Using Velcro to secure bottom quilts

  • David B. Chamberlain
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 28, 2006
      I have not seen anyone mention using Velcro to secure a bottom quilt in place. On the Speer hammock there is Velcro to allow attachment of the bug net in summer. It seems to me that this same Velcro could be used to attach the underquilt. There would be no gaps for the wind to sneak into and the bottom quilt would stay snug. There might be some compression right at the point of connection but otherwise there should not be any problems.

      I just ordered a KickAss quilt for my HH and I am going to experiment with Velcro (either continuous or in short tabs) unless this has already been tried and found wanting.

      I hope to meet some of you at the April hang in.

      Dave Chamberlain

    • David Trent

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 29, 2006
          Just to keep the thread going regarding the ongoing saga of water running
          down the straps and soaking the hammock.
          Here's my latest "water blocker" idea for my hammock straps. It's working
          very well so far.
          I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in diameter
          each. I cut a slot in each one, and
          slid one over each hanging strap. I ran a thin bead of silicone on each
          side of the disc along both sides of the strap.
          This may not be absolutely necessary, but I wanted to rule out any
          possibility of wicking. So far they are blocking
          any water I can make run down the straps, and they weigh practically
          nothing (less than 1/2 oz total). Long term test when I get back from
          Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the idea,
          but work will be getting in the way of that).

          Michael

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 29, 2006
              Long term test when I get back
              > from
              > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
              > idea,
              > but work will be getting in the way of that).
              >
              > Michael

              Good luck with your trial. I hope you have found a solution that
              works for you. Have fun on your trip and let us know how the disks
              work.

              Brian
              T-BACK
            • Chuck Haak
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 30, 2006
                Dave Chamberlain Wrote:
                I have not seen anyone mention using Velcro to secure a bottom quilt in
                place.

                Hi Dave
                I recently made an underquilt that uses the Velcro along the sides of my
                homemade Speer. Instead of continuous Velcro on the quilt I used strips
                about 10" long spaced along the edges. I have only used it once, but it
                worked very well. I should note that I rarely use the bug net, but it would
                not be impossible to make a quilt that allows for attachment of the bug net.

                As with all underquilts, you should either make it form fitting or make it
                in a way that you can snug it up under the hammock. I made a rectangular
                quilt and ran a series of draw strings in tubes across it about 16" apart. I
                get into my hammock, adjust the drawstrings to snug the quilt under me and
                cozy in for the night. As I said, it worked very well, in fact, one night I
                was too warm in mid 30s temps. It occurred to me later that if I got too
                warm during the night, I could loosen the drawstrings to decrease the
                efficiency of the quilt. I haven't tried that though.

                Pbmoo4 in Tucson
              • J.D. Hoessle
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 30, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
                  <carterm@m...> wrote:
                  > I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in diameter
                  > each. I cut a slot in each one, and slid one over each hanging strap.
                  > I ran a thin bead of silicone on each side of the disc along both
                  > sides of the strap.
                  > Long term test when I get back from
                  > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
                  > idea, but work will be getting in the way of that).

                  Thanks Michael!

                  I like this idea....! Please let us know how the long-term test goes.

                  Thanks!

                  J.D.
                • marta_clark
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 31, 2006
                    What type of hammock straps are you working with here--the thin
                    Hennessey cords, or flat straps?

                    Marta

                    PS--There was an excellent rainstorm Saturday night in the Standing
                    Indian area.

                    <carterm@m...> wrote:

                    > Just to keep the thread going regarding the ongoing saga of water
                    running
                    > down the straps and soaking the hammock.
                    > Here's my latest "water blocker" idea for my hammock straps. It's
                    working
                    > very well so far.
                    > I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in
                    diameter
                    > each. I cut a slot in each one, and
                    > slid one over each hanging strap. I ran a thin bead of silicone
                    on each
                    > side of the disc along both sides of the strap.
                    > This may not be absolutely necessary, but I wanted to rule out any
                    > possibility of wicking. So far they are blocking
                    > any water I can make run down the straps, and they weigh
                    practically
                    > nothing (less than 1/2 oz total). Long term test when I get back
                    from
                    > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
                    idea,
                    > but work will be getting in the way of that).
                    >
                    > Michael

                  • chcoa
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Michael,

                      Please post a pic of this when you get a chance. I'm always
                      interested in this thread but I can't picture your idea. I'm a
                      visual learner, please be patient with me. :)

                      jamie

                      <carterm@...> wrote:

                      > Just to keep the thread going regarding the ongoing saga of water
                      running
                      > down the straps and soaking the hammock.
                      > Here's my latest "water blocker" idea for my hammock straps. It's
                      working
                      > very well so far.
                      > I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in
                      diameter
                      > each. I cut a slot in each one, and
                      > slid one over each hanging strap. I ran a thin bead of silicone
                      on each
                      > side of the disc along both sides of the strap.
                      > This may not be absolutely necessary, but I wanted to rule out any
                      > possibility of wicking. So far they are blocking
                      > any water I can make run down the straps, and they weigh
                      practically
                      > nothing (less than 1/2 oz total). Long term test when I get back
                      from
                      > Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the
                      idea,
                      > but work will be getting in the way of that).
                      >
                      > Michael

                    • Rosaleen Sullivan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 5, 2006
                        John, Michael, other Hennessy users-

                        Are you actually having water seep in from the hammock ends, or are you looking at preventative measures?

