another jeff attack

    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 23, 2006
      jeff... you don`t need to defend your-self... except that we DO want
      the newer folks to know that you ARE a great source of information. i
      (for one) appreciate your your web site & your posts. you`ve put a
      lot of work into your sharing. and it`s obvious that you learn from
      your experiance and from other`s experiance. your not afraid to try
      something new. that`s the mother of improvement. i don`t understand
      what drives some people to get so bent out of shape... & i`m not going
      to waste my time trying... especialy tonight. i hear my hammock
      calling. ...good night johnboy
    • iobstce
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 23, 2006
        Do you know what Sophistry is? You've just engaged in it. Perhaps
        tothewoods is too much of an 'authority' on hammock camping to defend
        himself. Just because you have made the assertion that tothewoods is
        a 'great source of information' doesn't mean that it is so. Anybody
        can throw up a website 'borrowing' from the rest of the Internet to
        make themselves look authoritative. If others have to convince the
        newcomers on the list that tothewoods' site is a "great source of
        information" than his website has failed in its un-stated
        purpose--believability. No I wouldn't 'waste my time trying tonight"
        either as your assertions lack validity and soundness. I'll probably
        be flamed by other fascists as I am not socially correct. If this
        list is not for the furtherment of a dialectic than it is merely a
        gossip corner--not unlike Kampfire.
        CEHI

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...> wrote:

        > jeff... you don`t need to defend your-self... except that we DO want
        > the newer folks to know that you ARE a great source of information. i
        > (for one) appreciate your your web site & your posts. you`ve put a
        > lot of work into your sharing. and it`s obvious that you learn from
        > your experiance and from other`s experiance. your not afraid to try
        > something new. that`s the mother of improvement. i don`t understand
        > what drives some people to get so bent out of shape... & i`m not going
        > to waste my time trying... especialy tonight. i hear my hammock
        > calling. ...good night johnboy

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 23, 2006
          Guys, this is tiring
          I for one would like to see it end.

          Ralph

        • iobstce
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 24, 2006
            Then do not engage in it and it will end for you. I would say something
            about big dogs and porches but someone's feelings might get hurt.
            CEHI

            > Guys, this is tiring
            > I for one would like to see it end.
            >
            > Ralph

          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 24, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...> wrote:
              > jeff... you don`t need to defend your-self... except that we DO want
              > the newer folks to know that you ARE a great source of information. i
              > (for one) appreciate your your web site & your posts. you`ve put a
              > lot of work into your sharing.

              Tim, Thank You.

              Jeff, Thank You.

              I saw that posting last night and my jaw dropped.... Tim says it best
              above: "your sharing".

              For over a year, I have been folowing here and participating with my
              paltry two cents and wise cracks. This is the first "attack" I have
              seen. Even tho' my blood is boiling, I will try to just ingore all of
              this.

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • marta_clark
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 24, 2006
                I am shocked and saddened by this unprovoked attack on Jeff. Jeff IS
                an authority on hammocking, if such a thing can be said to exist.
                (Can the SEHHA become a governing body of the sport?) Jeff has spent
                much of his free time and money experimenting and sharing the results
                of his labors with the rest of us via his website and posts on this
                list and on Whiteblaze. He never says a harsh word about anyone.
                What could possibly be your problem with him? He's a career military
                man, an officer (actually, I don't know his rank) and a gentleman. If
                you have some problem with a specific observation he has made, tell us
                what your contrary experience has been. Personal attacks are juvenile
                and counterproductive. People who indulge in them should be thrown
                off the list.
              • Paul Kaercher
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 24, 2006
                  This board IS for the furtherment of a dialectic.
                  (among other things)
                  However it is possible to disagree without being cruel.

                  iobstce's attacks on members of this board
                  reminds me of a bumper sticker I used to see
                  "Mean People Suck"

                  Life is too short to put up with mean, counterproductive
                  people if you don't have to.
                  If someone can't behave on this board, I support
                  tossing them, they're just not worth the aggravation.

                  If that makes me a fascist so be it.

                  Paul
                • Bill in Houston
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 24, 2006
                    Thank goodness. My dialectic always hurts when I sleep on the ground,
                    especially when it is cold.

                    Bill in Houston

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kaercher" <yomas_1@h...>

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 24, 2006
                      <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                      > Thank goodness. My dialectic always hurts when I sleep on the ground,
                      > especially when it is cold.

                      ROFL - Thanks, Bill!

                      Looking that word up:
                      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
                      Broadly defined, Dialectic (Greek: διαλεκτική) is an exchange of
                      propositions (theses) and counter-propositions (antitheses) resulting
                      in a synthesis of the opposing assertions, or at least a qualitative
                      transformation in the direction of the dialogue.

                      OK... I think that's how I manage to hang my hammock; e.g. a
                      "synthesis of opposing assertions" to keep my dialectic off the ground.

