Re: [Hammock Camping] Using Velcro to secure bottom quilts

  • David Trent
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 29, 2006
      David,
      I am a newby at this stuff, but I also ordered a KAQ underquilt last week for my HH. So let the experiments begin! Will be looking for some of your thoughts, and hope I have something to add.

      "David B. Chamberlain" <dbchamber@...> wrote:
      I have not seen anyone mention using Velcro to secure a bottom quilt in place. On the Speer hammock there is Velcro to allow attachment of the bug net in summer. It seems to me that this same Velcro could be used to attach the underquilt. There would be no gaps for the wind to sneak into and the bottom quilt would stay snug. There might be some compression right at the point of connection but otherwise there should not be any problems.

      I just ordered a KickAss quilt for my HH and I am going to experiment with Velcro (either continuous or in short tabs) unless this has already been tried and found wanting.

      I hope to meet some of you at the April hang in.

      Dave Chamberlain

    • Michael B. Carter
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 29, 2006
        Just to keep the thread going regarding the ongoing saga of water running
        down the straps and soaking the hammock.
        Here's my latest "water blocker" idea for my hammock straps. It's working
        very well so far.
        I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in diameter
        each. I cut a slot in each one, and
        slid one over each hanging strap. I ran a thin bead of silicone on each
        side of the disc along both sides of the strap.
        This may not be absolutely necessary, but I wanted to rule out any
        possibility of wicking. So far they are blocking
        any water I can make run down the straps, and they weigh practically
        nothing (less than 1/2 oz total). Long term test when I get back from
        Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the idea,
        but work will be getting in the way of that).

        Michael

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 29, 2006
            Long term test when I get back
            > from
            > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
            > idea,
            > but work will be getting in the way of that).
            >
            > Michael

            Good luck with your trial. I hope you have found a solution that
            works for you. Have fun on your trip and let us know how the disks
            work.

            Brian
            T-BACK
          • Chuck Haak
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 30, 2006
              Dave Chamberlain Wrote:
              I have not seen anyone mention using Velcro to secure a bottom quilt in
              place.

              Hi Dave
              I recently made an underquilt that uses the Velcro along the sides of my
              homemade Speer. Instead of continuous Velcro on the quilt I used strips
              about 10" long spaced along the edges. I have only used it once, but it
              worked very well. I should note that I rarely use the bug net, but it would
              not be impossible to make a quilt that allows for attachment of the bug net.

              As with all underquilts, you should either make it form fitting or make it
              in a way that you can snug it up under the hammock. I made a rectangular
              quilt and ran a series of draw strings in tubes across it about 16" apart. I
              get into my hammock, adjust the drawstrings to snug the quilt under me and
              cozy in for the night. As I said, it worked very well, in fact, one night I
              was too warm in mid 30s temps. It occurred to me later that if I got too
              warm during the night, I could loosen the drawstrings to decrease the
              efficiency of the quilt. I haven't tried that though.

              Pbmoo4 in Tucson
            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 30, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
                <carterm@m...> wrote:
                > I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in diameter
                > each. I cut a slot in each one, and slid one over each hanging strap.
                > I ran a thin bead of silicone on each side of the disc along both
                > sides of the strap.
                > Long term test when I get back from
                > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
                > idea, but work will be getting in the way of that).

                Thanks Michael!

                I like this idea....! Please let us know how the long-term test goes.

                Thanks!

                J.D.
              • marta_clark
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 31, 2006
                  What type of hammock straps are you working with here--the thin
                  Hennessey cords, or flat straps?

                  Marta

                  PS--There was an excellent rainstorm Saturday night in the Standing
                  Indian area.

                  <carterm@m...> wrote:

                  > Just to keep the thread going regarding the ongoing saga of water
                  running
                  > down the straps and soaking the hammock.
                  > Here's my latest "water blocker" idea for my hammock straps. It's
                  working
                  > very well so far.
                  > I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in
                  diameter
                  > each. I cut a slot in each one, and
                  > slid one over each hanging strap. I ran a thin bead of silicone
                  on each
                  > side of the disc along both sides of the strap.
                  > This may not be absolutely necessary, but I wanted to rule out any
                  > possibility of wicking. So far they are blocking
                  > any water I can make run down the straps, and they weigh
                  practically
                  > nothing (less than 1/2 oz total). Long term test when I get back
                  from
                  > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
                  idea,
                  > but work will be getting in the way of that).
                  >
                  > Michael

                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Michael,

                    Please post a pic of this when you get a chance. I'm always
                    interested in this thread but I can't picture your idea. I'm a
                    visual learner, please be patient with me. :)

                    jamie

                    <carterm@...> wrote:

                    > Just to keep the thread going regarding the ongoing saga of water
                    running
                    > down the straps and soaking the hammock.
                    > Here's my latest "water blocker" idea for my hammock straps. It's
                    working
                    > very well so far.
                    > I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in
                    diameter
                    > each. I cut a slot in each one, and
                    > slid one over each hanging strap. I ran a thin bead of silicone
                    on each
                    > side of the disc along both sides of the strap.
                    > This may not be absolutely necessary, but I wanted to rule out any
                    > possibility of wicking. So far they are blocking
                    > any water I can make run down the straps, and they weigh
                    practically
                    > nothing (less than 1/2 oz total). Long term test when I get back
                    from
                    > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
                    idea,
                    > but work will be getting in the way of that).
                    >
                    > Michael

                  • Rosaleen Sullivan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 5, 2006
                      John, Michael, other Hennessy users-

                      Are you actually having water seep in from the hammock ends, or are you looking at preventative measures?