                        The only Hennessy with which I had water issues from the ends was the prototype Safari. It had sewn in seat belt webbing for support ropes. I added a drip line to one end and merely seam sealed the other (not with silicone sealer). Both solutions worked.

                        Rosaleen

                        From: john hill <nil_dog@...<mailto:nil_dog@...>>
                        Subject: Re: Re: Keeping the hammock dry...

                        I wonder how this would work on a Hennessey if you made your rubber disk and punched a round hole smaller than the support rope and slide it into place. Seems to me this would work pretty well. If the fit was tight enough you might not even need the silicone.

                        jh

                        carterm@...<mailto:carterm@...> wrote:
                        Hi Marta,

                        I'm using them on Ed's 1" webbing, on a homemade Speer type hammock.
                        I had good luck with the bandana trick you showed me with the Hennessy ropes.
                        (Worked fine for TS Cindy). Standing Indian is a good place to test the "water blockers" for sure.
                        I'm planning another trip there in a few weeks. I have a friend that wants to go, and I'm working on getting his interest up on hammocking.

                        Michael

                      • Michael B. Carter
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 5, 2006
                          Hi Rosaleen,

                          I use both a Hennessy Ultralight Explorer Asym and various home made Speer
                          type hammocks. With the Hennessy, which uses round ropes, I've had great
                          results just tying strips of bandana around the ropes to divert the
                          water. Marta showed me this trick during tropical storm Cindy last year,
                          and no water got past them at all. I don't like the tree hugger
                          straps/rope combination on the Hennessy, so I'm using flat webbing straps
                          on my Speer type hammock. I have a hard time tying the bandana strips to
                          the flat webbing such that I can "guarantee" no water gets past the
                          blocking strips. The webbing tries to roll up, and if it does so even very
                          slightly, a gap forms between the strap and the block, and my backyard
                          tests with a garden hose show that water will get through.

                          So my efforts are for the webbing, which I happen to like better than the
                          Hennessy setup. One idea that I'm playing with is to put something round
                          (like a short length of dowel or plastic rod) in the strap and tie the
                          water blocking strip around both the strap and the dowel. If the dowel is
                          sized just right, the webbing will completely wrap until it touches itself
                          w/o overlap. Then the bandana trick should work. I haven't tried this yet
                          - just playing with different ideas in my head. So far the rubber discs
                          are working, although I proved yesterday that the silicone sealer is required.

                          Michael

                        • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
                            > John, Michael, other Hennessy users-
                            >
                            > Are you actually having water seep in from the hammock ends, or
                            > are you looking at preventative measures?

                            Rosaleen,

                            I have never had a leak into my HH. I've never used drip lines but I
                            don't use the stock tarp support hooks for my tarp attachment. Maybe
                            these are acting as drip lines and diverting the water.

                            Brian
                            T-BACK
                          • Rosaleen Sullivan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 8, 2006
                              Brian-

                              Another hammocker was asking about drip lines and mentioned he had a Hennessy and another hammock. Apparently, it was the non-Hennessy with which he had problems. Even with the stock fly, none of my Hennessys have leaked, with the exception of the prototype Safari. I was asking in order to see if we had a problem to solve. I'd say no.

                              Thanks for your input!

                              Rosaleen

                              From: opnheartscrub@...<mailto:opnheartscrub@...>
                              Subject: Re: Re: Re: Keeping the hammock dry...

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                                Here's the solution that I've finally settled on for keeping water from
                                running down my webbing and wetting the hammock.

                                I use strips of cloth (bandana actually which I've had success with on the
                                round ropes on my Hennessy) tied around the webbing.
                                I use hair barrettes (thin metal ones from Walmart) on top of the cloth
                                strips. This keeps the cloth in contact with the webbing, and the keeps
                                the webbing flat. It passes the water hose test as well as anything else
                                that I've tried.

                                It's lightweight, cheap, easy, no stitches, no sealer and it works.

                                Just in time - it's raining outside...

                                Michael
                              • marta_clark
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                                  Cool idea, Michael. I'll have to give this a try next time I go out
                                  with the hammock...since I seem to be a rain witch.

                                  Marta

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 11, 2006
                                    From: Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...>
                                    I was asking in order to see if we had a
                                    > problem to solve. I'd say no.
                                    > Thanks for your input!

                                    Rosaleen,

                                    I'd have to agree with you. I think the ropes shed the water much
                                    more easily.

                                    Brian
                                    T-BACK