                      Glad that Bill has brought this back on-topic!

                      Happy Trails,

                      J.D.
                    • chcoa
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 24, 2006
                        Shouldn't the comment "great source of information" be taken as
                        opinion and thus not something really worth debating. What a huge
                        waist of time arument is on a forum like this.

                        Can we all just settle down and approach whatever question/comment
                        that sparked this as adults who have put our egos aside?

                        please??

                        jamie

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "iobstce" <iobstce@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > Do you know what Sophistry is? You've just engaged in it. Perhaps
                        > tothewoods is too much of an 'authority' on hammock camping to
                        defend
                        > himself. Just because you have made the assertion that tothewoods
                        is
                        > a 'great source of information' doesn't mean that it is so. Anybody
                        > can throw up a website 'borrowing' from the rest of the Internet to
                        > make themselves look authoritative. If others have to convince the
                        > newcomers on the list that tothewoods' site is a "great source of
                        > information" than his website has failed in its un-stated
                        > purpose--believability. No I wouldn't 'waste my time trying
                        tonight"
                        > either as your assertions lack validity and soundness. I'll
                        probably
                        > be flamed by other fascists as I am not socially correct. If this
                        > list is not for the furtherment of a dialectic than it is merely a
                        > gossip corner--not unlike Kampfire.
                        > CEHI
                        >

                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner"
                        <slowhike@y...> wrote:

                        > > jeff... you don`t need to defend your-self... except that we DO
                        want
                        > > the newer folks to know that you ARE a great source of
                        information. i
                        > > (for one) appreciate your your web site & your posts. you`ve
                        put a
                        > > lot of work into your sharing. and it`s obvious that you learn
                        from
                        > > your experiance and from other`s experiance. your not afraid to
                        try
                        > > something new. that`s the mother of improvement. i don`t
                        understand
                        > > what drives some people to get so bent out of shape... & i`m not
                        going
                        > > to waste my time trying... especialy tonight. i hear my hammock
                        > > calling. ...good night johnboy

                      • iobstce
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 25, 2006
                          I was right--another gossip forum. Evidently its much easier for the
                          masses to chew their cud & moo from time to time than attempt to
                          engage in intelligent conversations where its not what you 'know' that
                          counts but what you can learn. From time to time I need to be reminded
                          of what Epictetus said,"In theory it is easy to convince an ignorant
                          person: in actual life men not only object to offer themselves to be
                          convinced but hate the man who has convinced them. Whereas Socrates
                          used to say that we should never lead a life not subjected to
                          examination."
                          CEHI

                          > Shouldn't the comment "great source of information" be taken as
                          > opinion and thus not something really worth debating. What a huge
                          > waist of time arument is on a forum like this.
                          >
                          > Can we all just settle down and approach whatever question/comment
                          > that sparked this as adults who have put our egos aside?
                          >
                          > please??
                          >
                          > jamie
                          >

                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "iobstce" <iobstce@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Do you know what Sophistry is? You've just engaged in it. Perhaps
                          > > tothewoods is too much of an 'authority' on hammock camping to
                          > defend
                          > > himself. Just because you have made the assertion that tothewoods
                          > is
                          > > a 'great source of information' doesn't mean that it is so. Anybody
                          > > can throw up a website 'borrowing' from the rest of the Internet to
                          > > make themselves look authoritative. If others have to convince the
                          > > newcomers on the list that tothewoods' site is a "great source of
                          > > information" than his website has failed in its un-stated
                          > > purpose--believability. No I wouldn't 'waste my time trying
                          > tonight"
                          > > either as your assertions lack validity and soundness. I'll
                          > probably
                          > > be flamed by other fascists as I am not socially correct. If this
                          > > list is not for the furtherment of a dialectic than it is merely a
                          > > gossip corner--not unlike Kampfire.
                          > > CEHI
                          > >

                          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner"
                          > <slowhike@y...> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > jeff... you don`t need to defend your-self... except that we DO
                          > want
                          > > > the newer folks to know that you ARE a great source of
                          > information. i
                          > > > (for one) appreciate your your web site & your posts. you`ve
                          > put a
                          > > > lot of work into your sharing. and it`s obvious that you learn
                          > from
                          > > > your experiance and from other`s experiance. your not afraid to
                          > try
                          > > > something new. that`s the mother of improvement. i don`t
                          > understand
                          > > > what drives some people to get so bent out of shape... & i`m not
                          > going
                          > > > to waste my time trying... especialy tonight. i hear my hammock
                          > > > calling. ...good night johnboy

                        • Craig Stephanski
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 25, 2006
                            MY GOD, people!! Whether or not jeff learned this himself or is reposting from a different source(s) is irrelevant. Also, if the info on his site is accurate or not is also irrelevant. Whtat works for some may not work for others but any grown person has the ability to think for his/her self and try what is represented on said website. I don't personally know this man, but at best, he put hours into the research for himself...at worst, he went through the trouble to put the site up to begin with to offer what may already be known in one place. That's it. Either try what he has to offer or don't. I agree with the moderator, this person's (whoever cehi is) trying to bait others here with derisive posts. he should be ejected from the group.

