Re: [Hammock Camping] Winter Hammock fabrics

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
      if youv`e not got anything evil to say about jeff, you may as well go back to lurking:~) BTW... i forgot to tell this group that one of the high-lights for me at springer mt was to meet seuss & hear in person the story about how he used a slice of his own thumb to distract a bear that began to chase him & then seuss ran away from camp, in order not to lead the bear into camp & endanger the other hammockers! he suggested there could be a less dramatic version of the story, but i lkie that one. i hope yall appreciate what seuss did for his fellow hammockers! ...tim

      seuss910 <wrv77@...> wrote: Uh...yeah. For cold weather camping I replace the noseeum netting
      with with a piece of uncoated 3/4 oz. ripstop with the same diamond
      shape and velcro on the sides. I've sewn a little bugnet window
      (triangular, about 4"x8") roughly over where my head is for
      ventilation, but the fabric is so porous I don't know that it's
      necessary. It's never really been out in the blowing and drifting
      snow so I don't know how well it would protect against spindrift.
      With the sides of the hammock spread apart with a 3-4 foot stick and
      the "hardtop" over a ridgeline, it's like a cozy little tent under
      the fly with temps a good 15 degrees warmer (at least) than outside.
      Nice and cozy for reading a chapter or two before sack time and I've
      never had any issues with condensation come morning.

      Can I go back to lurking now? I've really got nothing evil to say
      about Jeff.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, karens62@a... wrote:

      > You could always use Seuss's method where he replaced the bugnet
      with a nylon cover and a little window of bug netting so he can still
      see out. Seuss, you can probably describe it better - stop lurking
      and chime in :)

      > Karen

      tim garner

    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@y...> wrote:
        > Uh...yeah. For cold weather camping I replace the noseeum netting
        > with with a piece of uncoated 3/4 oz. ripstop with the same diamond
        > shape and velcro on the sides. I've sewn a little bugnet window
        > (triangular, about 4"x8") roughly over where my head is for
        > ventilation, but the fabric is so porous I don't know that it's
        > necessary.

        Now, that is cool! Somehow, I have missed seeing/hearing about this
        idea/concept before...
        > the "hardtop" over a ridgeline, it's like a cozy little tent under
        > the fly with temps a good 15 degrees warmer (at least) than outside.
        > Nice and cozy for reading a chapter or two before sack time and I've
        > never had any issues with condensation come morning.
        And, it gets better! No condensation! Condensation, dew, wind-blown
        rain/snow, some additonal warmth. The *only* draw back is the lack of
        a full view; but, it's always dark when I crawl in and dark when I get
        up and struggle to find coffee.

        Are there pics...? I will go searching...

        Thanks!

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.