Re: comfy like my hammock

  • ATC(AW/NAC) GREG DUFFY
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 29, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...>
      wrote:

      > Pan wrote:
      > >Any other riding hammockers out there?

      I'm a rider-backpacker ('88 HD FXSTS/Shires Tarptent). I'll be a
      riding-hammocker (hammocking-rider?) as soon as I can decide between
      the HH, Speer or making my own...

      -chiefduffy
    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 30, 2006
        Moz wrote:
        >Yeah, but we mostly ride real bikes. Motors are for wimps.
        >
        >http://moz.net.nz/image2/moz-clothesline.jpg

        Then you might like this:

        Subject: I raced a Harley today - from the BritIron list

        Wayne reports:

        I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the
        guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of canyon
        road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have
        warning signs that say "15 MPH".

        I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch
        motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and
        rider skill are
        more important than horsepower alone.

        I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could
        catch him,
        but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. three
        corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him
        would prove to be another.

        Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I
        think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he
        could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to
        him as we
        started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and
        outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this
        only made
        me more determined than ever.

        My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever
        until the last
        instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner
        after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up.
        Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would
        pass me for
        good.

        But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out
        my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was
        more than a
        full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

        Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before
        he passed
        me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind
        of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery
        and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him.
        though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the
        canyon and I had
        preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of britiron.

        I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in
        my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well.
        They really
        make a great bicycle...

        wayne
        www.mosscarpentry.com

        Matthew Takeda
        the JOAT
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 30, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...> wrote:
          > I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so
          > hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as
          > well. They really make a great bicycle...

          ...hehehe!

          The "lungs" (valve covers) that stick out on my BMW are worn so thin
          from being sanded down by the pavement when getting into coners that
          they actually seep oil.

          J.D.