Re: Re: comfy like my hammock

  • Matthew Takeda
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 30, 2006
      Moz wrote:
      >Yeah, but we mostly ride real bikes. Motors are for wimps.
      >
      >http://moz.net.nz/image2/moz-clothesline.jpg

      Then you might like this:

      Subject: I raced a Harley today - from the BritIron list

      Wayne reports:

      I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the
      guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of canyon
      road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have
      warning signs that say "15 MPH".

      I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch
      motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and
      rider skill are
      more important than horsepower alone.

      I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could
      catch him,
      but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. three
      corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him
      would prove to be another.

      Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I
      think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he
      could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to
      him as we
      started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and
      outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this
      only made
      me more determined than ever.

      My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever
      until the last
      instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner
      after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up.
      Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would
      pass me for
      good.

      But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out
      my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was
      more than a
      full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

      Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before
      he passed
      me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind
      of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery
      and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him.
      though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the
      canyon and I had
      preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of britiron.

      I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in
      my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well.
      They really
      make a great bicycle...

      wayne
      www.mosscarpentry.com

      Matthew Takeda
      the JOAT
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 30, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...> wrote:
        > I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so
        > hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as
        > well. They really make a great bicycle...

        ...hehehe!

        The "lungs" (valve covers) that stick out on my BMW are worn so thin
        from being sanded down by the pavement when getting into coners that
        they actually seep oil.

        J.D.