Re: [Hammock Camping] Keeping the hammock dry...

  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 29, 2006
      Long term test when I get back
      > from
      > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
      > idea,
      > but work will be getting in the way of that).
      >
      > Michael

      Good luck with your trial. I hope you have found a solution that
      works for you. Have fun on your trip and let us know how the disks
      work.

      Brian
      T-BACK
    • Chuck Haak
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 30, 2006
        Dave Chamberlain Wrote:
        I have not seen anyone mention using Velcro to secure a bottom quilt in
        place.

        Hi Dave
        I recently made an underquilt that uses the Velcro along the sides of my
        homemade Speer. Instead of continuous Velcro on the quilt I used strips
        about 10" long spaced along the edges. I have only used it once, but it
        worked very well. I should note that I rarely use the bug net, but it would
        not be impossible to make a quilt that allows for attachment of the bug net.

        As with all underquilts, you should either make it form fitting or make it
        in a way that you can snug it up under the hammock. I made a rectangular
        quilt and ran a series of draw strings in tubes across it about 16" apart. I
        get into my hammock, adjust the drawstrings to snug the quilt under me and
        cozy in for the night. As I said, it worked very well, in fact, one night I
        was too warm in mid 30s temps. It occurred to me later that if I got too
        warm during the night, I could loosen the drawstrings to decrease the
        efficiency of the quilt. I haven't tried that though.

        Pbmoo4 in Tucson
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 30, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
          <carterm@m...> wrote:
          > I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in diameter
          > each. I cut a slot in each one, and slid one over each hanging strap.
          > I ran a thin bead of silicone on each side of the disc along both
          > sides of the strap.
          > Long term test when I get back from
          > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
          > idea, but work will be getting in the way of that).

          Thanks Michael!

          I like this idea....! Please let us know how the long-term test goes.

          Thanks!

          J.D.
        • marta_clark
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 31, 2006
            What type of hammock straps are you working with here--the thin
            Hennessey cords, or flat straps?

            Marta

            PS--There was an excellent rainstorm Saturday night in the Standing
            Indian area.

            <carterm@m...> wrote:

            > Just to keep the thread going regarding the ongoing saga of water
            running
            > down the straps and soaking the hammock.
            > Here's my latest "water blocker" idea for my hammock straps. It's
            working
            > very well so far.
            > I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in
            diameter
            > each. I cut a slot in each one, and
            > slid one over each hanging strap. I ran a thin bead of silicone
            on each
            > side of the disc along both sides of the strap.
            > This may not be absolutely necessary, but I wanted to rule out any
            > possibility of wicking. So far they are blocking
            > any water I can make run down the straps, and they weigh
            practically
            > nothing (less than 1/2 oz total). Long term test when I get back
            from
            > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
            idea,
            > but work will be getting in the way of that).
            >
            > Michael

          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2, 2006
              Michael,

              Please post a pic of this when you get a chance. I'm always
              interested in this thread but I can't picture your idea. I'm a
              visual learner, please be patient with me. :)

              jamie

              <carterm@...> wrote:

              > Just to keep the thread going regarding the ongoing saga of water
              running
              > down the straps and soaking the hammock.
              > Here's my latest "water blocker" idea for my hammock straps. It's
              working
              > very well so far.
              > I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in
              diameter
              > each. I cut a slot in each one, and
              > slid one over each hanging strap. I ran a thin bead of silicone
              on each
              > side of the disc along both sides of the strap.
              > This may not be absolutely necessary, but I wanted to rule out any
              > possibility of wicking. So far they are blocking
              > any water I can make run down the straps, and they weigh
              practically
              > nothing (less than 1/2 oz total). Long term test when I get back
              from
              > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
              idea,
              > but work will be getting in the way of that).
              >
              > Michael

            • Rosaleen Sullivan
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5, 2006
                John, Michael, other Hennessy users-

                Are you actually having water seep in from the hammock ends, or are you looking at preventative measures?

                The only Hennessy with which I had water issues from the ends was the prototype Safari. It had sewn in seat belt webbing for support ropes. I added a drip line to one end and merely seam sealed the other (not with silicone sealer). Both solutions worked.

