RE: [Hammock Camping] Using Velcro to secure bottom quilts - it works

  • Chuck Haak
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 30, 2006
      Dave Chamberlain Wrote:
      I have not seen anyone mention using Velcro to secure a bottom quilt in
      place.

      Hi Dave
      I recently made an underquilt that uses the Velcro along the sides of my
      homemade Speer. Instead of continuous Velcro on the quilt I used strips
      about 10" long spaced along the edges. I have only used it once, but it
      worked very well. I should note that I rarely use the bug net, but it would
      not be impossible to make a quilt that allows for attachment of the bug net.

      As with all underquilts, you should either make it form fitting or make it
      in a way that you can snug it up under the hammock. I made a rectangular
      quilt and ran a series of draw strings in tubes across it about 16" apart. I
      get into my hammock, adjust the drawstrings to snug the quilt under me and
      cozy in for the night. As I said, it worked very well, in fact, one night I
      was too warm in mid 30s temps. It occurred to me later that if I got too
      warm during the night, I could loosen the drawstrings to decrease the
      efficiency of the quilt. I haven't tried that though.

      Pbmoo4 in Tucson
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 30, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
        <carterm@m...> wrote:
        > I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in diameter
        > each. I cut a slot in each one, and slid one over each hanging strap.
        > I ran a thin bead of silicone on each side of the disc along both
        > sides of the strap.
        > Long term test when I get back from
        > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
        > idea, but work will be getting in the way of that).

        Thanks Michael!

        I like this idea....! Please let us know how the long-term test goes.

        Thanks!

        J.D.
      • marta_clark
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 31, 2006
          What type of hammock straps are you working with here--the thin
          Hennessey cords, or flat straps?

          Marta

          PS--There was an excellent rainstorm Saturday night in the Standing
          Indian area.

          <carterm@m...> wrote:

          > Just to keep the thread going regarding the ongoing saga of water
          running
          > down the straps and soaking the hammock.
          > Here's my latest "water blocker" idea for my hammock straps. It's
          working
          > very well so far.
          > I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in
          diameter
          > each. I cut a slot in each one, and
          > slid one over each hanging strap. I ran a thin bead of silicone
          on each
          > side of the disc along both sides of the strap.
          > This may not be absolutely necessary, but I wanted to rule out any
          > possibility of wicking. So far they are blocking
          > any water I can make run down the straps, and they weigh
          practically
          > nothing (less than 1/2 oz total). Long term test when I get back
          from
          > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
          idea,
          > but work will be getting in the way of that).
          >
          > Michael

        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2, 2006
            Michael,

            Please post a pic of this when you get a chance. I'm always
            interested in this thread but I can't picture your idea. I'm a
            visual learner, please be patient with me. :)

            jamie

            <carterm@...> wrote:

            > Just to keep the thread going regarding the ongoing saga of water
            running
            > down the straps and soaking the hammock.
            > Here's my latest "water blocker" idea for my hammock straps. It's
            working
            > very well so far.
            > I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in
            diameter
            > each. I cut a slot in each one, and
            > slid one over each hanging strap. I ran a thin bead of silicone
            on each
            > side of the disc along both sides of the strap.
            > This may not be absolutely necessary, but I wanted to rule out any
            > possibility of wicking. So far they are blocking
            > any water I can make run down the straps, and they weigh
            practically
            > nothing (less than 1/2 oz total). Long term test when I get back
            from
            > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
            idea,
            > but work will be getting in the way of that).
            >
            > Michael

          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5, 2006
              John, Michael, other Hennessy users-

              Are you actually having water seep in from the hammock ends, or are you looking at preventative measures?

              The only Hennessy with which I had water issues from the ends was the prototype Safari. It had sewn in seat belt webbing for support ropes. I added a drip line to one end and merely seam sealed the other (not with silicone sealer). Both solutions worked.

              Rosaleen

              From: john hill <nil_dog@...<mailto:nil_dog@...>>
              Subject: Re: Re: Keeping the hammock dry...

