Re: comfy like my hammock

  • Matthew Takeda
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 28, 2006
      Pan wrote:
      >Any other riding hammockers out there?

      There's me, but I'm in California. Kinda for from the Keys ...

      Matthew Takeda
      the JOAT
    • jack_tier
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 28, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...>
        wrote:

        > Pan wrote:
        > >Any other riding hammockers out there?
        >
        > There's me, but I'm in California. Kinda for from the Keys ...
        >
        > Matthew Takeda
        > the JOAT

        There are other great destinations... when a few more riding
        hammockers fessup maybe we can find some other great rally hang out
        spots...

        Pan

      • Moz
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 29, 2006
          jack_tier said:
          >Any other riding hammockers out there?

          Yeah, but we mostly ride real bikes. Motors are for wimps.

          http://moz.net.nz/image2/moz-clothesline.jpg

          Moz
        • ATC(AW/NAC) GREG DUFFY
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 29, 2006
            wrote:

            > Pan wrote:
            > >Any other riding hammockers out there?

            I'm a rider-backpacker ('88 HD FXSTS/Shires Tarptent). I'll be a
            riding-hammocker (hammocking-rider?) as soon as I can decide between
            the HH, Speer or making my own...

            -chiefduffy
          • Matthew Takeda
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 30, 2006
              Moz wrote:
              >Yeah, but we mostly ride real bikes. Motors are for wimps.
              >
              >http://moz.net.nz/image2/moz-clothesline.jpg

              Then you might like this:

              Subject: I raced a Harley today - from the BritIron list

              Wayne reports:

              I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the
              guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of canyon
              road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have
              warning signs that say "15 MPH".

              I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch
              motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and
              rider skill are
              more important than horsepower alone.

              I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could
              catch him,
              but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. three
              corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him
              would prove to be another.

              Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I
              think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he
              could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to
              him as we
              started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and
              outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this
              only made
              me more determined than ever.

              My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever
              until the last
              instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner
              after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up.
              Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would
              pass me for
              good.

              But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out
              my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was
              more than a
              full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

              Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before
              he passed
              me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind
              of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery
              and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him.
              though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the
              canyon and I had
              preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of britiron.

              I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in
              my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well.
              They really
              make a great bicycle...

              wayne
              www.mosscarpentry.com

              Matthew Takeda
              the JOAT
            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 30, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...> wrote:
                > I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so
                > hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as
                > well. They really make a great bicycle...

                ...hehehe!

                The "lungs" (valve covers) that stick out on my BMW are worn so thin
                from being sanded down by the pavement when getting into coners that
                they actually seep oil.

                J.D.