Re: Hammock Camping Thread?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 9:54 AM
      I can not disagree Karen. Perhaps we should also do some thread
      strength testing along with the webbing strength testing.

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, karens62@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 5/1/2003 10:18:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      geoflyfisher@y... writes:

      > > I have had nothing remotely close to a failure in a strap.> I do
      use a zigzag stitch, 2mm wide, 1mm long. I sew across the strap
      (double thickness) then back up all the way across the strap, then
      come forward again.

      > Interesting enough, it wasn't the sewing technique, but the thread
      itself. Because of my inherent laziness, I originally sewed it using
      different threads for the top thread and the bobbin - different
      colors actually. When I examined the stitching after it broke, it was
      VERY obvious that it was the very cheap, old polyester thread that
      had out and out broke. It had massive failure - this wasn't lines of
      stitching that broke one at a time, this was sudden and complete. I
      went right back in and re-sewed it with the Gutterman thread, have
      spent probably 50 hours in it so far and it's fine. There really is
      no reason that any polyester thread won't work, but more a comment
      that you often get what you pay for. For an extra $1.00, if you can
      get the good stuff, do it.