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" wrote:

                            > Shouldn't the comment "great source of information" be taken as
                            > opinion and thus not something really worth debating. What a huge
                            > waist of time arument is on a forum like this.
                            >
                            > Can we all just settle down and approach whatever question/comment
                            > that sparked this as adults who have put our egos aside?
                            >
                            > please??
                            >
                            > jamie
                            >

                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "iobstce"
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Do you know what Sophistry is? You've just engaged in it. Perhaps
                            > > tothewoods is too much of an 'authority' on hammock camping to
                            > defend
                            > > himself. Just because you have made the assertion that tothewoods
                            > is
                            > > a 'great source of information' doesn't mean that it is so. Anybody
                            > > can throw up a website 'borrowing' from the rest of the Internet to
                            > > make themselves look authoritative. If others have to convince the
                            > > newcomers on the list that tothewoods' site is a "great source of
                            > > information" than his website has failed in its un-stated
                            > > purpose--believability. No I wouldn't 'waste my time trying
                            > tonight"
                            > > either as your assertions lack validity and soundness. I'll
                            > probably
                            > > be flamed by other fascists as I am not socially correct. If this
                            > > list is not for the furtherment of a dialectic than it is merely a
                            > > gossip corner--not unlike Kampfire.
                            > > CEHI
                            > >

                            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner"
                            > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > jeff... you don`t need to defend your-self... except that we DO
                            > want
                            > > > the newer folks to know that you ARE a great source of
                            > information. i
                            > > > (for one) appreciate your your web site & your posts. you`ve
                            > put a
                            > > > lot of work into your sharing. and it`s obvious that you learn
                            > from
                            > > > your experiance and from other`s experiance. your not afraid to
                            > try
                            > > > something new. that`s the mother of improvement. i don`t
                            > understand
                            > > > what drives some people to get so bent out of shape... & i`m not
                            > going
                            > > > to waste my time trying... especialy tonight. i hear my hammock
                            > > > calling. ...good night johnboy

                          • LHM
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 25, 2006
                              Congratulations, CEHI, you have just been added to my twit filter.

                              For those unfamiliar, IOBSTCE is a troll, see
                              http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/troll.html. The time-honored,
                              tried-and-true way to deal with trolls is to take advantage of the
                              "filtering" ability of the modern email program. In Outlook, Eudora,
                              and every other serious email program there is a means of creating an
                              automatic "rule" which will select every message with "iobstce" in
                              the header and silently transfer it to the Trash, so that we never
                              have to look at it. If nobody looks, nobody will respond, and if
                              nobody responds, the troll eventually realizes he is talking only to
                              himself.

                              In this case, iobstce is no longer able to communicate to me because
                              I am no longer listening. Bye-bye, troll. Other people who decide
                              to "twit" iobstce may choose to make similar announcements, to set
                              good examples for their peers :)

                              At 04:34 AM 1/25/2006, iobstce wrote:
                              >I was right--another gossip forum. Evidently its much easier for the
                              >masses to chew their cud & moo

                              <snip, flush>
                            • Bill in Houston
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 25, 2006
                                Ssshhh. Stop feeding him and he'll go away.

                                Bill in Houston

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                                <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                >I agree with the moderator, this person's (whoever cehi is) trying
                                to bait others here with derisive posts. he should be ejected from
                                the group.

                                > iobstce <iobstce@y...> wrote:
                                > I was right--another gossip forum. Evidently its much easier
                                for the
                                > masses to chew their cud & moo from time to time than attempt to
                                > engage in intelligent conversations where its not what you 'know'
                                that
                                > counts but what you can learn. From time to time I need to be
                                reminded
                                > of what Epictetus said,"In theory it is easy to convince an ignorant
                                > person: in actual life men not only object to offer themselves to be
                                > convinced but hate the man who has convinced them. Whereas Socrates
                                > used to say that we should never lead a life not subjected to
                                > examination."
                                > CEHI
                              • Ralph Oborn
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 25, 2006
                                  On 1/25/06, Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:

                                  > Ssshhh. Stop feeding him and he'll go away.
                                  >
                                  > Bill in Houston

                                  Hey lets talk hammocks!

                                  What's the best hammock knot?
                                  I like the double sheetbend (with all due respect to Rick).

                                  Ralph

                                • Bill in Houston
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 25, 2006
                                    I use a slipped double sheet bend, in case I ever want to take it apart
                                    for some reason.

