winter warmth theory

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2006
      deb... my understanding is that air that`s free to circulate (even
      though it`s enclosed like in a tent or hard top) is going be colder
      than air that is traped in a smaller space (clothing) closer to the
      body. but it will be warmer than the outside temps because of the
      nylon wall & it has a heat source (person) inside. so as i`ve
      listened w/ great interrest, i`m thinking a system that would provide
      more warmth w/ less weight would be a layer of protective material
      laying directly on the person`s quilt from chest area to the
      attachment point at the foot of the hammock. that part could use a
      zipper, & could possibly be attached to the top of a speer type
      hammock by the velcro. from the chest up, a hard top like yall have
      been talking about (suspended by ridgeline) would help alow for breath
      moister management. the hard top part over the head area could be
      attached to the hammock & the flat cover over the lower part by
      velcro. it would not only be attached on each side of it`s a-frame
      shape, but also enclosed across the chest area as it comes down from
      the ridge line (like the end of a tent). what cha think? ...tim
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2006
        uhhh. i would have said all that same stuff dave said sept i aint
        have my second cup of coffee yet :~) ...tim
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>
          wrote:
          > what cha think? ...tim

          I think there should be a space between the sleeping bag and the cover.

          Same principle as loft in a quilt, only with no insulation to stop the
          convection as effectively. However, the cover will greatly reduce the
          amount of convection directly affecting the top of the quilt, thereby
          making the user warmer.

          At least that's how I think a Garlington Taco works - providing
          a "less disturbed" pocket of air below the hammock to reduce the
          amount of convection. Seems like a hard top would work the same way,
          except for more humidity issues like Dave discussed.

          Jeff
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2006
            wrote:

            > uhhh. i would have said all that same stuff dave said sept i aint
            > have my second cup of coffee yet :~) ...tim

            Haha. I would have said it 'cept I ain't that smart! ;p