Savage Gulf trip

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2006
      Just a quick trip report. I met Dave and Wayne at the SGRS at 9 AM on Thur. we were soon
      on our way. the first day was an easy 9 fairly flat miles. It was hard to decide what to
      wear because when we were on the bluffs the wind was cool, especially if we had just
      hiked up a few small hills out of the wind and were sweaty. We made Hobbs Cabin at
      around 4 PM and had time to set up camp and cook before dark. we visited the cabin and
      three other hikers a little while before turning in. the winds were really stong but we all
      just left our tarps off. The wind died down about midnight and it only droped to 41 F. I
      liked the looks of the neat sheet top cover Wayne made for his HH. I bet he didn't notice
      the wind much. Dave loaned me his DAM and I first put it in my homemade hammock but
      my hammock does not have high sides so I was a little worried I might fall out. I carried
      my modified HH so I set it up. the pad worked fantastic. I got up at 4 Am to pee and
      decided to try the homemade hammock again. I caught a short nap in it and laid there till
      daylight at a little before 6 AM. We cooked breakfast and broke camp and was on the trail
      at 8:15 AM

      The next day was the hike down and acrosss the gulf with a side trip to the Swoon (sp?)
      spring. The first mile from Hobbs was tricky on rocks that kept moving under us. I liked
      to melted on the hike up the Stage Coach Trail and had to change my wool pants for
      shorts and just hiked without a shirt. We got to the Stage Coach campsite around 2:30 PM
      so we decide the 4 miles to Savage Falls Campsite would be worth it sence it was
      supposed to set in raining that night. I was dog tired by the time we got to SFC. Wayne
      made a few remarks about my promice of an easy hike...I think we were all just glad to
      make it before dark, which we bearly did. We had time to set up camp and get supper
      started before dark and ate as the woods went black. We went ahead and put up our tarps
      and it was a good thing we did cause it started raining at 8 PM. it was 51 when we went to
      bed and 51 the next morning. It raind lightly while we broke camp and on the 2 mile
      hike back to the cars. we stoped for breakfast down on hy 28 at a hardies (the first place
      to eat on the way out).

      This was my first hike sence I popped my knee back in mid December and the hills were
      tough but it sure felt good to be out hiking again. Sure was nice to meet Wayne and hike
      with Dave again.

      Coy Boy