                      The only Hennessy with which I had water issues from the ends was the prototype Safari. It had sewn in seat belt webbing for support ropes. I added a drip line to one end and merely seam sealed the other (not with silicone sealer). Both solutions worked.

                      Rosaleen

                      From: john hill <nil_dog@...<mailto:nil_dog@...>>
                      Subject: Re: Re: Keeping the hammock dry...

                      I wonder how this would work on a Hennessey if you made your rubber disk and punched a round hole smaller than the support rope and slide it into place. Seems to me this would work pretty well. If the fit was tight enough you might not even need the silicone.

                      jh

                      carterm@...<mailto:carterm@...> wrote:
                      Hi Marta,

                      I'm using them on Ed's 1" webbing, on a homemade Speer type hammock.
                      I had good luck with the bandana trick you showed me with the Hennessy ropes.
                      (Worked fine for TS Cindy). Standing Indian is a good place to test the "water blockers" for sure.
                      I'm planning another trip there in a few weeks. I have a friend that wants to go, and I'm working on getting his interest up on hammocking.

                      Michael

                    • Michael B. Carter
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 5, 2006
                        Hi Rosaleen,

                        I use both a Hennessy Ultralight Explorer Asym and various home made Speer
                        type hammocks. With the Hennessy, which uses round ropes, I've had great
                        results just tying strips of bandana around the ropes to divert the
                        water. Marta showed me this trick during tropical storm Cindy last year,
                        and no water got past them at all. I don't like the tree hugger
                        straps/rope combination on the Hennessy, so I'm using flat webbing straps
                        on my Speer type hammock. I have a hard time tying the bandana strips to
                        the flat webbing such that I can "guarantee" no water gets past the
                        blocking strips. The webbing tries to roll up, and if it does so even very
                        slightly, a gap forms between the strap and the block, and my backyard
                        tests with a garden hose show that water will get through.

                        So my efforts are for the webbing, which I happen to like better than the
                        Hennessy setup. One idea that I'm playing with is to put something round
                        (like a short length of dowel or plastic rod) in the strap and tie the
                        water blocking strip around both the strap and the dowel. If the dowel is
                        sized just right, the webbing will completely wrap until it touches itself
                        w/o overlap. Then the bandana trick should work. I haven't tried this yet
                        - just playing with different ideas in my head. So far the rubber discs
                        are working, although I proved yesterday that the silicone sealer is required.

                        Michael

                      • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
                          > John, Michael, other Hennessy users-
                          >
                          > Are you actually having water seep in from the hammock ends, or
                          > are you looking at preventative measures?

                          Rosaleen,

                          I have never had a leak into my HH. I've never used drip lines but I
                          don't use the stock tarp support hooks for my tarp attachment. Maybe
                          these are acting as drip lines and diverting the water.

                          Brian
                          T-BACK
                        • Rosaleen Sullivan
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 8, 2006
                            Brian-

                            Another hammocker was asking about drip lines and mentioned he had a Hennessy and another hammock. Apparently, it was the non-Hennessy with which he had problems. Even with the stock fly, none of my Hennessys have leaked, with the exception of the prototype Safari. I was asking in order to see if we had a problem to solve. I'd say no.

                            Thanks for your input!

                            Rosaleen

                            From: opnheartscrub@...<mailto:opnheartscrub@...>
                            Subject: Re: Re: Re: Keeping the hammock dry...

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                              Here's the solution that I've finally settled on for keeping water from
                              running down my webbing and wetting the hammock.

                              I use strips of cloth (bandana actually which I've had success with on the
                              round ropes on my Hennessy) tied around the webbing.
                              I use hair barrettes (thin metal ones from Walmart) on top of the cloth
                              strips. This keeps the cloth in contact with the webbing, and the keeps
                              the webbing flat. It passes the water hose test as well as anything else
                              that I've tried.

                              It's lightweight, cheap, easy, no stitches, no sealer and it works.

                              Just in time - it's raining outside...

                              Michael
                            • marta_clark
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                                Cool idea, Michael. I'll have to give this a try next time I go out
                                with the hammock...since I seem to be a rain witch.

                                Marta

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                                  I was asking in order to see if we had a
                                  > problem to solve. I'd say no.
                                  > Thanks for your input!

                                  Rosaleen,

                                  I'd have to agree with you. I think the ropes shed the water much
                                  more easily.

                                  Brian
                                  T-BACK