Re: comfy like my hammock

  • jack_tier
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 28, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...>
      wrote:

      > Pan wrote:
      > >Any other riding hammockers out there?
      >
      > There's me, but I'm in California. Kinda for from the Keys ...
      >
      > Matthew Takeda
      > the JOAT

      There are other great destinations... when a few more riding
      hammockers fessup maybe we can find some other great rally hang out
      spots...

      Pan

    • Moz
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 29, 2006
        jack_tier said:
        >Any other riding hammockers out there?

        Yeah, but we mostly ride real bikes. Motors are for wimps.

        http://moz.net.nz/image2/moz-clothesline.jpg

        Moz
      • ATC(AW/NAC) GREG DUFFY
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 29, 2006
          wrote:

          > Pan wrote:
          > >Any other riding hammockers out there?

          I'm a rider-backpacker ('88 HD FXSTS/Shires Tarptent). I'll be a
          riding-hammocker (hammocking-rider?) as soon as I can decide between
          the HH, Speer or making my own...

          -chiefduffy
        • Matthew Takeda
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 30, 2006
            Moz wrote:
            >Yeah, but we mostly ride real bikes. Motors are for wimps.
            >
            >http://moz.net.nz/image2/moz-clothesline.jpg

            Then you might like this:

            Subject: I raced a Harley today - from the BritIron list

            Wayne reports:

            I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the
            guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of canyon
            road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have
            warning signs that say "15 MPH".

            I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch
            motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and
            rider skill are
            more important than horsepower alone.

            I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could
            catch him,
            but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. three
            corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him
            would prove to be another.

            Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I
            think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he
            could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to
            him as we
            started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and
            outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this
            only made
            me more determined than ever.

            My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever
            until the last
            instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner
            after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up.
            Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would
            pass me for
            good.

            But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out
            my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was
            more than a
            full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

            Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before
            he passed
            me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind
            of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery
            and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him.
            though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the
            canyon and I had
            preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of britiron.

            I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in
            my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well.
            They really
            make a great bicycle...

            wayne
            www.mosscarpentry.com

            Matthew Takeda
            the JOAT
          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 30, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...> wrote:
              > I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so
              > hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as
              > well. They really make a great bicycle...

              ...hehehe!

              The "lungs" (valve covers) that stick out on my BMW are worn so thin
              from being sanded down by the pavement when getting into coners that
              they actually seep oil.

              J.D.