hammock knots

  • LHM
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2006
      Sorry, I didn't understand the question, let alone the answers here
      ... which of the many knots in this cat's-cradle is the Hammock
      Knot? The one tied in the fabric, the one tied in the support line
      connecting to it, the end tied to the webbing (or the post, car
      bumper, etc.)?

      Lou
    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2006
        Hey, Lou, sorry for leaving you in the dust. People are talking about
        attaching the hammock body to the hammock support rope. So for me,
        with a slipped double sheet bend, I fold/bundle the fabric, put the
        bend in it, and then do the through around around through with the rope.

        Lately, attaching to the tree I think I'm using the four wrap method
        with a knot at the end, like shown on Risk's website.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, LHM <lhm@r...> wrote:

        > Sorry, I didn't understand the question, let alone the answers here
        > ... which of the many knots in this cat's-cradle is the Hammock
        > Knot? The one tied in the fabric, the one tied in the support line
        > connecting to it, the end tied to the webbing (or the post, car
        > bumper, etc.)?
        >
        > Lou

      • jonas4321
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2006
          <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

          > Hey, Lou, sorry for leaving you in the dust. People are talking about
          > attaching the hammock body to the hammock support rope. So for me,
          > with a slipped double sheet bend, I fold/bundle the fabric, put the
          > bend in it, and then do the through around around through with the rope.

          I have also become enamored with the slipped double sheet bend, but
          have taken it one step further- I create a "hammock hugger" with a
          3.5' piece of 1" polypro webbing, doubled over, then tie that to the
          hammock fabric in a slipped double sheet bend (like Bill describes
          above). This leaves a loop of webbing at the ends of my hammock and I
          am free to use whatever rope I want between the loop and the tree
          hugger. I currently am using 4mm Spectra-core that has a breaking
          strength of something above 900lbs, and there is no stretch worth
          worrying about (0.2%?). This combination treats the tree and my
          hammock fabric very gently, and lets me setup the sag without guessing
          what the stretch will be. The slipped double sheet bend makes
          disassembling the hammock a breeze (for washing, adjusting the sides,
          etc.).

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2006
            Very elegant. Probably works as a drip stopper also if it was a little
            shorter?

            Ralph

            On 1/26/06, jonas4321 <jonas4321@...> wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
            > <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey, Lou, sorry for leaving you in the dust. People are talking about
            > > attaching the hammock body to the hammock support rope. So for me,
            > > with a slipped double sheet bend, I fold/bundle the fabric, put the
            > > bend in it, and then do the through around around through with the rope.
            > >

            > I have also become enamored with the slipped double sheet bend, but
            > have taken it one step further- I create a "hammock hugger" with a
            > 3.5' piece of 1" polypro webbing, doubled over, then tie that to the
            > hammock fabric in a slipped double sheet bend (like Bill describes
            > above). This leaves a loop of webbing at the ends of my hammock and I
            > am free to use whatever rope I want between the loop and the tree
            > hugger. I currently am using 4mm Spectra-core that has a breaking
            > strength of something above 900lbs, and there is no stretch worth
            > worrying about (0.2%?). This combination treats the tree and my
            > hammock fabric very gently, and lets me setup the sag without guessing
            > what the stretch will be. The slipped double sheet bend makes
            > disassembling the hammock a breeze (for washing, adjusting the sides,
            > etc.).

          • LHM
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 26, 2006
              Okay, thanks, it makes sense now :)