                Rosaleen

                From: john hill <nil_dog@...<mailto:nil_dog@...>>
                Subject: Re: Re: Keeping the hammock dry...

                I wonder how this would work on a Hennessey if you made your rubber disk and punched a round hole smaller than the support rope and slide it into place. Seems to me this would work pretty well. If the fit was tight enough you might not even need the silicone.

                jh

                carterm@...<mailto:carterm@...> wrote:
                Hi Marta,

                I'm using them on Ed's 1" webbing, on a homemade Speer type hammock.
                I had good luck with the bandana trick you showed me with the Hennessy ropes.
                (Worked fine for TS Cindy). Standing Indian is a good place to test the "water blockers" for sure.
                I'm planning another trip there in a few weeks. I have a friend that wants to go, and I'm working on getting his interest up on hammocking.

                Michael

              • Michael B. Carter
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 5, 2006
                  Hi Rosaleen,

                  I use both a Hennessy Ultralight Explorer Asym and various home made Speer
                  type hammocks. With the Hennessy, which uses round ropes, I've had great
                  results just tying strips of bandana around the ropes to divert the
                  water. Marta showed me this trick during tropical storm Cindy last year,
                  and no water got past them at all. I don't like the tree hugger
                  straps/rope combination on the Hennessy, so I'm using flat webbing straps
                  on my Speer type hammock. I have a hard time tying the bandana strips to
                  the flat webbing such that I can "guarantee" no water gets past the
                  blocking strips. The webbing tries to roll up, and if it does so even very
                  slightly, a gap forms between the strap and the block, and my backyard
                  tests with a garden hose show that water will get through.

                  So my efforts are for the webbing, which I happen to like better than the
                  Hennessy setup. One idea that I'm playing with is to put something round
                  (like a short length of dowel or plastic rod) in the strap and tie the
                  water blocking strip around both the strap and the dowel. If the dowel is
                  sized just right, the webbing will completely wrap until it touches itself
                  w/o overlap. Then the bandana trick should work. I haven't tried this yet
                  - just playing with different ideas in my head. So far the rubber discs
                  are working, although I proved yesterday that the silicone sealer is required.

                  Michael

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
                    > John, Michael, other Hennessy users-
                    >
                    > Are you actually having water seep in from the hammock ends, or
                    > are you looking at preventative measures?

                    Rosaleen,

                    I have never had a leak into my HH. I've never used drip lines but I
                    don't use the stock tarp support hooks for my tarp attachment. Maybe
                    these are acting as drip lines and diverting the water.

                    Brian
                    T-BACK
                  • Rosaleen Sullivan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 8, 2006
                      Brian-

                      Another hammocker was asking about drip lines and mentioned he had a Hennessy and another hammock. Apparently, it was the non-Hennessy with which he had problems. Even with the stock fly, none of my Hennessys have leaked, with the exception of the prototype Safari. I was asking in order to see if we had a problem to solve. I'd say no.

                      Thanks for your input!

                      Rosaleen

                      From: opnheartscrub@...<mailto:opnheartscrub@...>
                      Subject: Re: Re: Re: Keeping the hammock dry...

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                        Here's the solution that I've finally settled on for keeping water from
                        running down my webbing and wetting the hammock.

                        I use strips of cloth (bandana actually which I've had success with on the
                        round ropes on my Hennessy) tied around the webbing.
                        I use hair barrettes (thin metal ones from Walmart) on top of the cloth
                        strips. This keeps the cloth in contact with the webbing, and the keeps
                        the webbing flat. It passes the water hose test as well as anything else
                        that I've tried.

                        It's lightweight, cheap, easy, no stitches, no sealer and it works.

                        Just in time - it's raining outside...

                        Michael
                      • marta_clark
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                          Cool idea, Michael. I'll have to give this a try next time I go out
                          with the hammock...since I seem to be a rain witch.

                          Marta

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                            From: Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...>
                            I was asking in order to see if we had a
                            > problem to solve. I'd say no.
                            > Thanks for your input!

                            Rosaleen,

                            I'd have to agree with you. I think the ropes shed the water much
                            more easily.

                            Brian
                            T-BACK