Re: Winter Snow Protection - Bug Net?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2006
      I've had the same experience with bugnets on hammocks where
      condensation collected, and if it was cold enough it was frozen. I've
      also had experiences where the bugnet came in handy as it significantly
      reduced the effects of pesky cold winds. We all know that conditions
      are not always the same when we camp outdoors, but sometimes we seem to
      forget that and expect out gear or setups to just appropriate handle
      whatever conditions we are in. Something as simple as the wind blowing
      or not can drastically affect the performance or suitability of
      particular gear or a particular setup, particularly in terms of
      condensation issues or the wind robbing you of your warmth. On gear
      that has the flexibility to adjust for conditions, sometimes we set it
      up correctly and in the middle of the night the conditions change...
      whether we make adjustments in the middle of the night often comes down
      to how much trouble it is to make adjustments and whether we fell that
      it is worth the trouble or not.

      Usually the things effecting condensation not are black or white, but
      rather different shades of grey. In those cases it is not as critical
      what you do. However, that is not always the case and it is helpful to
      have some understanding of how various gear or setups can be adjusted
      (or not) to better accommodate different conditions.

      Youngblood