Single Pole Hammocking

  • Moe T. Crow
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 25, 2006
      For those of you who have done this amazing feat of single pole
      hammocking, what all have you used either successfully or as a dismal
      failure? How tall does this need to be?

      I really am interested in this not so much for backpacking (i hike
      with a gazillion trees around) but more for motorcycle touring. Since
      you can usualy find at least one object, and i figure i can always use
      the bike as the root/bumper side, i just need to know where to start
      for my "temporary tree". The plus to this is that weight really isn't
      that important. the minus is that packability is VERY important.

      Worked:
      Risk: 4x4 post with a groove in the top

      Failed:
      Matthew T: Hiking pole

      Thanks!
      --
      "People wonder why I ride so much. Each morning I get to decide if I
      want to live the mundane life, or change the mundane to an adventure.
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 25, 2006
        I have used a 4x4 post with a notch and a piece of cardboard in the
        notch so the very small diametere rope I have on the HH I use didn't
        cut into the soft wood.

        It's about 5 ft tall I think. Worked great. This sounds like it's
        a bit too long for a bike though. If you don't mind hanging lower,
        perhaps a 4 fter would work.

        jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Moe T. Crow" <moetcrow@g...>

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 26, 2006
          I have been thinking about the motorcycle side of this for a little
          while Moe. I don't have any good answers yet. I do know that with a
          400-500 pound bike, tying the hammock rope to the bike is just about
          impossible. Even tied on to the back of the sissy bar and the bike on
          its center stand does not give enough resistance. (This is probably
          only about 150-200 pounds of resistance available.

          Using the bike's seat as the pole is possible, I suppose, if a tree can
          be found within about 20-25 feet of a second tree.

          By the way, I had a failure of the single pole method which was quite
          humiliating at one of our hammock group get togethers at Rainbow
          Springs. The system geometry is VERY important.

          Rick

          Moe T. Crow wrote:
          > For those of you who have done this amazing feat of single pole
          > hammocking, what all have you used either successfully or as a dismal
          > failure? How tall does this need to be?
          >
          > I really am interested in this not so much for backpacking (i hike
          > with a gazillion trees around) but more for motorcycle touring. Since
          > you can usualy find at least one object, and i figure i can always use
          > the bike as the root/bumper side, i just need to know where to start
          > for my "temporary tree". The plus to this is that weight really isn't
          > that important. the minus is that packability is VERY important.
          >
          > Worked:
          > Risk: 4x4 post with a groove in the top
          >
          > Failed:
          > Matthew T: Hiking pole

        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 26, 2006
            The motorcycle could be useful as an anchor for the one-pole method.
            But I would definitely want to use two poles ;-) If you tie off to the
            bottom of the kickstand and put the hammock on the right-hand side of
            the bike, it should hold pretty well, huh? I would definitely want to
            run some tests with a friend before I committed my paint job.

            There are lots of light possibilities for the poles, but I think that
            the light options are also the bulky options. If you were towing a
            trailer, you could use it for the pole...

            > I have been thinking about the motorcycle side of this for a little
            > while Moe.
            > Using the bike's seat as the pole is possible, I suppose,
          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 26, 2006
              My dad and uncle travel with motorcycle trailers for work, so I gave
              my uncle a two-layer hammock to tie at a diagonal between the
              trailer's uprights. Dunno if he's used it yet or not...guess I should
              find out.

              Jeff
            • Moe T. Crow
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 26, 2006
                for geometry, i am thinking that the bike would be inline with the
                hammock, and tie the rope to the back tire (or in my case a trailer
                hitch). I have a large crusier (about 750 lbs empty) and if need be i
                could leave the bike in gear. i wouldn't think my 150lb frame would be
                able to drag it too far. I may play with some older tent poles to see
                if i can perhaps make something. I am thinking a 2 pole method might
                be more stable than the one pole...

                Thanks all for the answers so far.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 26, 2006

                  > My dad and uncle travel with motorcycle trailers for work, so I gave
                  > my uncle a two-layer hammock to tie at a diagonal between the
                  > trailer's uprights. Dunno if he's used it yet or not...guess I
                  should
                  > find out.
                  >
                  > Jeff

                  I travelled 9600 mile to the Great SW and back last year by motor
                  cycle and hammocked 14 nights... Just camp where the trees are...
                  lakes, rivers etc...Think of hammocking on a cycle as hammocking when
                  hiking... stop where the trees are , not on a bald... best part of a
                  small hammock and tarp is that they work well on the limited space of
                  the cycle... I would not want my motorcycle to be part of the set up
                  up...too valuable to be pulled over or have the rope wear on paint or
                  the seat leather.

                  Pan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 26, 2006
                    jack_tier wrote:
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    >>My dad and uncle travel with motorcycle trailers for work, so I gave
                    >>my uncle a two-layer hammock to tie at a diagonal between the
                    >>trailer's uprights. Dunno if he's used it yet or not...guess I
                    >
                    > should
                    >
                    >>find out.
                    >>
                    >>Jeff
                    >>

                    > I travelled 9600 mile to the Great SW and back last year by motor
                    > cycle and hammocked 14 nights... Just camp where the trees are...
                    > lakes, rivers etc...Think of hammocking on a cycle as hammocking when
                    > hiking... stop where the trees are , not on a bald... best part of a
                    > small hammock and tarp is that they work well on the limited space of
                    > the cycle... I would not want my motorcycle to be part of the set up
                    > up...too valuable to be pulled over or have the rope wear on paint or
                    > the seat leather.
                    >
                    > Pan

                    What bike did you ride Pan?

