Hammock triumphs over hoard of tent campers!!!

  • David Wills
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2006
      This past friday, i went camping with about 8 or nine buddies next to
      the chatooga river. i in my hammock and Mirage style over/underquilt,
      the rest in tents ranging from ozark trail to REI brand. It began to
      rain at midnight and we all retreated to shelter. I had to be woken up
      at noon to get ready to go because everyone else had already been awake
      from wet clothes and sleeping bags, crammped tents, and the hard
      ground. The only person of the 8 on the ground that was dry was my
      buddy pat, and only because the water moving downhill was soaked up by
      his girlfriends sleeping bag before it got to his(got to bring them
      along for something). Need less to say, between 8 wet, cold people,
      and 1 holy thermarest, I got a few dirty looks, and an amazing night
      sleep. I was also the first one packed and ready to go. It was the
      most convincing display of hammock superiority I have ever experience
      first hand. Take that ground dwellers!!!

      - David with no trailname
    • rob dawson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2006
        good on ye!

        bet you just converted several ppl to the glories of hammocking

        What is the mirage style quilt of which you speak,,, i do not follow the
        list as much as i should and have missed out on that piece of gear.

        thanks

        robi

        On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:50:30 +0100, David Wills
        <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

        > This past friday, i went camping with about 8 or nine buddies next to
        > the chatooga river. i in my hammock and Mirage style over/underquilt,
        > the rest in tents ranging from ozark trail to REI brand. It began to
        > rain at midnight and we all retreated to shelter. I had to be woken up
        > at noon to get ready to go because everyone else had already been awake
        > from wet clothes and sleeping bags, crammped tents, and the hard
        > ground. The only person of the 8 on the ground that was dry was my
        > buddy pat, and only because the water moving downhill was soaked up by
        > his girlfriends sleeping bag before it got to his(got to bring them
        > along for something). Need less to say, between 8 wet, cold people,
        > and 1 holy thermarest, I got a few dirty looks, and an amazing night
        > sleep. I was also the first one packed and ready to go. It was the
        > most convincing display of hammock superiority I have ever experience
        > first hand. Take that ground dwellers!!!
        >
        > - David with no trailname

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 25, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rob dawson" <beanco@m...>
          wrote:
          > What is the mirage style quilt

          http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/Under-Over-Quilt/index.html
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 25, 2006
            Bear with me folks, I'm stuck on this bug net quest. Now in these
            pics it looks like Shane (Mirage) just has the bug net dangling on
            both sides. I know he says he didn't have time to do it right because
            of the camara but what would right be?

            With Rick's set up he looks completely enclosed in the net, at least
            in the one where he has shoes weighting it down under the hammock.
            But in Shane's pics it looks like he's just planning to drape it over
            on both sides. Wouldn't bugs get in? I'm sure I'm missing something
            here. :)

            jamie in AZ

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 26, 2006

              > Bear with me folks, I'm stuck on this bug net quest. Now in these
              > pics it looks like Shane (Mirage) just has the bug net dangling on
              > both sides. I know he says he didn't have time to do it right
              because
              > of the camara but what would right be?

              Both, I think. If it's just flopped over (like Risk's flop-over net
              that's only sewn on one side), most bugs aren't smart enough to come
              under the net, over the hammock, to get to the goodies inside. In
              very buggy environments it might not work as well as a fully
              enclosed one...depends on what you need.

              Also, if you're using an underquilt you can tuck the bugnet between
              the hammock and underquilt for a good seal.

              Mirage also has a bugnet with shockcord around the bottom that
              cinches tight. Click here and check the "Bugnet Detail" pics.
              http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem/index.htm
            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 26, 2006
                Thank you. These were very helpful. Good job Shane on your pics.

                jamie