case... for
                  high
                  > quality manufacturers.
                  >
                  > There is another factor that I think also comes into play.
                  > Unfortunately I don't have expert knowledge on how it all works so
                  > can't explain it very well, but I'll try anyway. The tension on
                  the
                  > hammock suspension lines are understood and are a function of the
                  > weight in the hammock and the angle of the hammock suspension lines
                  > relative to the horizon.
                • J.D. Hoessle
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006
                    > but this is not near the problem for the folks that start
                    > off hanging their hammocks with more rope angle-- you are not
                    > stressing the ropes as bad so they don't stretch as much and because
                    > of the geometry of the larger angles the rope angle is not as
                    > sensitive to changes in the rope lengths.

                    Yes, I think you demonstrated that in Hot Springs with my HH. Thanks
                    again for that lesson!

                    > Now, about those mountain top lots I have for sell in south Florida...

                    I'll take one. Where should I mail the check?

                    Happy Trails,

                    J.D.
                  • jonas4321
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006

                      > To tell you the truth, I did not like the little spectra lines on my
                      > hammock any more than I like them on the Hennessey Hammocks. The
                      > braided exterior of mine tends to get little puffy pulls, and the
                      line abraids the nylon of the hammock itself. The line does not
                      flatten out
                      > on a tree, so tree huggers become absolutely necessary to protect the
                      > tree. It is all a lot of trouble.

                      I have not had the spectra cord I bought (made by New England Rope)
                      have any of the puffy pulls, but I don't have them anywhere near
                      velcro or other such stuff, maybe that makes a difference?

                      I did not like the way they worked against the fabric of my hammock,
                      either. The small diameter gave me concerns that I would "slice" the
                      fabric in the double sheet bend configuration. That's why I went to
                      the hammock hugger strap on the hammock ends (pictures soon).

                      I agree that the use of these ropes makes tree huggers necessary, but
                      I am at the stage where I appreciate tree huggers, I have not reached
                      a level of frequency of use or of weight concerns that others may
                      have. In fact, I am using a carabiner on the strap to tie to- it makes
                      the Hennessy knot very quick and easy to tie (but weight-conscious
                      folks would not like the 'biner weights).

                      Finally, I do LOVE the lack of stretch that these ropes provide. When
                      I hang my hammock, there's no longer a need to adjust- it stays where
                      I tied it and keeps its "sag" the same all night. That is the biggest
                      benefit in my opinion.

                      Jonas

                      ps- I don't relish the thought of dropping a few feet to the ground,
                      thanks for putting that "visual" into my head, Rick <grin>!!!