                    Rick
                  • jack_tier
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 27, 2006

                      > > I travelled 9600 mile to the Great SW and back last year by
                      motor
                      > > cycle and hammocked 14 nights... Just camp where the trees
                      are...
                      > > lakes, rivers etc...Think of hammocking on a cycle as hammocking
                      when
                      > > hiking... stop where the trees are , not on a bald... best part
                      of a
                      > > small hammock and tarp is that they work well on the limited
                      space of
                      > > the cycle... I would not want my motorcycle to be part of the
                      set up
                      > > up...too valuable to be pulled over or have the rope wear on
                      paint or
                      > > the seat leather.
                      > >
                      > > Pan
                      > >
                      > What bike did you ride Pan?
                      >
                      > Rick

                      BMW K1200LTC....nice ride... comfy, like my hammock...Next ride
                      should take me over 100,000 Beemer miles... :-)

                      Pan

                    • J.D. Hoessle
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 27, 2006
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...> wrote:
                        > BMW K1200LTC....nice ride... comfy, like my hammock...Next ride
                        > should take me over 100,000 Beemer miles... :-)

                        Cool!

                        BMW R90/6 - Purchased 1976 - over 200K now. Haven't been on a long
                        road trip for some time 'cause my SkyDog hates the noise...<g>...
                        But, she loves the hammock!

                        Happy Trails,

                        J.D.
                      • jack_tier
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 27, 2006
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                          wrote:

                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
                          wrote:
                          > > BMW K1200LTC....nice ride... comfy, like my hammock...Next ride
                          > > should take me over 100,000 Beemer miles... :-)
                          >
                          > Cool!
                          >
                          > BMW R90/6 - Purchased 1976 - over 200K now. Haven't been on a long
                          > road trip for some time 'cause my SkyDog hates the noise...<g>...
                          > But, she loves the hammock!
                          >
                          > Happy Trails,
                          >
                          > J.D.

                          J.D. sounds like a nice ride... maybe there are enough riders and
                          hammocker for a ride in and hang out some where neat.... the
                          campground at mile marker 47 of the Keys was sold this year or I
                          suggest it...Any other riding hammockers out there?

                          Pan
                        • Matthew Takeda
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 28, 2006
                            Pan wrote:
                            >Any other riding hammockers out there?

                            There's me, but I'm in California. Kinda for from the Keys ...

                            Matthew Takeda
                            the JOAT
                          • jack_tier
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 28, 2006
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...>
                              wrote:

                              > Pan wrote:
                              > >Any other riding hammockers out there?
                              >
                              > There's me, but I'm in California. Kinda for from the Keys ...
                              >
                              > Matthew Takeda
                              > the JOAT

                              There are other great destinations... when a few more riding
                              hammockers fessup maybe we can find some other great rally hang out
                              spots...

                              Pan

                            • Moz
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 29, 2006
                                jack_tier said:
                                >Any other riding hammockers out there?

                                Yeah, but we mostly ride real bikes. Motors are for wimps.

                                http://moz.net.nz/image2/moz-clothesline.jpg

                                Moz
                              • ATC(AW/NAC) GREG DUFFY
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 29, 2006
                                  wrote:

                                  > Pan wrote:
                                  > >Any other riding hammockers out there?

                                  I'm a rider-backpacker ('88 HD FXSTS/Shires Tarptent). I'll be a
                                  riding-hammocker (hammocking-rider?) as soon as I can decide between
                                  the HH, Speer or making my own...

                                  -chiefduffy
                                • Matthew Takeda
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 30, 2006
                                    Moz wrote:
                                    >Yeah, but we mostly ride real bikes. Motors are for wimps.
                                    >
                                    >http://moz.net.nz/image2/moz-clothesline.jpg

                                    Then you might like this:

                                    Subject: I raced a Harley today - from the BritIron list

                                    Wayne reports:

                                    I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the
                                    guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of canyon
                                    road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have
                                    warning signs that say "15 MPH".

                                    I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch
                                    motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and
                                    rider skill are
                                    more important than horsepower alone.

                                    I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could
                                    catch him,
                                    but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. three
                                    corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him
                                    would prove to be another.

                                    Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I
                                    think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he
                                    could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to
                                    him as we
                                    started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and
                                    outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this
                                    only made
                                    me more determined than ever.

                                    My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever
                                    until the last
                                    instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner
                                    after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up.
                                    Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would
                                    pass me for
                                    good.

                                    But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out
                                    my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was
                                    more than a
                                    full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

                                    Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before
                                    he passed
                                    me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind
                                    of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery
                                    and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him.
                                    though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the
                                    canyon and I had
                                    preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of britiron.

                                    I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in
                                    my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well.
                                    They really
                                    make a great bicycle...

                                    wayne
                                    www.mosscarpentry.com

                                    Matthew Takeda
                                    the JOAT
                                  • J.D. Hoessle
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 30, 2006
                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...> wrote:
                                      > I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so
                                      > hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as
                                      > well. They really make a great bicycle...

                                      ...hehehe!

                                      The "lungs" (valve covers) that stick out on my BMW are worn so thin
                                      from being sanded down by the pavement when getting into coners that
                                      they actually seep oil.

                                      J.D.