              I wonder how this would work on a Hennessey if you made your rubber disk and punched a round hole smaller than the support rope and slide it into place. Seems to me this would work pretty well. If the fit was tight enough you might not even need the silicone.

              jh

              carterm@...<mailto:carterm@...> wrote:
              Hi Marta,

              I'm using them on Ed's 1" webbing, on a homemade Speer type hammock.
              I had good luck with the bandana trick you showed me with the Hennessy ropes.
              (Worked fine for TS Cindy). Standing Indian is a good place to test the "water blockers" for sure.
              I'm planning another trip there in a few weeks. I have a friend that wants to go, and I'm working on getting his interest up on hammocking.

              Michael

            • Michael B. Carter
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5, 2006
                Hi Rosaleen,

                I use both a Hennessy Ultralight Explorer Asym and various home made Speer
                type hammocks. With the Hennessy, which uses round ropes, I've had great
                results just tying strips of bandana around the ropes to divert the
                water. Marta showed me this trick during tropical storm Cindy last year,
                and no water got past them at all. I don't like the tree hugger
                straps/rope combination on the Hennessy, so I'm using flat webbing straps
                on my Speer type hammock. I have a hard time tying the bandana strips to
                the flat webbing such that I can "guarantee" no water gets past the
                blocking strips. The webbing tries to roll up, and if it does so even very
                slightly, a gap forms between the strap and the block, and my backyard
                tests with a garden hose show that water will get through.

                So my efforts are for the webbing, which I happen to like better than the
                Hennessy setup. One idea that I'm playing with is to put something round
                (like a short length of dowel or plastic rod) in the strap and tie the
                water blocking strip around both the strap and the dowel. If the dowel is
                sized just right, the webbing will completely wrap until it touches itself
                w/o overlap. Then the bandana trick should work. I haven't tried this yet
                - just playing with different ideas in my head. So far the rubber discs
                are working, although I proved yesterday that the silicone sealer is required.

                Michael

              • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
                  > John, Michael, other Hennessy users-
                  >
                  > Are you actually having water seep in from the hammock ends, or
                  > are you looking at preventative measures?

                  Rosaleen,

                  I have never had a leak into my HH. I've never used drip lines but I
                  don't use the stock tarp support hooks for my tarp attachment. Maybe
                  these are acting as drip lines and diverting the water.

                  Brian
                  T-BACK
                • Rosaleen Sullivan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 8, 2006
                    Brian-

                    Another hammocker was asking about drip lines and mentioned he had a Hennessy and another hammock. Apparently, it was the non-Hennessy with which he had problems. Even with the stock fly, none of my Hennessys have leaked, with the exception of the prototype Safari. I was asking in order to see if we had a problem to solve. I'd say no.

                    Thanks for your input!

                    Rosaleen

                    From: opnheartscrub@...<mailto:opnheartscrub@...>
                    Subject: Re: Re: Re: Keeping the hammock dry...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                      Here's the solution that I've finally settled on for keeping water from
                      running down my webbing and wetting the hammock.

                      I use strips of cloth (bandana actually which I've had success with on the
                      round ropes on my Hennessy) tied around the webbing.
                      I use hair barrettes (thin metal ones from Walmart) on top of the cloth
                      strips. This keeps the cloth in contact with the webbing, and the keeps
                      the webbing flat. It passes the water hose test as well as anything else
                      that I've tried.

                      It's lightweight, cheap, easy, no stitches, no sealer and it works.

                      Just in time - it's raining outside...

                      Michael
                    • marta_clark
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                        Cool idea, Michael. I'll have to give this a try next time I go out
                        with the hammock...since I seem to be a rain witch.

                        Marta

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                          From: Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...>
                          I was asking in order to see if we had a
                          > problem to solve. I'd say no.
                          > Thanks for your input!

                          Rosaleen,

                          I'd have to agree with you. I think the ropes shed the water much
                          more easily.

                          Brian
                          T-BACK