Re: tree-saver webbing straps......

  • colonelcorn76
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2003
      OK how about this? Why not make the webbing tree huggers non-
      weightbearing? That would eliminate the unknown quality issues. My
      thought is that you take a two or three foot long piece of 1"
      webbing and sew a similarly sized piece of silnylon to it, creating
      a sleeve (sew on the long edges and leave open on both ends of the
      webbing). Through this sleeve you run your rope -- I'd recommend
      something like Spectra which is lightweight, small diameter, and a
      known/warranted strength (I get mine from Wests Marine--I use it
      everywhere).

      When putting your tree hugger around the tree, just keep the webbing
      side toward the bark and you get the same bark/tree protection as
      any other webbing based tree hugger but the Spectra line (which ends
      up being tied to itself) is the weight bearing component and you're
      safe from random webbing failures.

      If you're a real gram-weenie, you don't even need a full length
      silnylon sleeve--just a few pieces along the length of the webbing
      to hold the line in place when you're not tied to a tree.

      Jim

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Christina,
      > >
      > > I bought some 1 inch poly webbing at the local Dayton WalMart
      > > yesterday. Look in the fabric department near the ribbons and
      > > stuff. It seems to have been strong enough for hammock straps,
      > which
      > > would make it ok for tree huggers too. Cost is $.79 per yard.
      > >
      > > Rick
      > >

      > Rick,
      >
      > Be careful how you determine if the webbing is strong enough. If
      you
      > use it once and it didn't break, that doesn't necessarily imply
      that
      > it is strong enough to use 100 times, all that means is it didn't
      > break the last time you used it. I think the best way is to pay
      > attention to manufacturer's specifications, or barring that, go
      with
      > something that is obviously an over-kill for the application or
      > stress it once by several orders of magnitude greater than your
      > application in a way that a failure will not result in an injury
      (and
      > then, maybe not use that particular piece of material again).
      >
      > I know that Ed Speer has had both good and bad experience with
      > different webbing and has recommendations in his book about what
      > tensile strengths he recommends. As a hammock user I would
      suggest a
      > little caution in recommending weight bearing material for use in
      > hammock.
      >
      > Sorry to act like a wet blanket, I really appreciate your
      enthusiasm
      > and willingness to share your ideas, but being an older guy with
      an
      > analytical background, I felt like I needed to put that out there.
      >
      > Youngblood
    • Matt Pulsts
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2003
        true. there is  stretch involved in the nylon webbing. I wouldnt worry too much about it.  Also, there are "spectra" slings which work extremely well.  I just happened to be cleaning my gear closet right before I read this and saw my collection of slings.  Brain fart about not differentiating amongst them.

        Just an idea if you cant find poly...