                                    Bill in Houston

                                    > Hey lets talk hammocks!
                                    >
                                    > What's the best hammock knot?
                                    > I like the double sheetbend (with all due respect to Rick).
                                    >

                                    > Ralph
                                  • jwj32542
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 25, 2006
                                      <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                                      > I use a slipped double sheet bend, in case I ever want to take it
                                      apart
                                      > for some reason.

                                      I whip it for that reason. Whip it good.

                                      Then just sew a loop in the webbing and run the free end through the
                                      loop to make a slipknot.
                                    • David Wills
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 25, 2006
                                        "Whtat works for some may not work for others but any grown person
                                        has the ability to think for his/her self and try what is represented
                                        on said website."

                                        Amen to that. 2 Fridays ago, I went on a trip during the snowstorm
                                        around Standing Indian NC. I was wearing my Soloman Tech Amphibian
                                        water shoes for the trip, and my friend asked if it would be ok to
                                        wear his crocs instead of steel toed boots. I thought it would be
                                        fine (forgot about the snow :)) and advised him to go for it. His
                                        feet got soaking wet like mine, which wasn't too bad because of extra
                                        socks (at least for the night), but he fell down about 30 times in
                                        the 9 mile total hike because of the lack of traction. He also
                                        couldn't feel his feet at the end of the hike saturday afternoon,
                                        although my soaking feet were fine. A valuable lesson learned: don't
                                        give advice to people who you will have to see again, and everyone
                                        needs to have a disasterous trip before they can really enjoy
                                        backpacking (that's what I told him anyway).
                                        Concerning hammocks, He wanted to try out his new HH Ultralight
                                        Backpacker, but it got too cold (15* or so, maybe lower). The trip
                                        was a success for everyone except him.

                                        Thanks, and be nice - David with no trailname
                                      • Ralph Oborn
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 25, 2006
                                          Anybody have the whipping slide off?
                                          Ralph (concerned)

                                        • jwj32542
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 25, 2006

                                            > Anybody have the whipping slide off?

                                            With the self-tightening knot that I use, I just make sure the knot is
                                            at 1/2" or so from the whipping on the side away from the tree, so the
                                            support would have to slide over the whipping in order to fail. When
                                            weighted, the tension on the support keeps it from sliding, so the
                                            whipping is never stressed in a way that it could slide off.

                                            The whipping is completely separate from the hammock supports in this
                                            system, in case that wasn't clear.

                                            Jeff
                                          • iobstce
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 25, 2006
                                              You sir are a truly closed-minded individual. Enjoy your solitude &
                                              safety from Reality. By the way. You are allowed to 'kiss my grits.'
                                              Have a happy ignorant day.

                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, LHM <lhm@r...> wrote:

                                              > Congratulations, CEHI, you have just been added to my twit filter.
                                              >
                                              > For those unfamiliar, IOBSTCE is a troll, see
                                              > http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/troll.html. The time-honored,
                                              > tried-and-true way to deal with trolls is to take advantage of the
                                              > "filtering" ability of the modern email program. In Outlook, Eudora,
                                              > and every other serious email program there is a means of creating an
                                              > automatic "rule" which will select every message with "iobstce" in
                                              > the header and silently transfer it to the Trash, so that we never
                                              > have to look at it. If nobody looks, nobody will respond, and if
                                              > nobody responds, the troll eventually realizes he is talking only to
                                              > himself.
                                              >
                                              > In this case, iobstce is no longer able to communicate to me because
                                              > I am no longer listening. Bye-bye, troll. Other people who decide
                                              > to "twit" iobstce may choose to make similar announcements, to set
                                              > good examples for their peers :)
                                              >
                                              > At 04:34 AM 1/25/2006, iobstce wrote:
                                              > >I was right--another gossip forum. Evidently its much easier for the
                                              > >masses to chew their cud & moo
                                              >
                                              > <snip, flush>

                                            • chcoa
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 25, 2006
                                                From time to time I need to be reminded of Romans 12:3 For by the
                                                grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself
                                                more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober
                                                judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

                                                Let's get back to hammocking stuff please. We are ALL intelligent
                                                people here with valuable input to share, questions to ask and
                                                lessons to be learned. I find this cockfighting disruptive to the
                                                whole process.

                                                Jamie in AZ

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 26, 2006
                                                  Dittos on Jeff's approach. It is light, easy, easy to clean, easy to
                                                  inspect.

                                                  Risk

                                                • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jan 26, 2006
                                                    From: Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...>
                                                    Date: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 2:50 pm
                                                    Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] hammock knots (was tim attack)

                                                    > Anybody have the whipping slide off?
                                                    > Ralph (concerned)

                                                    I'm 6'4" and 250#s. My whipped ends (and the hammocks') have held up
                                                    fine with no slipping.

                                                    Brian
                                                    T-BACK