Double bottom hammocks and shells

    Message 1 of 11 , May 2 6:42 AM
      Hi Coy,

      You have hit the nail on the head.

      Ray's insulator and the double bottom hammock as I built it are
      different and meant to be so.

      Ray's insulator (and all the taco shell derivatives) are relatively
      loosely hanging under the hammock to allow use of leaves or air bags
      or clothing or packs or space blankets under the hammock. This is
      really not too far away from the idea of an underquilt that some of
      us have experimented and Ed's pea pod under and over bag.

      I had some difficulty with the underslung insulation which I did not
      have with the pad in the hammock. I found the insulation, if not
      against me, tended to get wind or convection currents going which
      robbed me of warmth. I wanted the equivalent of a pad against my
      skin so there was no room for cold air to get in.

      However, I find several of the pads uncomfortable because they are
      sticky to my skin and tend to bunch up and move around a lot when I
      toss and turn. I especially do not like the inch wide radial folds
      that form in the Target pad half way through the night, poking me in
      the side.

      So, when someone mentioned the double bottom, and I remembered
      reading about this type of bottom on the Crazy Creek H, I decided to
      give it a try. I worried for a moment that the two hammock pieces
      would compress the insulation into nothing, and then remembered that
      I was already sleeping with all my weight on the pad anyway...

      My observation from a couple nights sleeping on this system is that I
      can move around easier; moving around does not move the pad and
      uncomfortable folds do not form in the edges of the pad, the
      insulation is against my skin (except for a single layer of cloth)
      and this keeps me warm.

      I do look forward to reading the results of the double 1.1 oz hammock
      in these reports. I will build a double 1.9 oz hammock because I
      already have the material coming.

      I have done a couple calculations. If one builds a double 1.1 oz
      hammock but makes the hammock 48 inches wide, it will be 93 percent
      of the weight of a standard 60 inch wide 1.9oz hammock.

      BTW, I did take some pics last night with my son in the hammock, but
      the connection with the computer is on the fritz... Soon will come
      the pics, I promise.

      Message 2 of 11 , May 2 6:45 AM
        Bear wrote:

        > The tight double bottom is only for holding your pad in
        > place, when a pad is needed. The Garlington shell is for
        > fluffy, underquilt type material, and is only needed in cold
        > weather.

        And thank God we don't have to go testing that stuff for a few months
        now! I look forward to doing some camping without the white covering
        all over the ground!

        Rick
      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2 6:45 AM
          Coy:

          I've used Nomad Travel Tropical hammocks for along time.
          They're doubled, and you're right about how tight they are.

          But they're ideal for holding your pad in place. I also
          think the doubledness makes it possible to use thinner
          material.

          I think the answer to a general purpose all-season hammock
          will have to have BOTH a tight double bottom and a looser,
          detachable Garlington shell.

          The tight double bottom is only for holding your pad in
          place, when a pad is needed. The Garlington shell is for
          fluffy, underquilt type material, and is only needed in cold
          weather.

          My opinion, totally unsupported by actual experience.

          Bear
        • David Chinell
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2 6:57 AM
            Coy:

            And furthermore...

            I've had the best cold-weather success with a double layer
            hammock and a Speer Pea Pod. I think I'm going to try the
            Garlington shell next winter as a method for attaching an
            underquilt, and use a smaller, thinner quilt on top. Same
            idea as the Pea Pod, but just not a wrap-around.

            Bear
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2 6:58 AM
              I gotta try a "pea pod" next winter! Experiments with narrower
              hammocks might decrease the empty space in the bag, making it more
              efficient (and lighter to boot!)